What series has only gotton worse?

DrBloodmoney

RESIDENT EVIL - "4" completely killed the franchise, turning it from a Survival Horror into a generic Third-Person-Shooter series where one's required to hammer the buttons and wiggle the sticks, in order to perform any action. While I think the newer RE(s) are perfectly capable to stand their own ground, as games (I've managed to enjoy them, to some extent), I'd do anything to have again something similar to "2"; heck, I'd even accept something like Outbreak, at this point.

Devil May Cry - I could only enjoy the trilogy on PlayStation 2, "4" felt lazy/inferior/a drag to play. About the DmC reboot, meh, Devil Trigger mode way too overpowered, lack of a proper lock-on system, enemies failed to provide any challenge... Most of them fall to the same combo, woo-hoo.

Legacy of Kain - For me this series could have just died with Soul Reaver 2. I still played Blood Omen 2 and Defiance, since I liked the story, but their gameplay styles were disappointing.

Tomb Raider - With all the shooting and Quick-Time-Events i've encountered in the Reboot, I've thought I was going through re-skinned RESIDENT EVIL 6 and Uncharted.

I agree that CoD has it's ups and downs. 

But for me Assassins Creed got worse/ The last good AC game for me was Brotherhood.

Then there is Battlefield. The only game in the entire series i even enjoyed was BF3. BF4 was a spinning turd that wast infecting my PS3.

Soulcalibur has made me want to scratch out my eyes. My once loved series turned into something worse than Street Fighter. Which i never though possible.(*Sigh* I just wish it was good again.)

Batman Arkham fell off the wagon with Origins. Asylum and City were amazing to me. But Origins is everything a game should never be. The combat was the worst I've plated in a long time. The story was about the only good part of the game.

And then for my last I'd say Dead Space. The first was epic on so many levels and, still one of my top games. 2 Was alright but the story got a little weird. But 3....*sigh* I can't believe they are actually allowed to my trash like this. The was not one good thing about this game. Heck i can't even bring myself to finish this one.*sigh*

I just find it astonishing. How can a company make such a great first or second game. Then everything after was just bleh.

Anyway that's it for my rant. Don't hate on me too much

Batman didn't really get worse, but the games do not really add anything new to the gameplay (apart from some gadgets). Tgey basically followed the same exact formula in each game.

Dragon Age 2 was worse than Origins.

Street Fighter can also be added to the list.

I think the Need For Speed series should wIn a trophy for being able to get worse and worse with every new game that comes out. The high point was Most Wanted for the PS2, and that game came out in 2005. Carbon was cool but slightly worse, ProStreet wasn't as bad as people say it was but still worse than Carbon. Undercover which feels like it was made in 5 months. Better than ProStreet thanks to customization though. Ever since it got in the PS3 though, it was a huge trainwreck. Hot Pursuit, The Run, Shift, etc. All of it has only let me down and made me facepalm multiple times.

Another series that is following the same path but still has a lot of quality is Assassin's Creed. Ever since Revelations (which my only drive to continue playing was Altaïr's story), the series has been on a downfall.

• 2 years later...

I would probably put COD, Street Fighter, and Fallout at the top of my list

I think the old Cod's were the best ones while the newer ones aren't as great IMO.

Street Fighter is in the same boat as COD. The older games were better.

Fallout 3 was amazing, NV was meh, i didn't like 4 so i think that series has went a little downhill.

Mass Effect.

Haha, ouch - controversial one that!

Being a Sony console dude I played 2 first, and only went back to try 1 on PC afterwards - I couldn't really get into it, though I could tell from my limited time with it that if a person was a huge fan of the first one they might have been disappointed by the action focus of 2 onwards, but for me 2 was brilliant. Maybe just because that was my starting point.

Killzone.

The first was hardly the "Halo Killer" it was hyped to be, but Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were alright. I like the story and some of the characters. After Killzone 3, things went downhill and the series will probably never be considered a "must have".

Ace Combat...  (my favourite game is AC 5) ;_;

Soul Calibur...

Yes, Soul Calibur V really kinda sucks. Hopefully Soul Calibur VI can return the series to greatness.

• Like 1

The inFamous series for me. The first game was an absolute masterpiece, the second game was a very very good sequel with a really cool stand-alone DLC: Festival of Blood. The two PS4 games inFamous: Second Son and inFamous: First Light were both pretty mediocre games in my opinion. inFamous: Second Son was plain boring and inFamous: First Light was a bit better but still far from how special the inFamous series was before the PS4 era.

• Like 1

The inFamous series for me. The first game was an absolute masterpiece, the second game was a very very good sequel with a really cool stand-alone DLC: Festival of Blood. The two PS4 games inFamous: Second Son and inFamous: First Light were both pretty mediocre games in my opinion. inFamous: Second Son was plain boring and inFamous: First Light was a bit better but still far from how special the inFamous series was before the PS4 era.

Came here to say the same.

Final Fantasy since VII, I eas born and raised on Turn Based! I couldn't enjoy 9, 10 was nowhere near enjoyable they fucked the element system up, the lack of traveling the world, I loved the materia system which they ditched etc. 11 was an MMORPG :(. 12 was good, but its bow an Action RPG, the series we spent 16-18 years LOVING as a turnbased just bitchslapped us. 13, brought back turn based but VERY lackluster; it didn't feel like turn based just tap auto, more like interactive theatre. 14, granted I LOVED 14, but it was onlibe again. Watching tge trailers for 15 and 7 remake, they really aren't going back to their roots T_T

I'd agree with the Batman Arkham games, Asylum is still my favourite, City was pretty good, but the last two instalments have been very lacklustre.

Aside from that, it's a pretty obvious pick, but I'd have to go with Sonic the Hedgehog. I enjoyed Sonic Adventure 2 and Sonic Heroes to some extent back in the early 2000s, but everything after that has been pretty garbage. Generations was the best Sonic game I'd played in years, but it seemed like an an anomaly in the stream of constant crap and mediocre Sonic games we have nowadays. The Sonic 4 games were also enjoyable, but not amazing.

It used to be one of my favourite platformers back when I was a kid, I noticed this seems to be common thing with old platforming games though: Spyro the Dragon had a great trilogy back on the PS1, everything that followed after that was usually just a buggy, rushed mess of a game that wasn't enjoyable in the slightest (the Legend of Spyro series was mediocre/fine though). Same goes for Crash Bandicoot, though the games after the PS1 trilogy weren't quite as horrendous as Spyro's.