Tournaments are working!

shadowblade528
Message added by Stevieboy,

There have been many posts removed or edited that have been discussing boosting the tournaments. This is against forum rules and will result in this thread being locked if it continues. It is fine to discuss the tournaments, but not to arrange boosting in them. That is what the gaming sessions feature is for. Please refrain from comments that are attempts to arrange boosting in this thread from now on.

Also, posting in a thread that you have made a gaming session counts as arranging boosting, and is also not allowed in the forum. You are permitted to post this in a status update though.

My buddy joined a tourney at the same time I did. He's a different rank, so we weren't together, however he errored out on the 3rd round like I did. Seemed like about 1/3 of the tournaments errored out and booted us.

We were waiting around until the tournaments ended to see if a new schedule popped up. As many of you know, it didn't. He saw in the server chat that one of the lower ranked tournaments was won by an obvious Ken smurf. He said everyone wanted to murder him for smurfing. They were out for blood.

Moral of the story: if you're going to smurf, at least make it look believable. Geez.

10 minutes ago, Johnnybaz85 said:

Got kicked out and lost without even getting to fight a round, so here goes another wasted tournament. Hope we get another one soon

At least it'll count as 1/5, either total or added to any others. My trophy for joining your first tournament happened when they errored out instantly, so hopefully it's keeping track.

If he was in it for the trophies and was smurfing to "secure" the wins, I see no point in pretending. I've never seen a smurf pretend in any game I've played. 

No new date announced, I suppose the tournaments are not even a weekly event, if it is the same as others like DBFZ for example.

This all makes it way too painful to keep striving for those trophies, just the amount of time wasted crossing fingers. Honestly all of this "they should change the trophies" is wishful thinking, I doubt they care to do it. I hope they prove me wrong. I'm tired of waiting to get this platinum. 

8 hours ago, Sagaftw3 said:

If he was in it for the trophies and was smurfing to "secure" the wins, I see no point in pretending. I've never seen a smurf pretend in any game I've played. 

No new date announced, I suppose the tournaments are not even a weekly event, if it is the same as others like DBFZ for example.

This all makes it way too painful to keep striving for those trophies, just the amount of time wasted crossing fingers. Honestly all of this "they should change the trophies" is wishful thinking, I doubt they care to do it. I hope they prove me wrong. I'm tired of waiting to get this platinum. 

I didn't get to interview the guy, so I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty the motivation behind it. There were definitely a lot of trophy and pc achievement hunters talking in the live chat, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if he just got good outside of ranked and sandbagged the placement to make the cheevo easier. It's honedtly not difficult to at least hypothesize his/her motivation. 

Edited by Kittens Are Awesome

3 hours ago, Kittens Are Awesome said:

I didn't get to interview the guy, so I couldn't tell you with 100% certainty the motivation behind it. There were definitely a lot of trophy and pc achievement hunters talking in the live chat, though, so it wouldn't surprise me if he just got good outside of ranked and sandbagged the placement to make the cheevo easier. It's honedtly not difficult to at least hypothesize his/her motivation. 

Even though I haven't been able to try lately, the fact that they assigned ranked to the tournaments AND you have to actually win matches makes it so there's no incentive to rank up in normal play because you are just going to fight harder competition the higher you go, even if you are "better" than your rank. If it was just participating then yea, no reason to stay low rank.

I am one of those people. I did my placement matches with Jamie before I knew how to really use him (just cause of the tournaments) and I would say I'm a fighting game veteran and even though I definitely did not purposefully throw placement matches I ended up at Silver cause I lost to Guile and Deejay and I think cause I picked the second lowest starting option (since I didn't know how to play Jamie, even though I knew fighting games.)

It's not like I'm using an alt account, but even still I wouldn't want to play ranked anyway, so based on who I have played I'm probably high Gold or at least Platinum yet I'm Silver from placements. I'm sure if I put in effort I could hit Diamond / Master but I ain't doing any of that until these stupid tournament trophies are done.

So I wouldn't exactly say I'm smurfing just because of their stupidity, since I would've been done by now instead of months later where my skill level is increasing more than my placements. When if it functioned correctly it still would've been accurate probably at the time.

Just saying.

5 hours ago, zeth07 said:

Even though I haven't been able to try lately, the fact that they assigned ranked to the tournaments AND you have to actually win matches makes it so there's no incentive to rank up in normal play because you are just going to fight harder competition the higher you go, even if you are "better" than your rank. If it was just participating then yea, no reason to stay low rank.

