What series has only gotton worse?

DrBloodmoney

Hey y'all :)

We all know that in general video games are one of the only media that generally get better with the iteration of sequals, but I wondered the other day - what series do you guys think started good, but have only gone downhill after the first?

For me its the Batman Arkham games - I thoutht the first one was like a bolt from the blue - a damn near perfect game - but they have not managed to recapture that feeling with Arkhm City, the very poor Arkham Origins - and I just cant get excited about Arkham Knight as a result of thir current trajectory... :(

What about you dudes?

• Like 1

I think alot of people will say the Call of duty series, and since im a cod fan i have to admit its kinda true in someways.

When i was like 12 years old i started Cod2 and i spend about 2000 hours ( counted by xfire) on that game and when Mw2 came out i bought my ps3 and also spent about 1000 hours playing the multiplayer and completed singleplayer like 20 times, one of the best Singleplayer stories. but then multiplayer from newer cod series really started getting worse bit by bit. i didnt enjoy playing multiplayer anymore. still liked every singleplayer  story of the newer cods tho. but just the multiplayer is getting bad in my opinion 

Edited by HcG-_Clawz
  • Like 2

I think alot of people will say the Call of duty series, and since im a cod fan i have to admit its kinda true in someways.

When i was like 12 years old i started Cod2 and i spend about 2000 hours ( counted by xfire) on that game and when Mw2 came out i bought my ps3 and also spent about 1000 hours playing the multiplayer and completed singleplayer like 20 times, one of the best Singleplayer stories. but then multiplayer from newer cod series really started getting worse bit by bit. i didnt enjoy playing multiplayer anymore. still liked every singleplayer  story of the newer cods tho. but just the multiplayer is getting bad in my opinion

CoD has had its ups and downs tho - I doubt there are many folks that feel CoD 1 was the best in the series - IMO Cod 2, CoD Modern Warfare, World at War and Black Ops were all pretty good, MW2, MW3, Black Ops 2 and Ghosts are not, so that series is kinda all-over-the -place

Assassin's Creed is by far the worst, to me. It was only supposed to be a 3 game series at most, and now they release a new one every year with less and less story and constantly reused game mechanics.

Again, do you really feel that AC1 was the best? Most people seem to agree that 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag are all good, and Revelations and III are bad (though I personally really enjoyed Revelations)

CoD has had its ups and downs tho - I doubt there are many folks that feel CoD 1 was the best in the series - IMO Cod 2, CoD Modern Warfare, World at War and Black Ops were all pretty good, MW2, MW3, Black Ops 2 and Ghosts are not, so that series is kinda all-over-the -place

Again, do you really feel that AC1 was the best? Most people seem to agree that 2, Brotherhood and Black Flag are all good, and Revelations and III are bad (though I personally really enjoyed Revelations)

Well, if we're just going by what "most people" agree on, then your initial post is wrong. Because "most people" agree that Arkham City is better than Asylum. And obviously, that's why I posted it.

Assassins Creed seems to be following the Star Trek effect, only the even ones are any good.

1 was the foundation but wasn't great, 2 was a big improvement and had a compelling lead character, people liked Ezio enough for 3 games. 3 was dull and plodding.... and 4.... PIRATES!!!111

The Batman Arkham series has suffered from blowing all the big name bad guys early and having to pull from the B list.  If you're a Bat-fan it's cool but the more casual fan is going to be put off.

For me Devil may Cry was a series that slid down hill from the start.

This is probably a bit of an iffy one, but I'll say the Bioshock series; if you can call it that.

The first one was out-of-this world good (to this day, probably still my favourite game); the 2nd one was arguably more fun, but the story was lacklustre, and while the story in Infinite was incredible, the gameplay wasn't as good as previous games (though, unlike my friends, I still highly enjoyed it).

Kind of an excellent --> good --> great series haha

Edited by FluffyAssassin64
  • Like 1

I don't even count Origins in the Arkham canon frankly.  I understand that development was handled by a different team, and it appears to have been a cash-grab riding off the good-will of the other 2.  I haven't played it (I have read so many reviews which said to just go and play City again if you're in need of a Bat-fix) but don't feel like I missed anything.

