Trophy Guides?

For those who are thinking of porting their guide from .com, I'm almost certain that there will be some issues. Over at .com the TGT and Admins don't want the guides on the site to be on other sites so that they'll have some exclusivity for the good guides there.

I think if ports are to be made you'd first have to consult the TGT / Admins on .com

No.

Guide authors own the copyright to their guides. I can do whatever I want with my guide.

Sadly, due to .com's bullshit "we also own everything you post" T&C clause, I can't remove my guides from there, no matter how much they don't deserve my guides, but I sure as hell can post them here, and so can everyone else.

No.

Guide authors own the copyright to their guides. I can do whatever I want with my guide.

Sadly, due to .com's bullshit "we also own everything you post" T&C clause, I can't remove my guides from there, no matter how much they don't deserve my guides, but I sure as hell can post them here, and so can everyone else.

Yeah I realise that you can post it where you want, but if you're still active on .com I expect there'll be some conflict if you do post it here

Yeah I realise that you can post it where you want, but if you're still active on .com I expect there'll be some conflict if you do post it here

Well, they can't do anything, and if they get upset about it then they're being very large, overgrown children, so I guess they shouldn't have shafted Sly and they wouldn't be in this position, as far as I see it.

Well, they can't do anything, and if they get upset about it then they're being very large, overgrown children, so I guess they shouldn't have shafted Sly and they wouldn't be in this position, as far as I see it.

I agree with Pie, we should be able to copy guides from one site to another, seeing as we wrote them ourselves. But, maybe we should ask a mod/TGT first.

I agree with Pie, we should be able to copy guides from one site to another, seeing as we wrote them ourselves. But, maybe we should ask a mod/TGT first.

Oh you can easily port it over if you want to but don't expect it to stay on .com for much longer. It would probably be put up for a re-write or a challenge

Oh you can easily port it over if you want to but don't expect it to stay on .com for much longer. It would probably be put up for a re-write or a challenge

Erm... No. They get tons of pageviews from their guides which already have extremely high Google rankings, etc, they don't delete guides for any reason unless it's going to be immediately replaced with a better one, which these would not, as they'd need to recruit someone to write it, etc. They don't even delete them at the author's request. I know, I've tried. Besides, the TGT there are mostly useless (no offense to Davey on this one, I know he does a lot), given the porting of guides to Wiki format isn't even done yet, months and months and months after the system switched, so it's not like they'd be ballsy enough to replace them.

If anything, they'd just try to outrank us on Google.

Nope, don't even ask, it's not their business. They have nothing to do with it. After all, I'm assuming you'd do it anyway if they said no, so what'd be the point?

At the end of the day we own copyright to it as it is our intellectual property. :)

And on my guides I have said I allow them to use it... now if I asked them to take it down they would have to right as I wouldn't be granting the use of it nomore?

At the end of the day we own copyright to it as it is our intellectual property. :)

And on my guides I have said I allow them to use it... now if I asked them to take it down they would have to right as I wouldn't be granting the use of it nomore?

Nope. It's in the terms and conditions, once you post it on there they can do what they want with it. :(

Nope. It's in the terms and conditions, once you post it on there they can do what they want with it. :(

They haven't had anyone legal look over it, I doubt it would hold up in court if anyone ever took it that far.

Come on guys, they are just walls of text written on the internet. I think it can be hardly considered "inellectual property" on a courtroom, and I doubt any of you would even go as far as going to a courtroom about it (even you Pie). If you wish to put them here, do so and don't complain if .com does something about it.

• Like 1

Not sure, I was going to do a system where people could post tips on trophies they've earned and other users could thumbs up/down to make sure the best ones go to the top.

Can I request that in ALL THINGS along the lines of (Thumbs) Up/Down, +/- that we discard the negative?

Sounds radical I know, but I've seen it time and time again abused on other sites, if something is good then by all means rate it positively, with the most highly rated appearing at the top (make sure to limit how many people can mark up), but when it comes to negatives, they're hardly never used correctly, always abused and disheartening to people who put in hard/good work but have to put up with idiots marking them down, it ruins morale.

Saying that, I'm all for Trophy Guides (ala .com), Trophy "Tips" displayed when drilling down into a specific trophy (ala .org), however I personally prefer .org's implementation of the Road Map and Trophy Guide which is integrated into the list which can automatically be set to filter out Trophies already earned.

I'm all about the Completion, finishing my games and finding other great players along the way to help me and help them, it's something I've been experiencing on another format via another website (TA) and am desperate to relicate (and improve upon) for the PS3 format.

• 3 weeks later...

erm...

Not sure, I was going to do a system where people could post tips on trophies they've earned and other users could thumbs up/down to make sure the best ones go to the top.

I think this is the best option to include a trophy guide element to a psnprofiles site. Maybe a thumbs up could equal a 'like this post' so ppl were motivated to post helpful tips for 'rep' :o

ye i dont think .com would care much tbh, but yea the tips idea is kool, much easier than 1 person in hcarge of a guide and only they can edit.

Yeah, and you got the 'thumps down' option for ppl who just copy/paste info from other sites :o (which is why the whole free wiki idea didn't work on .com - too much plagiarism.

Yeah, and you got the 'thumps down' option for ppl who just copy/paste info from other sites :o (which is why the whole free wiki idea didn't work on .com - too much plagiarism.

that is true....i like it cuz i did one myself, and i did it with a buddy, but he was unable to edit the thing himself so id have to wait for him to finish and send it to me as a Word .doc, which took awhile.....plus every time someone has a glitch notification/tip, only you can edit it, so they have to PM you, then its tag with that, then you have to go do that while doing possibly other stuff, its not very efficient compared to tips i think

Erm, even if we do persuade the guys over at .com to bring our guides over to this site, wouldn't we need the trophy guide 'forum' to be moderated by someone? I mean, what would happen if people just started making guides without being told or asked to, and we ended up with duplicate guides?

what would happen if people just started making guides without being told or asked to, and we ended up with duplicate guides?

Ugh, if we get trophy guides, please don't bring that utter fuckery over here. Them rules were ridiculous. I hate to say it, but .org's system was better in my opinion.

Erm, even if we do persuade the guys over at .com to bring our guides over to this site, wouldn't we need the trophy guide 'forum' to be moderated by someone? I mean, what would happen if people just started making guides without being told or asked to, and we ended up with duplicate guides?

I thought it was settled that there would be no actual guides and that all trophy hunting info would be added in a tips section on the trophy's own page

I thought it was settled that there would be no actual guides and that all trophy hunting info would be added in a tips section on the trophy's own page

so we would have tips from any user for each trophy?

so we would have tips from any user for each trophy?

Yep, only by users who have the trophy though. Other users will be able to thumbs up the comment and the highest ones will float to the top. A special trophy guide page for each game will list each trophy + the best tip.

• Like 3

Yep, only by users who have the trophy though. Other users will be able to thumbs up the comment and the highest ones will float to the top. A special trophy guide page for each game will list each trophy + the best tip.

Oh wow. Is this just planned, or currently in development? Can't wait to test it out.

yeah, i was thinking of a thing like that, kinda like yahoo answers :P