I am one of those people. I did my placement matches with Jamie before I knew how to really use him (just cause of the tournaments) and I would say I'm a fighting game veteran and even though I definitely did not purposefully throw placement matches I ended up at Silver cause I lost to Guile and Deejay and I think cause I picked the second lowest starting option (since I didn't know how to play Jamie, even though I knew fighting games.)

It's not like I'm using an alt account, but even still I wouldn't want to play ranked anyway, so based on who I have played I'm probably high Gold or at least Platinum yet I'm Silver from placements. I'm sure if I put in effort I could hit Diamond / Master but I ain't doing any of that until these stupid tournament trophies are done.

So I wouldn't exactly say I'm smurfing just because of their stupidity, since I would've been done by now instead of months later where my skill level is increasing more than my placements. When if it functioned correctly it still would've been accurate probably at the time.

Just saying.

I saw people in Gold tournaments who had other characters in Platinum/Diamond, and their Gold character was intentionally being leveled down from Platinum 1. Also, there's no tournament specific to Master, so you could get someone like than in round 1 of the Platinum-Diamond league. Whatever you pick, there's probably someone way better than they should be.

Edited by shadowblade528

2 minutes ago, shadowblade528 said:

No announcement yet. I think there's gonna be an update for the game at 3am when the Battle Pass ends, but I'm not sure if they'll mention tournaments or not.

they seriously need to get bombarded with complaints so they overhaul the entire thing. It can't be THAT hard to allow/add custom tournaments that work toward these? the foundation is there. Then people can practice tournament layouts or something. Who knows. They need to fix it entirely though. 

7 hours ago, zeth07 said:

It's not like I'm using an alt account, but even still I wouldn't want to play ranked anyway, so based on who I have played I'm probably high Gold or at least Platinum yet I'm Silver from placements. I'm sure if I put in effort I could hit Diamond / Master but I ain't doing any of that until these stupid tournament trophies are done

I am basically in the same boat as you. This whole tournament fiasco kinda broke the experience for me. I basically easily achieved gold 4(12000 LP) in first week or two, but stopped playing because maybe I will need DeeJay to play in tournaments. In the end I am playing a bronze Honda and training in battle hub against randoms. That started poorly (I never played honda and basically picked him because he is hard for low ranked people to play against), but now I am pretty sure I am at high gold level or better. Still lost  one match in ranked to a Bronze Lily who did one target combo offer and over again, lol. So, it's not like I am sandbagging everyone but I would be glad for the trophy to end already.

Capcom dragging this to MONTHS of waiting is bizzare.

47 minutes ago, Infected Elite said:

they seriously need to get bombarded with complaints so they overhaul the entire thing. It can't be THAT hard to allow/add custom tournaments that work toward these? the foundation is there. Then people can practice tournament layouts or something. Who knows. They need to fix it entirely though. 

They have been, and it didn't change anything.

These last tournaments not beign announced either in social media or their useful schedule only proves that they wanted these to go unnoticed or at least be able not to acknowledge them if they failed IMO. That is why I wanted to point that out the moment the announcement IN GAME appeared after maintenance. They don't want to deal with the heat. 

Aside from the laughable amount of kudos, there is nothing worthy in playing in a tournament and putting aside 2 hours when they want. The trophies are the only incentive currently. I doubt they will change it, and if they do, you also risk that they could change the trophies to ask for a specific Rank and make it unreachable for most. I bet they will give up at some point and enable the tournament to be created by users.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Pepe_el_Mago said:

Hey guys, any way to check when is the next tournament coming? is there like set dates or something? I tried to check the capcom event webpage but they dont appear there :(

Unfortunately no, at this point I've accepted this plat is only happening by 2025 or so lmao

2 hours ago, Pepe_el_Mago said:

Hey guys, any way to check when is the next tournament coming? is there like set dates or something? I tried to check the capcom event webpage but they dont appear there :(

If there's a new tournament, it'll usually be announced in the News section of the options menu in-game. You can also check the event counter to the left when you enter the Battle Hub. Or just check this thread every now and then, and I'll post about it when it happens. I also made this account for that very purpose: Are Tournaments fixed in SF6? (@fixsf6tourney) / X (twitter.com)

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NeedleMover said:

I thought after last time they would do it more frequently but if they really take this long between each one, it might be 5 years till I get this trophy 

Thats because the last tournament crashed and burn after second round, if it would have went flawlessly probably we should have had 2 or 3 tournaments this week

Edited by DeepEyes7
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Don_Chipotle said:

Serious question: is this trophy as annoying and broken as the tournaments in virtua fighter 5 ultimate showdown?

The real problem with SF6 tournaments right now is that you have to wait for them to happen. They're a scheduled event, not just a mode you can select. They also are highly likely to mess up even when they do happen.

• Like 1