Re: AC, I thought Ezio's mini-trilogy and 4 were the highlights of the series for me.  So I wouldn't say that it is in decline, but it does appear to peak and trough.  3 was still a very good game IMO, which only felt lacking compared to the very high standards the series had previously set itself.

I have all but given up on CoD.  The last one I played was Blops, which I just couldn't get into the MP with.  MW2 was the last one I enjoyed.  World at War was a bit of a dud.

Personally, I think GTA5 was worse than 4.  They were trying to tell a different kind of story, I understand that, but I never connected with the characters like I did with Nico.  Once I finished the SP on GTA5, I took the disc out, and moved on to something else, whereas I recall playing through GTA4 again almost immediately after completing it, as well as taking part in all the other activities on offer in Liberty City.  GTA5 just never grabbed me in the same way.

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'm going with Uncharted.

Uncharted 1: Really fun game.

Uncharted 2: Too much combat (I prefer climbing), with a horrid tacked-on multiplayer mode with stupid trophies

Uncharted 3: DLC trophies were even worse than Uncharted 2!

There's an exception to every rule. I really enjoyed Golden Abyss, which came out after UC3, but it takes first chronologically. So, chronological order, they've been getting worse. 

Well, if we're just going by what "most people" agree on, then your initial post is wrong. Because "most people" agree that Arkham City is better than Asylum.

I dont think they do - or at least the metacritic user reviews don't support your claim.

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'm going with Uncharted.

Uncharted 1: Really fun game.

Uncharted 2: Too much combat (I prefer climbing), with a horrid tacked-on multiplayer mode with stupid trophies

Uncharted 3: DLC trophies were even worse than Uncharted 2!

There's an exception to every rule. I really enjoyed Golden Abyss, which came out after UC3, but it takes first chronologically. So, chronological order, they've been getting worse.

its not gonna get hate (from me at least) - while I don't necessarily agree that 2 was worse than 1, I really think too muchhas been made of the jump from 1 to 2 - I though 1 was a fantastic game, I prefer 2 marginally, but 1 is a close second for me

Crash

I hate to say this but I think the crash series has earned a right to be here, I mean the main games were great but it when downhill 6th/7th gen.

Uncharted

I mean the first was a great piece of tech and game for 2007. I think the second one was good but then the third one came and it was so basic but I still enjoy it. After that Golden Abyss was a breath of fresh air even tho it was not great as the first or second one. The place where it started to seem like a cashgrab was when they released Uncharted: Fight for fortune which is a card game no one wanted. 

Jak and Daxter

I all got is that one is the best, two was not that bad but three was not even worth my shoelace. 

Call of Duty

Modern Warfare 1 and 2 was the saving grace of the series, after that the series is just a flop. 

Assassin Creed

The first one had to many mistakes but still enjoyable, the second one was amazing and different but 2.5 and 2.75 were bad in my opinion. 3 was not bad but there was something dodgy about the previews they showed us and the actual game, 4 is good but it's the sailing that's sometimes drags it down. 

Dead Rising 

Got really repetitive after 2. 

Now these could change but at the moment, these game series are the one I think got worst.

• Like 2

Assassins Creed, allow me to go on little rant and before I say this if you like the game/series more power to you.

At this point and time I consider the Assassins Creed series to be on the same level (if not worst) than Call of Duty, they have a similar concept to Bioshock but where as Bioshock uses constant and variables, Assassins Creed uses the history timeline therefore giving them an excuse to make countless games. The only big difference of course is that you don't see 2K / Feral Interactive shitting out 2 games a year, and I have played 4 games in the Assassins Creed series and all I saw was a reskined game, but as long as its selling it how can you blame Ubisoft for milking it. 

p.s. resident evil went downhill for most people but I actually disagree (apart from RE5 that was kinda terrible), I personally enjoyed RE6  and RE Revelations did a great job on the survivor horror aspect and maybe swung the series back to the right direction. 

Edited by Ellie