Is it worth playing the DLC first?

With the DLC being the (presumably full) prequel of this game, it being free (at least from the UK psn store) and me never having played the original, I was just wondering if it's worth playing the DLC before the main game? Do you need to know anything from American McGee's Alice to help with this game or is Madness Returns fully enjoyable as a standalone game with no prior knowledge?

Although it's been a couple of years since I played either of them, I would say however that I don't think it matters if you play them out of order. There are certainly narrative ties between the two, however I wouldn't say any knowledge of the original is vital - although it would help you understand the general premise for the Madness Returns.

I personally played the sequel first, and then returned to the original game a year or so later. I don't think my experience of the Madness Returns was any less having little knowledge of it's prequel.  

You'll apreciate the story on the second more if you play the first before it, but take into consideration that the first game is meant to be played with a mouse and keyboard, and IT will frustrate you, but I really think it's worth it, it was one of my favorite games back in the day.

Thanks for all the feedback. Doubt I'll get to it for awhile now with the Gamespy closure, but will definitely attempt the original game first. If I find it too frustrating as you've warned then I can always take a break and do Madness Returns instead and see if it makes me want to go back enough to put up with the controls.

• 1 month later...

So i just ordered this game because i realised i had a discount about to get outdated so i just flipped a coin and went on a tight sticky shit stick and just ordered this game, later i went to see this thread and now i am afraid i made a bad purchase, was it the DLC with the shit controls or the main game?

I did, but you need to know what you are getting in for - its VERY dated, and even at the time its controls were pretty twitchy - its from a time that a lot of 3rd person games were being built in unreal - at the time primarily a 1st person focused engine, and it really shows.

For plot its worth playing, and so if you can accept its flaws go for it, but don't expect a modern game,by any stretch of the imagination.

In a side note - The Madness Returns is a great game, have fun :)

So i just ordered this game because i realised i had a discount about to get outdated so i just flipped a coin and went on a tight sticky shit stick and just ordered this game, later i went to see this thread and now i am afraid i made a bad purchase, was it the DLC with the shit controls or the main game?

The one with the frustrating gameplay is the first game, the DLC. Madness Returns plays like a dream, no worries there.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

The only challenge in the entire game is the unexpected moments the game decides to take the wheel, purposefully driving you off the edge towards your death.

Literally you will WTF?, and get irritated over it...so do save whenever you feel is necessary.

Also there is no Difficulty trophies in the DLC, so go for Easy mode...the higher modes just add more enemies...which with these already fucken mechanics is something you don't want...especially those fucken Screaming mother Fuckers who can push you off the platform.

Also I would advice playing the DLC first for:

A)Get the Frustration out already.

B)The game is Called "Alice: Madness Returns" because it's the Sequel to the DLC Game that was First originally released on PC back in 2000. In the first game she feels guilt for how her family died in the fire, and in "Alice: Madness Returns" it takes place years after she was released from the Asylum now searching for who caused the fire that lead to her Madness in the first place.

Her own Wonderland helps Discover the "Truth" Locked in her memories revealing the true event around the Fire Incident.

Edited by DarknessKey92
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...
  • 3 months later...

There is a word to describe American McGee's Alice gameplay on PS3 and that is... Atrocious. It took me 2 or 3 hours to beat that annoying Jabberwock. Never again. This is what one gets when playing a 3D platformer with shooting developed for mouse and keyboard. To add insult to injury it even heavily stutters. What a piece of junk. Anyone reading this that has yet to play it is highly suggested to play it on the easiest mode. harder isn't more challenging is just more infuriating.

Said that I played it after the Platinum on main game. I really don't see much added to the story, Alice Madness pretty well explains most things. Actually the first game even makes more sense after having played the second. I doubt I would have ever guessed Alice had been in a asylum otherwise.

• Like 2

• 4 months later...