Trophy Hunters League - Season 41 - Sign up now!

I'm stuck in work at the moment :(  I've got a cold as well so I could've quite easily phoned in sick this morning.

Really need to go home and get going on a few games;  although maybe I should start bringing my Vita to work to play during my lunch/breaks.

Got a fair backlog of Vita games I could be working through...plus Gravity Rush if I can ever bring myself to play it again!

If there is 4+ on the waiting list i will make a Qualifying league, with the top 1 (if 4 in qual league) or top 2 (if 8 in qual league) will move into bronze league whilst 2 in bronze league will move down to qual league :) 

Just to let everyone know, the first post has now been updated to show all the competitors, fixtures, rules, waiting list and a permanent link to the league tables, Results from the previous fixture will also be to come once one has been played  :awesome:

From the first few pages talking about using rarity why not just the Statistics page in the profile? Put in their starting number of trophies

n9Njmv5.gif

Then at the end of the "fixture" take the difference multiplied by the number of points they earn per trophy rarity.

For example if they gained 1 ultra rare, 2 Very rare, 1 rare, 7 uncommon, 16 common you could multiply those numbers by the appropriate point value. To make it really simple you could set it up in a Google Doc or Excel spreadsheet so that you all had to was input the starting and ending numbers for each "fixture."

From the first few pages talking about using rarity why not just the Statistics page in the profile? Put in their starting number of trophies

n9Njmv5.gif

Then at the end of the "fixture" take the difference multiplied by the number of points they earn per trophy rarity.

For example if they gained 1 ultra rare, 2 Very rare, 1 rare, 7 uncommon, 16 common you could multiply those numbers by the appropriate point value. To make it really simple you could set it up in a Google Doc or Excel spreadsheet so that you all had to was input the starting and ending numbers for each "fixture."

That'll be a completely different tourney entirely IF i decide to do it :) 

Basing a tournament on rarity is a practical nightmare, I had South Park platinumed within 3 days of release making that an ultra rare, but now it's become a much more common plat, if you are one of the first to play a game, all those trophies will be ultra rare/rare.. Over time these will become common. If I were to compete against another with them playing lego hobbit but I was playing lego Star Wars, the value of the trophies would be the same but the rarity vastly different, this therefore only benefits the people after ultra hard to get trophies or those with a disposable income lucky enough to get games on release day and complete them in a fast enough way to ensure the trophy rarity remains high

• Like 4

Basing a tournament on rarity is a practical nightmare, I had South Park platinumed within 3 days of release making that an ultra rare, but now it's become a much more common plat, if you are one of the first to play a game, all those trophies will be ultra rare/rare.. Over time these will become common. If I were to compete against another with them playing lego hobbit but I was playing lego Star Wars, the value of the trophies would be the same but the rarity vastly different, this therefore only benefits the people after ultra hard to get trophies or those with a disposable income lucky enough to get games on release day and complete them in a fast enough way to ensure the trophy rarity remains high

Well said, there would be ways to work around it i guess, but not without even further legwork from the host(s). Possible solution being ban games younger than 2 months form being score-able. Ex. FFX/X-2 would not earn points until the latest release date (EU 21st March) has bee surpassed by 2 months (21st May). Even so, the trophies would still likely be rarer than usual until say roughly 4-5 months after, at least it wouldn't be so bad.

Like Precision said, you could just ban games younger than 2 months old, or even longer. Problem solved. The rarity by that point will be low enough to determine if it's an easy plat or not.

A good example is FFX. By the time it was out here(3 months after Japan release), the rarity on the trophies were already pretty set to how they are now, and the current rarities are fairly representative of how difficult the trophies are. 

The point of the rarity system is to be a test of skill, so of course those that get the hard to get trophies would be rewarded, because they have the skill to get them.

A competition based on number of trophies just shows who has the disposable income to buy the most games and who has the most time on their hands. For example, I could run out and buy 4 games that have plats less than 10 hours long, and do one a day during each fixture, and get 4 full sets of trophies. Then go do it again for the next fixture. It'd be hard to compete with that, my points would be super high, but it has nothing do with anything but the fact that I have a lot of free time and disposable income. There's not much skill involved in that.

Basically, all I'm saying is that the disposable income argument can easily go both ways, but a competition based on rarity would be a better reflection of a player's gaming skill. Since even if you do have the money and time to go out and play tons of games, it won't matter because it would take real skill or time investment to get those rarer trophies.

Like Precision said, you could just ban games younger than 2 months old, or even longer. Problem solved. The rarity by that point will be low enough to determine if it's an easy plat or not.

A good example is FFX. By the time it was out here(3 months after Japan release), the rarity on the trophies were already pretty set to how they are now, and the current rarities are fairly representative of how difficult the trophies are. 

The point of the rarity system is to be a test of skill, so of course those that get the hard to get trophies would be rewarded, because they have the skill to get them.

A competition based on number of trophies just shows who has the disposable income to buy the most games and who has the most time on their hands. For example, I could run out and buy 4 games that have plats less than 10 hours long, and do one a day during each fixture, and get 4 full sets of trophies. Then go do it again for the next fixture. It'd be hard to compete with that, my points would be super high, but it has nothing do with anything but the fact that I have a lot of free time and disposable income. There's not much skill involved in that.

Basically, all I'm saying is that the disposable income argument can easily go both ways, but a competition based on rarity would be a better reflection of a player's gaming skill. Since even if you do have the money and time to go out and play tons of games, it won't matter because it would take real skill or time investment to get those rarer trophies.

What about the trophies that are rare because of the time you need to put towards them. It doesn't always show skill, but dedication which isn't a gauge of skill at all. If this was something to be taken to an extreme serious point of view then I can understand it, but I'm assuming most people doing this are taking this as a fun way to motivate them to get trophies rather than be an uptight competition where victory is needed at all times.

• Like 1

What about the trophies that are rare because of the time you need to put towards them. It doesn't always show skill, but dedication which isn't a gauge of skill at all. If this was something to be taken to an extreme serious point of view then I can understand it, but I'm assuming most people doing this are taking this as a fun way to motivate them to get trophies rather than be an uptight competition where victory is needed at all times.

To add to this, there may be Ultra Rare plats that are Ultra Rare because of there being a degree of luck

For example, LittleBigPlanet Karting. The platinum is really, really easy, but the trophies glitch for a lot of people. I got through the game without any trophies glitching, whereas my friend got a ton of glitches.

Just because it's Ultra Rare, doesn't mean it's hard.

• Like 1