What series has only gotton worse?

DrBloodmoney

Assassin's Creed automatically comes to mind. I've only played the series up to memory sequence 5 of AC III but I think I've experienced enough to say "she just ain't what she used to be". It was all uphill from Brotherhood for me. Revelations felt so unnecessary and could've very easily just been a expansion pack for Brotherhood to conclude Ezio's story. The very brief time that I had with AC III wasn't very enjoyable. The pacing was just way too slow and full sync requirements for the missions felt like such a chore to do which took away from the fun. Just something seemed to be missing (even that early in the game) especially since I was on memory sequence 5 and had yet to see Connor as an actual assassin!

Edited by merciful84
  • Like 1

Dead Space   - excellent game

Dead Space 2  - Good game lost some of its atmosphere.

Dead Space 3 -  Bad -  Co-op cover shooter, with crafting (which i personally hate) , and all guns use the same ammo so there was never any fear of picking your shots with each weapon.

And you forgot the micro-transactions (in a full price release!!!) in DS3...

• Like 1

I'm going to get a lot of hate for this, but I'm going with Uncharted.

Uncharted 1: Really fun game.

Uncharted 2: Too much combat (I prefer climbing), with a horrid tacked-on multiplayer mode with stupid trophies

Uncharted 3: DLC trophies were even worse than Uncharted 2!

There's an exception to every rule. I really enjoyed Golden Abyss, which came out after UC3, but it takes first chronologically. So, chronological order, they've been getting worse. 

What do you mean takes first chronologically? Do you mean alphabetically? lol

I seem to be really tolerant to bad stories, for example, I enjoyed Dragon Age II (although I see and don't argue the points of the ppl who hated it) I though Dead Space 3 was OK (ending was weak). But to me the series that really lost me was Call of Duty.

Although I am not a CoD hater, it's the first series that really lost me after the godawful Ghosts.

As with everyone else, CoD

CoD 4 - One of my favourite games of all time

WaW - Decent game, nowhere near as good as CoD 4 though.

MW2 - In my opinion one of the most disappointing games ever made, hated everything about it. 

Black Ops - Not terrible, but still not great - they did change things up a little in this one, but overall it was like a 5/10 game. 

MW3 - I didn't buy this, my brother did - horrendous game. 

I haven't played much of the other two really, but from what I did play on Black Ops 2 it was terrible. 

As a big Resident Evil fan, I have to agree that the games have declined in quality. RE4 is the peak of the franchise, a near-perfect game - yeah, it did completely change the series, but I love it. RE5 was a good game, definitely got way too much unnecessary hate, but I can see why. RE6... the less said the better. 

Hopefully Zelda won't become a messed up series, it's the greatest of all time :/

i think that Batman Arkham series should be out of this discussion due Arkham Origins wasn't developed by Rocksteady, it was basically a side project.

Imo Dead space certainly lose its original greatness :(

Arkham Origins is still part of the series - if it had been good people would include it in the series, you cant just discount it because it was bad. Doesnt matter to me tho - I had a feeling it would be bad so I never bought it, but my less cynical friends did, and regretted it. Even without Origins it would still stand tho - Arkhan Asylum was a truly amazing game. Arkham City was a relatively good retread of the same formula, with some unnecessary side stuff thrown in

Arkham Origins is still part of the series - if it had been good people would include it in the series, you cant just discount it because it was bad. Doesnt matter to me tho - I had a feeling it would be bad so I never bought it, but my less cynical friends did, and regretted it. Even without Origins it would still stand tho - Arkhan Asylum was a truly amazing game. Arkham City was a relatively good retread of the same formula, with some unnecessary side stuff thrown in

Well, I never said it was good or bad. When it was announced i checked Rocksteady wasn't involved in the project, then for me it's not part of the original series. What made you have "that feeling that it would be bad"? because it's a prequel?

Edited by GoldenShaka

Sadly nearly everything Capcom makes.  There is series of theirs that is better left alone.

Here's a few to name and reasons why..

• Street Fighter: Too much DLC, wasn't as good as SFIII Third Strike.. it was a downgrade imho and Ultra is just rewrites from characters from Street Fighter X Tekken and Cammy with a few added moves.
  • Resident Evil: This series was only good when Shinji Mikami was there.. also, where is the Survival Horror? I played RE6 over on 360, may have only stuck it for Leon's campaign but not once did I feel like I was running out of ammo (note I do terrible at shooters - ammo is often used up quickly by me), then I tried Chris' campaign.. woah, is this a CoD?
  • Devil May Cry: Likewise, when the original developers left Capcom, and they handed it over to Ninja Theory it turned average.. not going to say bad as it wasn't a bad game, it worked, but just felt so average compared to the previous titles.
  • Like 1

no i completely forgot the handheld ones existed haha i may check them out :)

I can't speak for the Vita one since I've yet to play it but Retribution has the kind of challenge, length, and character development one would expect from a console title that the first 2 failed to deliver on.

Theres not alot of series I own and I normally don't see declines, series like Borderlands, Mass Effect and Uncharted have all gotten better in my opinion (although I fear with whats going on at Naughty Dog atm may hurt Uncharted 4)

I see most people here talking about Assassin's Creed and Call of Duty, Not suprising since their massive franchises....and both franchise that have been a massive part of gaming life. I own 6 Assassin's Creed games and 8 Call of Duty games.

With Assassin's Creed I'm conflicted, I still enjoy the gameplay and the different historic settings, while 3 was kinda meh I loved Black Flag...that being said to me I do feel the series has lost the mystery and excitement that I felt in 2 and brotherhood which I do miss :/ but I don't plan on giving up on the series anytime soon.

Black Ops 2 was the last Call of Duty I bought, deciding not to buy Ghost was kinda hard since I have been loyal to the series since Call of Duty 2 (I even got a PSP Call of Duty that came out) The series has had its ups on downs, I've always prefered Treyarch's games to Infinity Ward's. None the less I have put countless hours into it (I think around 500 into Black Ops alone) Black Ops and World at War where my favourite. But by the time I put some time into Black Ops 2 I finally got franchise fatigue, probably the main thing that impacted my discussion was with multiplayer games like CoD when your friends stop playing it, its hard for you to contuine...I've also grown more fond of objective based mutliplayer shooters like Battlefield. I don't regret not buying Ghosts...but at the same I don't regret the countless hours I put into the series.

On a side note I don't personal mind an annualised franchise if the company is well able to pull it of....Ubisoft is a massive company which is why they have been able to pump out an Assassin's Creed every year with different teams working on different games, and with the new deveolpment cycle with Call of Duty, i'm sure giving Treyarch 3 years to make a game, they can make a pretty damn good one.