Who was your favourite character in Danganronpa?

• 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...

Whew to choose is also hard for me but my most faved top 3 are for sure:

1. Celestia - God I love her so much especially when she freaks out like a pro and act like the controlling queen she wants to be. Also her true name is so beautiful she shouldn't hate it that much <3

2. The despair sisters - because I can't choose between Junko and Mukuro hnnnggg at least Mukuro is so much more sweeter but then there is this huge despair... oh jesus <3

3. Byakuya - Who doesn't love this guy after all?! He is a great character <3

But I also love all the others, too there is no character I can't stand they are all unique and cool in their own way =D

Hard question indeed.

Male - That one guy which I can't remember his name (Hifumi) - I just love his design and his overdraw personality  :lol: 
Female - Celeste and Hina. Celeste for her calm (calm, heh) and extravagant personality. And her ring is just f*cking awesome  B)

5196.png

And Hina for... I dunno, being Hina I guess.

Male/Female - Chihiro ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

• Like 1

Just got done finishing this game and I had no idea it would be so good especially the characters.

From the beginning my favorite characters were pretty much set and stayed throughout the whole game.

My favorite male character is hands down Byakuya. Even though he's kind of an asshole (which led to some pretty funny moments imo) he was pretty badass at same time. Plus, his heart seemed to be not so terrible after all (at least towards the end xD).

My favorite female character is definitely Kyoko. I guess because she was one of the most intriguing characters. and is best girl

Runner ups would be Mondo and Celeste, besides that it's hard to pick any others. There's something likeable about every one of them.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

In Danganronpa 1, my favourite is definitely Kyoko, with Taka in a number 2 spot because he won me over during his free time events. 

In Danganronpa 2, (while Nagito was definitely the most interesting character), I obviously loved Chiaki the most, followed by Fuyuhiko (who had great character development inside and out of the free time events) and Nekomaru and Ghundam, whose free time events I loved. 

In order, from favourite to least favourite, here are all the characters from both games: :D (I love going overboard when giving my opinion on stuff I'm passionate about haha)

SPOILERS for both main games within my explanations!

Also, I haven't seen the Danganronpa 3 Anime arcs, so I won't be taking any of the info from there into account. 

I'll refrain from listing  Monokuma & Monomi because they're just a different kind of character somehow and I feel unable to compare them to the rest.

