Allenbird's Quest for Every Platinum

allenbird

This is really inspiring.

I sometimes wish I had the skill to complete games so that I can get my completion percentage higher. However, I also think that I am not going to do that and I will just play the games I want to for as long as I want to and not particularly try for trophies

• 4 weeks later...

Think i might finally make my own list. and figured i might have to steal your layout and claim it as my own. 

While it is a given that yours is better, I happen to love how simple your concept is. 

Iv been told you can hit a character limit though right?

you have to be getting close no?

Think i might finally make my own list. and figured i might have to steal your layout and claim it as my own. 

While it is a given that yours is better, I happen to love how simple your concept is. 

There is a character limit Jazz, but it seems to reach pretty far if you stick to limited characters. If you're following his style, you should be able to keep the code and the characters pretty limited, giving you lots of space :)

Thats what happened to me :(. So instead of giving my thoughts on each game I am just giving my thoughts on the new ones in the comments

Not to be negative or anything but....

1. What happens after you do?

2. The fun doesn't eventually get lost in approaching gaming like this?

3. When do you have time to do anything else? (friends, family, significant other...)

hmm well I can't tell. Are you trying to be negative? Just looks like 3 questions to me which I will answer with no issues :)

1. Well after I get that platinum I will continue on and go on to the next game. I am not sure what game that will be just yet.

2. This is a good question. I have approached this question many times in other threads. This is a good place to address it though.

When I started gaming back in the early 80's with my Atari, it was just fun to play in such a way that didn't involve going anywhere or having to ask to go outside or anything like that, so gaming started out as a cheap form of entertainment that as you can believe did get me in trouble at times for playing longer than I probably should. As I grew older, objectives in games began to get more complicated than "reach the end of the level without dying". Soon in games like Ultima, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, it was more about exploring maps, and dungeons in order to fight monsters and find treasure, much like many of the DragonLance books I had read up to that time. After I got out of the military and go my first playstation, it became a competition with my friends who came around to play Crash Bandicoot and find every box and complete the level to 100%, or playing Tekken 2 and learning all of their moves. for me, I wanted to learn the moves of everyone in the game, finish Final Fantasy 7 completing every side quest, leveling every character to 99 and getting everything I could out of a game. 10 years later the PS3 comes out and after many other different games, my goals and compulsions have only got stronger. In Oblivion, I leveled my character the highest he would go and even went out of my way to find every side quest I could. In Metal Gear Solid 4, I played through the game multiple times to get those badges and experiencing the game in different ways, completing it from a different angle. Then Trophies were introduced, and I felt that finally there was a system in place where I could actually track my progress and see how I am doing in a specific game. If there is something more I could get out of a game, usually a missing trophy would lead me to it. Which brings us to present day, in which I have gathered almost 10,000 trophies in over 4 years of collecting them in over 200 different games. To me that is a whole lot of fun. My objectives are the same, but trophies give me a guideline and getting those trophies are what is fun to me. I still love to explore and find everything I can in a game. If they were to do away with trophies, i probably would change much. They have opened me to alot of different games that I probably wouldn't have played before, but I only see that as a good thing.

3. I work 5 days a week, 9 hours a day monday through thursday and usually around 7-8 hours on Fridays. Most of my free time is spent playing games. But as a responsible adult, with a wife and a daughter, with 2 vehicles to maintain and driving 2 hours everyday to and from work, that isn't a lot of time. I would say some times I have more time to play games than others. I control when I play and when I don't play and it is up to me to set those boundaries now. I make sure that I do spend time with my wife, that I clean the house, that I take time to work on the cars when they need it and make sure they are always in good shape. I am happy in my life because I do take care of those things. I get to work on time, my wife is happy, my daughter is loving and always excited to come stay with me. I guess the simple answer to your question is that I TAKE time to do the important things. As important as gaming is to me, there are things much more important that are easy to put the controller down for.

I hope this answers your questions :)

• Like 2

hmm well I can't tell. Are you trying to be negative? Just looks like 3 questions to me which I will answer with no issues :)

1. Well after I get that platinum I will continue on and go on to the next game. I am not sure what game that will be just yet.

