What's Your Go-to Difficulty Level in Games?

FluffyAssassin64

Difficulty Choices  

183 members have voted

1. 1. What's your standard difficulty choice in games? (I know the names differ between games, but you get the idea)

• Very easy (Pure story; I want to get through as quickly as possible and feel like a god while doing it!)
    • Easy (Less of a challenge; give me the story!)
    • Normal (Usually what the developer's 'intend')
    • Hard (Offers a stiff challenge)
    • Very Hard (You'll need to use everything you've got very well in order to survive)
    • Extreme/Impossible (You usually die very quickly, the enemies are crazy strong, no items, etc.)

If it's my first time playing a game I'll usually play it on the easiest setting to get used to it then after I beat it I'll play the hardest setting if it's unlocked, although if there are any difficulty related trophies involved I may just start off with a harder difficulty, especially if they stack with the easy ones.

If the game has difficulty selection i usually read the description to get an idea of what the mode is like and which is for my skill level.
one example of this that i can clearly think of atm is when i first played through gears of war 2 the hardcore difficulty stated "you know how to pull off a headshot" and i thought damn right i do! so thats what i base it on, however if it doesnt have a description i usually stick on normal or hard, occasionally easy if i feel i just wanna rush through something like a game im not keen on hahaa

In relation to the last of us i am slowly(when i get a hold of a ps3 lol) crawling through survivor mode after completing it on normal a quarter year ago with the intention, like most on here, to play through it once more but higher difficulty. 
Also happy easter everyone!

I always play on Hard first. Take The Last of Us, easy and normal were way too easy whereas hard was significantly more challenging and in my opinion the difficulty that the developers intended for the game to be played (excluding survivor). The only one that really annoyed me on hard though was Uncharted 1, ridiculously tedious  :angry:

Depends. For survival games, I normally start on easy, then kick it up a notch for the next playthrough(s) (Exception being The Last of Us, where I'm halfway through Hard). Shooters and RPGs I do normal or hard. The only two games I recall doing on the hardest difficulty were Remember Me (which wasn't that hard, save Episode 7) and BioShock Infinite, where I died a number of times throughout 1999 mode on my first run. Funny thing is, these two games mentioned are my fastest platinums. Difficulty seems to come with a reward for me.

• Like 1

The consensus seems to be 'normal' for the first run (depending on the game obviously), and then further hard runs for trophies/fun :D

So, what about MGS games? For me, hard in MGS3, for example, strikes the perfect balance between stealth and consequence, and avoidance of 'shooting action''

It all depends on the game and the trophies associated within the game.

I would go for easiest, then hardest, then easiest again for the collectible run. Unless....

The game has a super hard mode to unlock by playing on hard, then I'll play on hard first.

although in saying that tho, the some of the games I've recently completed I put it on hard first.

I generally go for easy or normal. Depends on whether there's a trophy for every difficulty, and whether I've played the franchise before. I'd prefer to enjoy the story without worrying that I'll die 40 times trying to get to the next checkpoint because of the higher difficulty. If there's trophies for higher difficulties, I will replay. Of course, if there's multiple difficulties but no trophies, I just go easy. It's fun for me :D

If there are difficulty-based trophies, I always start with the hardest difficulty available (Impossible available from start? BRING IT ON!).

For example, I beated Dead Space 2 on Zealot, blind run, and I added a personal challenge to the run: plasma cutter only (homage to DS1). Was a bit difficult, but the currency/inventory management was better, since I only needed one kind of ammunition, suit upgrades and I could spend the extra cash on healing items. And I'm actually thinking on a Nightmare plasma cutter only run as well.. I could get the rest of the weapon-based trophies in a lower difficulty so it's not a big deal.

Arkham City kind of "forces" you to play on Hard mode in order to prepare you for NG+. Kinda sad that Metro: Last Light made Ranger Mode a paid DLC (when it was part of the game on 2033)... Otherwise, I'd be rocking out that mode.

I think the only exception to "always play on impossible" was God of War 3, which I only beated on Titan (Hard). 

By the way, I legitimately just saw this on IGN just now; I've been out all day today and most of yesterday so I didn't get a chance to look at it until now.

Anyway, it's basically a Podcast Beyond (Beyond!) on IGN talking about what difficulty they play their games on; like always on IGN, the comments are more interesting than the video itself haha:

http://au.ign.com/videos/2014/04/19/video-game-difficulty-is-hard-too-easy-podcast-beyond