Fast Steel Farming?

MetalMario64

Hey mate, I did the mission in Private called "Clear for Landing" with Hoarder and Sprinter+ equipped. There are 8 Boomerang Billies in the level, and with Hoarder they (almost) always drop 1 Steel upon death. Sometimes you get lucky and one of the other blokes drops some steel too. I actually did my speed run on this level while getting all 8 steels (take the top path, it's quick). You also get (normally) 1/2 steel for finishing the mission, so at about 3 minutes, you get about 10 steel :D

I got the 'Craftsmanship' trophy after having done this level 5 times (got my last 100ish weapons/knives; although I did have lots of other materials at this point too).

Also, xzeusyx has a good method too; and he's got the Platinum, so what do I know? :P

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I realize I'm late to the party, but I found "Streets of Fire" to be quite decent for steel and glass farming.

I've been using Lawless M.I.A. It usually takes 40-55 seconds because I'm using Hoarder and Lucky Penny instead of Sprint. I may luck up and get 1-3 random steel drops and a guaranteed 1-5 steel bonus at the end. Still feels slower than molasses running uphill in January.

Is Streets faster? I may try Fluffy's strategy tomorrow. :|

I've been using Lawless M.I.A. It usually takes 40-55 seconds because I'm using Hoarder and Lucky Penny instead of Sprint. I may luck up and get 1-3 random steel drops and a guaranteed 1-5 steel bonus at the end. Still feels slower than molasses running uphill in January.

Probably not. There was no end-mission steel bonus. I started this method actually looking for glass and brass. There are several boomerang guys in the level that guarantee steel drops so I stumbled on a pretty quick place to get both glass and steel. 

My method is fast mate, trust me :P

My method is fast mate, trust me :P

K, I'll give it a go. Lawless MIA sounds good in writing, but I'm not getting a max bonus. It's usually like 1 to 3 steel each time.

Edit: I tried both Streets of Fire and Cleared for landing and found them both to good steel farming spots. They're actually the same map only with different objectives. I would have to say that Cleared for Landing is still better because of the bonus steel reward at the end of the mission.

I saw where someone posted Bridge Failure to be a good steel farming spot. I've read that elsewhere too and don't see where it's good for anything besides farming wood which is it's main objective. Sure it can be finished in 30 seconds, but the 1-4 steel reward (usually 1 or 2) isn't very "rewarding".

Edited by Rowdi

I find the easiest way to farm is to install hoarder.

Find an enemy who primarily drops the item you want.

Kill them walk away (they re-spawn), come back and kill then again.

This can easily get you 20-50 of the item in one mission.

Yeah not a bad idea at all; that would work for most things (Pikemen for fabric, mandrakes for wood). Only thing is that Steel is either a rare drop, or the enemies who drop it don't respawn (usually the case with boomerang billies). Definitely a solid tip though mate

I used Cleared for Landing for griding steel and found it to be more than adequate. However, I was surprised to find that while I was grinding out kills to finish out is that I was getting way more steel drops on Bridge Failure killing humanoids because of their respawn rate. I'd already finished all my crafting by that time, so it wasn't beneficial to pick all the steel up. :|

• 3 months later...

I did the mission in Private called "Clear for Landing

Definitely the best mission to get steel by far in my opinion. I tried this using Hoarder and Lucky Penny (And Medicine proficiency - Removes one negative effect from a bionic mod).

Just got about 16 steel in one playthrough of mission, took about 8 minutes (Getting other materials too - can be shorter). 8 always drop from Boomerang Bullies, got 4 from rare drops of other basic enemies, 4 for finishing the mission at end.

This isn't just good for steel, I got a good amount of silicon and polymer from killing other enemies along the way, two things I really needed, though not that much. Best place for steel though.

Edited by SoIidWoIf
  • Like 1