2. This is a good question. I have approached this question many times in other threads. This is a good place to address it though.

When I started gaming back in the early 80's with my Atari, it was just fun to play in such a way that didn't involve going anywhere or having to ask to go outside or anything like that, so gaming started out as a cheap form of entertainment that as you can believe did get me in trouble at times for playing longer than I probably should. As I grew older, objectives in games began to get more complicated than "reach the end of the level without dying". Soon in games like Ultima, Dragon Quest and Final Fantasy, it was more about exploring maps, and dungeons in order to fight monsters and find treasure, much like many of the DragonLance books I had read up to that time. After I got out of the military and go my first playstation, it became a competition with my friends who came around to play Crash Bandicoot and find every box and complete the level to 100%, or playing Tekken 2 and learning all of their moves. for me, I wanted to learn the moves of everyone in the game, finish Final Fantasy 7 completing every side quest, leveling every character to 99 and getting everything I could out of a game. 10 years later the PS3 comes out and after many other different games, my goals and compulsions have only got stronger. In Oblivion, I leveled my character the highest he would go and even went out of my way to find every side quest I could. In Metal Gear Solid 4, I played through the game multiple times to get those badges and experiencing the game in different ways, completing it from a different angle. Then Trophies were introduced, and I felt that finally there was a system in place where I could actually track my progress and see how I am doing in a specific game. If there is something more I could get out of a game, usually a missing trophy would lead me to it. Which brings us to present day, in which I have gathered almost 10,000 trophies in over 4 years of collecting them in over 200 different games. To me that is a whole lot of fun. My objectives are the same, but trophies give me a guideline and getting those trophies are what is fun to me. I still love to explore and find everything I can in a game. If they were to do away with trophies, i probably would change much. They have opened me to alot of different games that I probably wouldn't have played before, but I only see that as a good thing.

3. I work 5 days a week, 9 hours a day monday through thursday and usually around 7-8 hours on Fridays. Most of my free time is spent playing games. But as a responsible adult, with a wife and a daughter, with 2 vehicles to maintain and driving 2 hours everyday to and from work, that isn't a lot of time. I would say some times I have more time to play games than others. I control when I play and when I don't play and it is up to me to set those boundaries now. I make sure that I do spend time with my wife, that I clean the house, that I take time to work on the cars when they need it and make sure they are always in good shape. I am happy in my life because I do take care of those things. I get to work on time, my wife is happy, my daughter is loving and always excited to come stay with me. I guess the simple answer to your question is that I TAKE time to do the important things. As important as gaming is to me, there are things much more important that are easy to put the controller down for.

I hope this answers your questions :)

That was a mouth full (or finger full rather) but ok. For me personally, it would just feel like I traded in my gaming hobby for a trophy hunting one...which I guess I do consciously make sure doesn't happen. Hey wanna swap wives? Dunno if I'd have nearly as many platinums but I sure would get a lot more gaming done, lol (j/k). My wife just barely tolerates my hobby by in engaging in a 2 player beat'em up with me every now and then :P.

Damn :highfive:  What's 200 going to be?

Thanx Dr Mayus.

That is a good question. I have not thought that far into the future yet. Though future platinums are easier to plan than future trophy milestones. I mean I literally didn't play anything but MW3 until I got the trophies I needed. Something meaningful to me I suppose. When I get closer I will see what feels right and then go for it.

Thanx Dr Mayus.

That is a good question. I have not thought that far into the future yet. Though future platinums are easier to plan than future trophy milestones. I mean I literally didn't play anything but MW3 until I got the trophies I needed. Something meaningful to me I suppose. When I get closer I will see what feels right and then go for it.

you should finish EA sports active 2...so rare :holy:

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks Tom and congrats on that for you. 100 plats is awesome!

Riddick is one of my favorites as I got the game on release and loved the story part of the game. The MP was empty so I had to plan with other people when to play.

I have figured out my 200th platinum will be Mass Effect 1.

After my 4th playthrough and at least 80 hours of grinding on random planets trying to find resources for the companion trophies, I figured it was as good as any to make #200.

Edited by allenbird
  • Like 3