1. Chiaki: I figure she's many player's top choice. She's smart and often helps out during trials, she's kind and open, and is obviously there to connect to the player as she's a lazy gamer as well :P It was clear to me early on that she was too good to be true, so I figured she would be killed off early on (and dreaded every trial for this possibility), or that she'd turn out to be some mastermind psychopath that was behind a murder, or perhaps that she was the traitor. One of those things came true, but it happened without besmirching her character whatsoever. She's definitely the character I think of most fondly in the entire cast, and I love that she's got an extra dimension by just being digital, but having these human desires to connect to people.
  2. Kyoko: Early on, I didn't make much of her, but she gained my respect and affection throughout the game. I liked finding out things about her (sometimes along with her) and hoped she wouldn't be next often. I like that they made the player trust her to get to the true ending, but I still think the point where you're given the option to tell her about Sakura but then you can't is the absolute worst scene in the game. Don't give me the option if you won't let me do it! I felt cheated when she wouldn't talk to me for days for a decision I hadn't even made.
  3. Nagito: I love how Nagito was introduced and developed. In the beginning, he was very much shaping up to be the Sayako of D2, but they upped the ante: They gave us the best early-game twist and it was a source of much entertainment throughout the game. I loved his take on the concept of "luck" and his Trial is the best Trial in the series in my opinion.   
  4. Fuyuhiko: He grew from an annoying character into a likable and reliable companion through an arc that makes sense. Just a very well-written character.
  5. Taka: Even though he was undeniably annoying sometimes, there was something there in Taka. This thing I can't name that I liked about him. Especially seeing him open up to Mondo (and later being so devastated upon his guilt) and having him open up to us during the free time events really spoke to me, and make me think we'd be good friends in real life despite our differences. I didn't really like/get the whole Mondo transformation thing and I think the character was given a disservice by being the lesser half of a trial's murder victims.)
  6. Ghundam: He's very much the Taka of D2 for me. There was just something there. I loved his design and voice actor and his love of animals was both interesting and gave a glimpse into his true nature, which we got to see further at the end of his trial and during his adorable free time events. 
  7. Chihiro: While I didn't really care about the gender reveal thing in itself, I thought Chihiro was a really brave and upstanding character and he seemed like the only person who genuinely wouldn't hurt a fly. I'm happy that he lives on in Alter Ego, since that way he's a continued source of strength. Still got sad during the School Mode ending that she was gone :( 
  8. Hina: A nice girl who I felt I connected to and that I could trust. I respected her friendship with Sakura and her horrible decisions during Sakura's trial, as they showed a glimpse of depth we hadn't seen before. She was mostly a rock throughout the first game and I liked our conversations in the free time events.
  9. Celestia: I didn't like Celestia per se, I even outright disliked her heavily. I hate liars and deceivers more than anything. And yet, that was the thing that made Celestia interesting. I never did know how to take whatever she said. While I hate that kind of ambiguity in real life, it made her very intriguing in the game.
  10. Nekomaru: He was always cheery and supportive, and I felt I could trust and rely on this guy all the time, without it being so overt that I felt I had to keep an eye on him like Nagito, for example. He was the guy I spent a lot of free time events with during my playthrough because I just liked to hang out with him. Also didn't mind all those homoerotic jokes :P His transformation into a robot is still one of those things where I don't know what to make of it.
  11. Sakura: Though I didn't pay much attention to her throughout the campaign until her Chapter showed up, I now respect her as one of the most honourable characters in the series. The Ned Stark, if you will. I liked her general attitude and feel she was one of the people that "deserved" to escape most. 
  12. Mondo: He was abrasive, sure, but his thoughts on brotherhood resonated with me. I was hoping to get to know him better throughout the game and was sad to see him go.
  13. Toko: Throughout all my interactions with her, including free time events, etc., there was never a moment where I actually liked or felt connected to or sorry for Toko. But she is one hell of a well-written character, especially with her well-designed Jack persona. For some reason, I view her to be, alongside Byakuya, one of the most iconic characters in the series if that makes sense. 
  14. Byakuya: I can't stand Byakuya and I never will. However, there's something of good writing here too. You expect him to soften up a little bit as you progress. And he never does, which holds its own kind of merit as a narrative decision. He's brilliantly written and voice acted. Much like Toko, I find him to be iconic for the series. 
  15. Junko: I'm neither flabberghasted, nor completely disappointed by the big bad in the series. The multiple personalities thing feels kind of added on to keep people entertained, but it ends up masking that there's not much to her as a character. There's just one thing: Despair, and in a way that is good writing, since that's exactly the only thing she stands for. She's also written sufficiently aggravating so that you just want to see her fail by the end of each game. 
  16. Hajime: He's assertive and skeptical, but still sufficiently kind. A believable character that's a good proxy for the player, often reacting the same way a normal player would. His revelation as Izuru is generally cool, but overshadowed by other twists in the final trial. I actually didn't like the very ending of the second game so much, as Hajime's decision to "be both" seemed like somewhat of a cop-out. 
  17. Ibuki: I didn't think much of her throughout the campaign, except that she reminded me of an old acquaintance who always reacted exaggeratedly to everything. I did become sad playing her free time events after the campaign though, as I realised this was a sweet, innocent girl who got violently murdered. :( 
  18. Akane: I never really felt connected to her in any way, and she's not the brightest either. I respect her for her friendship with and loyalty to Nekomaru, though. 
  19. Makoto: I loved his designation as The Ultimate Hope at the end of D1, it was very fitting. Too fitting: it's all he is. He's a tad too positive, and kind people are nice and all, but there isn't much depth or interesting things there. 
  20. Sayaka: Sayaka's friendship and betrayal was effective, to say the least. I was getting close to her, and I was already fearing that it was all too good to be true before she got killed, after which her true nature quickly became clear. I feel like our entire relationship had just been an act to get close to Makoto and frame him, so I can't really judge her character much, since all I really know is that she's someone who'll deceive and kill innocents to get to see her band again, which doesn't really earn her any points. It's the writer's effectiveness in making us trust her that I respect here. 
  21. Peko: She caught my interest early on , probably because of her attitudinal resemblance to Kyoko, but I quicky grew bored of her. I liked hanging out with her during free time events, and I liked her "tool --> person who loves" arc, but she never really stuck in my mind for all that long. 
  22. Mahiru: I didn't really think much of her in the campaign, and wasn't affected by her death in the slightest. I grew to like her in her free time events, though there doesn't seem to be too much to her. 
  23. Sonia: Sonia was so miss-goodie-two-shoes-clueless-cutie all the time that I genuinely expected her to turn out to be a psycho killer at some point. That never happened. What also didn't happen, was anything else. She never really became interesting in any way. Sure, her dismissals of Kazuichi in favour of Gundham were entertaining, and I have nothing against her, but I definitely think she's one of the more boring characters in the series. 
  24. Hiro: He's not smart, he's not honest, he's not all that sympathetic either,... I feel no connection to Hiro and felt like he was the only survivor of the first game that just didn't "fit" in the gang for some reason. 
  25. Mukuro: Since it's not clear to see which parts of her are played and not from the main game, I'm taking info from Danganronpa If here: Bad guys turning good and shitting rainbows with their new-found friends is all well and good, but there was never really anything outside of that stereotypical narrative that was remarkable about her in my opinion. 
  26. Imposter: The most interesting thing about this character is the fact that he looks like someone we know. I think that says enough, doesn't it? His free time events and his thoughts of individuality were really nothing special, what else were the writers going to do them about? 
  27. Kazuichi: Throughout the game, I never grew any kind of rapport or connection with this guy. His crush on Sonia was entertaining, and he didn't kill anyone, so +1 for that, but other than that, he's just a boring recycled Leon in my opinion. 
  28. Leon: Leon is the kind of guy that's cool to hang out with, but that you really can't get close to or trust at all. In other words, a fair-weather friend. I don't like those. 
  29. Mikan: Not only is she incompetent to the point of being annoying (and her overly high pitch of voice doesn't help), she's also apparently a murderous psycho? I did not find that reveal to be interesting at all, and her free time events made me squint in disbelief rather than make her interesting. 
  30. Hiyoko: An insufferable little monster with little redeeming factors. I'd feel bad for her loss of Mahiru had she given me any reason to think she didn't deserve the psychological pain of loss. I was relieved when she was killed and didn't enjoy my free-time events with her much. 
  31. Hifumi: I constantly wished this character would just shut up most of the time. His voice hurt my ears and he never commented anything that added something of value to the conversation or that gave him any depth at all. He may have been a mostly good guy and all, but overall he was boring and annoying to me. 
  32. Teruteru: Hifumi 2.0: even weirder design, even more annoying voice, even more obnoxious personality. If done right, a pervert character can generate some good laughs. It wasn't done right here. I was actively hoping he'd die soon so that I wouldn't have to be subjected to this torment too much, and luckily, I got my wish. If it had been anyone else, I may have given him some slack over his love of his mother, which I very much identify with, but nope, he was just TOO annoying and he 100% deserves this spot on my list as worst character in the series in my opinion. 

