Need advice how to make Arms Race easy

Evil_Joker88

I started Arms Race two days ago and thought i could make it easy playing splitscreen with a low level hero as player 1 and my main hero (Lv 72) as player 2. Settings are easy mode and mayhem off. But it doesn't work. All enemies scale up to 5 or 6 levels higher than my hero Lv 72. It's hard to survive a couple of minutes. This makes Arms Race much harder than playing through everything else i've played so far (Base game + dlc 1-4) :(

Edited by Evil_Joker88
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, HuntingFever said:

If you want to speed up this DLC is to play solo with Mayhem Mode off but even then, it's not easy :(. Here's my Guide for this DLC on .org: https://www.playstationtrophies.org/forum/topic/324866-borderlands-3-designers-cut-road-map-and-trophy-guide/

Thx for the reply, not exactly what i was hoping for 😅...

I'm mostly surprised that the enemies' level are so much higher than that of my hero with apparently no way to change that :(

2 hours ago, veryrareoriginal said:

I never really had an issue with Arms Race. I think you're able to extract about 15 items iirc. 9 from 3 different extraction consoles and 6 from beating the boss. Just make sure you keep swapping out for the better items

Your comment doesn't help me at all. My problem is to survive more than a minute or two. I was only able to open the chest that spawns near my landing spot and i died after the first enemy encounter the few attempts i played this game mode.

29 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

My problem is to survive more than a minute or two. I was only able to open the chest that spawns near my landing spot and i died after the first enemy encounter

That sounds really odd, I don't remember that mode being THAT hard. I would need to install the game again to try it, but don't you have to start by looting a good chest? I think I remember going into a sewer area at the start to gear up.

• Like 1

Can't you play Arms Race on easy? I don't remember if that's possible, but if so it would help a lot. Maybe playing with two controllers just spawns more enemies, doesn't it?

I think it might be easier doing shorter runs, collect and extract what you can and go straight to the boss.

Arms Race is already harder than any other content; if you're doing it with Mayhem Mode activated that would explain why you're struggling.

I've played two more rounds and thankfully the enemies were at Lv 72-73, so i've been able to kill several of them. The only difference i can think of is that earlier i played with splitscreen or a second controller being active but no second hero spawned. Now i've played with only one controller active. i've been able to leet 3 chests but then have been killed by the Murdercane before i could extract anything. But it gives me hope that i'll be winning once...

5 minutes ago, GravityQueeen said:

Can't you play Arms Race on easy? I don't remember if that's possible, but if so it would help a lot. Maybe playing with two controllers just spawns more enemies, doesn't it?

I think it might be easier doing shorter runs, collect and extract what you can and go straight to the boss.

Arms Race is already harder than any other content; if you're doing it with Mayhem Mode activated that would explain why you're struggling.

I've played on Easy with Mayhem Off and Splitscreen active and i think Splitscreen made it harder than necessary.

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I've played two more rounds and thankfully the enemies were at Lv 72-73, so i've been able to kill several of them. The only difference i can think of is that earlier i played with splitscreen or a second controller being active but no second hero spawned. Now i've played with only one controller active. i've been able to leet 3 chests but then have been killed by the Murdercane before i could extract anything. But it gives me hope that i'll be winning once...

I've played on Easy with Mayhem Off and Splitscreen active and i think Splitscreen made it harder than necessary.

Great, thanks for the info!

So I'm pretty sure I played on easy, Mayhem off and without splitscreen. I guess these settings will help.

Edit: sorry for overlooking it, your settings were already explicit. Damn, I'm scratching my head here, trying to figure out what can make it more manageable.

In this mode you don't have access to skills/perks, right? It only makes everything harder. Are you grabbing a shield and tried to play a bit defensively? I remember that once I got a good gun in the run, I would go for the boss fight. There are bases full of enemies and these bases are hard no matter what. I also remember that I used to run a lot and not engage in fights that were too hard for me. Well, sorry if I can't help more now. I will let you know if I come up with any idea. Let us know how are your runs going and if you're making progress.

Edited by GravityQueeen
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, GravityQueeen said:

Great, thanks for the info!

So I'm pretty sure I played on easy, Mayhem off and without splitscreen. I guess these settings will help.

Edit: sorry for overlooking it, your settings were already explicit. Damn, I'm scratching my head here, trying to figure out what can make it more manageable.

In this mode you don't have access to skills/perks, right? It only makes everything harder. Are you grabbing a shield and tried to play a bit defensively? I remember that once I got a good gun in the run, I would go for the boss fight. There are bases full of enemies and these bases are hard no matter what. I also remember that I used to run a lot and not engage in fights that were too hard for me. Well, sorry if I can't help more now. I will let you know if I come up with any idea. Let us know how are your runs going and if you're making progress.

Correct. You have no skills or weapons so have to acquire everything on-site. If I remember right, I used to hit the first chest I saw and grabbed the contents, then made a beeline straight for the boss and hoped for the best.

• Like 1

So today i tried again and won actually one round of Arms Race 🥳 Thankfully the Trophy for Exploring the map also unlocked during that run 😃 ... i was very lucky to have a strong shotgun with explosive type of ammo which dealt a lot of damage to the Boss even with no elemental type of damage. I was crouching behind a little obstacle to avoid being hit during the boss fight and i was able to extract 8 items in that run. So the next hour i'll focus on that :)

Playing splitscreen is a very bad idea btw. My hero #1 was lv 7, my hero #2 was lv 72. The enemies were 6 levels stronger than either of my heroes. Playing solo is the best option.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, GravityQueeen said:

Nice, good job! Great that you revealed the whole map, with that out of the way you will perform better. Keep going! Once you get hang of it it's a fun mode for sure.

I disagree. The map was revealed from the start and since i've killed the boss once, i'll run around without fighting but extract equipment until i reach 100 and delete the game after that.

I don't like this game mode.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Evil_Joker88 said:

I disagree. The map was revealed from the start and since i've killed the boss once, i'll run around without fighting but extract equipment until i reach 100 and delete the game after that.

I don't like this game mode.

The DLC is quite bad, short, and albeit annoying as hell to do even with a maxed level character. When you break it down, however, at the time Fortnite was (is) a thing (still...) and Gearbox had the bright idea that everyone would enjoy content such as that in a Borderlands game. Why? Who the Hell knows. The game mode DLC is trash and while that DLC is so left field - it was nice to see they did not forget about Axton and Salvador; though, if you ask me (and maybe @HuntingFever) they could have chosen a different setting for those two entirely, but whatever, I guess.

Edited by x410xDragon
Fortnite, not Fort Night. The typo's man.
  • Like 1

34 minutes ago, x410xDragon said:

The DLC is quite bad, short, and albeit annoying as hell to do even with a maxed level character. When you break it down, however, at the time Fort night was (is) a thing (still...) and Gearbox had the bright idea that everyone would enjoy content such as that in a Borderlands game. Why? Who the Hell knows. The game mode DLC is trash and while that DLC is so left field - it was nice to see they did not forget about Axton and Salvador; though, if you ask me (and maybe @HuntingFever) they could have chosen a different setting for those two entirely, but whatever, I guess.

This^

Both of the Season Pass 2 DLCs are hot garbage that didn't need to exist so just feel tacked on and like they were hastily slapped together in someone's lunch break.

• Like 2