Whoo, well, there it is :) 

Edited by QuentinCle95
  • Like 2

8 hours ago, QuentinCle95 said:

Chiaki: I figure she's many player's top choice. She's smart and often helps out during trials, she's kind and open, and is obviously there to connect to the player as she's a lazy gamer as well :P It was clear to me early on that she was too good to be true, so I figured she would be killed off early on (and dreaded every trial for this possibility), or that she'd turn out to be some mastermind psychopath that was behind a murder, or perhaps that she was the traitor. One of those things came true, but it happened without besmirching her character whatsoever. She's definitely the character I think of most fondly in the entire cast, and I love that she's got an extra dimension by just being digital, but having these human desires to connect to people.

And you definitely didn't even play with proper voices, right?

Because if you did, the experience with Chii-chan... would be even 10 times better :awesome: 

8 hours ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

And you definitely didn't even play with proper voices, right?

Because if you did, the experience with Chii-chan... would be even 10 times better :awesome: 

For you. Different people have different tastes. I prefer English dubs, and that won't change because you constantly insist the Japanese is superior :P 

In English, I can empathize with voice intonations, recognize good acting, follow without having to read all the time, and without having to cringe over every female overactor.

It brings me closer to the characters, makes me feel like I know them personally as opposed to them being characters from a video game that react nothing like people I know would and that I need a translator to understand. F.i. I love Kurisu from Steins;Gate in any iteration, but I feel more attached to her English version because there's just something jarring about the Japanese versions of any given character. 

You don't have to agree with me (and I know you don't), I'm just saying, for all the great you experience from Japanese original dubs (and there's definitely something to be said about it being closer to the original vision of the characters, and truer to the cultural nature of a piece of work), it's all just lost on me. Rather I do things my own way and end up enjoying something heavily, than doing it in your superior way, but end up thinking it's just okay. 

It's kinda like if a friend were to constantly say "Blondes are always hotter in the looks department. You have to date blondes. You'll have a better experience." Well, I like brunettes, so that comment just doesn't really help me. You understand? :P 

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...