What series has only gotton worse?

DrBloodmoney

Killzone.

The first was hardly the "Halo Killer" it was hyped to be, but Killzone 2 and Killzone 3 were alright. I like the story and some of the characters. After Killzone 3, things went downhill and the series will probably never be considered a "must have".

Yes, Soul Calibur V really kinda sucks. Hopefully Soul Calibur VI can return the series to greatness.

Killzone HD is pretty fun. I quite like it. Killzone 2 is the best in the series, and a fantastic shooter to me. I'm not fond of Killzone 3. I actually think it's pretty terrible. Every game after that has been pretty mediocre and forgettable.

Killzone HD is pretty fun. I quite like it. Killzone 2 is the best in the series, and a fantastic shooter to me. I'm not fond of Killzone 3. I actually think it's pretty terrible. Every game after that has been pretty mediocre and forgettable.

Yup, Killzone HD was a solid fps. Back in the day, Id rate it one of the best shooters of its time.

Edited by Mar

Yup, Killzone HD was a solid fps. Back in the day, Id rate it one of the best shooters of its time.

I'm actually not fond of the original PS2 version. It was full of bugs, had an atrocious framerate, was incredibly blurry, and had a lot of other visual issues. The HD version fixed all of those things.

COD Series:

MW2 was my favorite in the series, MW4 was just okay to me (waits for the trolling..)

WAW was the only treyarch game I liked in the series..  hated the rest (and unfortunately own them too :()

Here's a throwback...

Tony Hawk

They were great until Underground 2 after that you could tell the decline .

But of course the first 4 pro skaters are the best.

My Series that stayed consistent with pleasing me:

Rock Band 

All three games were great, and i can't wait to see what they do next gen. (just wish they'd of fixed the xmb issue with Rock Band 3..)

O man THUG 2, I know it's blasphemy but I really need a remake of that game.

Grand Theft Auto

After San Andreas I just felt it wanted to be to match realistic. I got so frustrated over the controls it felt like you tripped over your own feat every time.

Commandos

Commandos 1 + Beyond the call of duty where great games.

Commandos 2 was even better.

Then came 3 and it just felt like your options of handling the approach where limited. Also the game was very short.

Then came Strike Force which turned it into a mediocre shooter.

• Like 1

Grand Theft Auto

After San Andreas I just felt it wanted to be to match realistic. I got so frustrated over the controls it felt like you tripped over your own feat every time.

Don't you mean after Vice City Stories? Everyone forgets those two games... :(

But I get what you mean, GTA lost something when it made the jump to next gen. Of course it gained a lot too (arguably for the worse though: more focus on graphics than gameplay, online multiplayer and, as you said, more realism) but they don't quite have the magic the PS2 games had.

• Like 1

I'm actually not fond of the original PS2 version. It was full of bugs, had an atrocious framerate, was incredibly blurry, and had a lot of other visual issues. The HD version fixed all of those things.

They put that much work into the HD version (not even called remastered)?

They put that much work into the HD version (not even called remastered)?

Mhm. They got it running at a stable 30fps, bumped up the texture resolution and overall game resolution, fixed a lot of audio and gameplay bugs and glitches, fixed the delay when navigating menus, gave it a sharper, crisper UI, cleaned up a lot of the audio, added tropy support.

• Like 1

I think Dead Space, first game was an amazing and very unique horror. DS2 was also very good but it wasnt as scary and with DS3 they totally left the horror parts and made it into an action game -_-

Almost every serie has gone down in quality with the exception of GTA and Uncharted.

I rarely see any series which went worse. Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Burnout, Devil May Cry or Far Cry series are just a few of these franchises which got a lot better as the next games came out. Most of the time next installments are way better at least in my opinion.

Edited by Saionji
  • Like 1

Almost every serie has gone down in quality with the exception of GTA and Uncharted.

I wouldn't say Uncharted didn't go down in quality. Uncharted had its highlight with Uncharted 2 (which was a masterpiece). Uncharted 3 was a very good game (9/10) but was also definitely a step down from Uncharted 2. After the slight ''disappointment'' of the quality of Uncharted 3, Uncharted 4 was expected to be another masterpiece like Uncharted 2. However, as the massive Uncharted fan I am, I have to say that Uncharted was most definitely the ''worst'' entry of the series (excluding Golden Abyss). Don't get me wrong, all games are still at least 85/100 games but the series has definitely gotten ''worse'' after Uncharted 2 in my opinion.

• Like 3

I think Dead Space, first game was an amazing and very unique horror. DS2 was also very good but it wasnt as scary and with DS3 they totally left the horror parts and made it into an action game -_-

I rarely see any series which went worse. Assassins Creed, Mass Effect, Bioshock, Burnout, Devil May Cry or Far Cry series are just a few of these franchises which got a lot better as the next games came out. Most of the time next installments are way better at least in my opinion.

I don't about some of this franchises but AC and Far Cry are getting better only graphically although AC Syndicate with the new gameplay features gave the saga a bit of hope.

I wouldn't say Uncharted didn't go down in quality. Uncharted had its highlight with Uncharted 2 (which was a masterpiece). Uncharted 3 was a very good game (9/10) but was also definitely a step down from Uncharted 2. After the slight ''disappointment'' of the quality of Uncharted 3, Uncharted 4 was expected to be another masterpiece like Uncharted 2. However, as the massive Uncharted fan I am, I have to say that Uncharted was most definitely the ''worst'' entry of the series (excluding Golden Abyss). Don't get me wrong, all games are still at least 85/100 games but the series has definitely gotten ''worse'' after Uncharted 2 in my opinion.

Thats an interesting perspective, about Uncharted I think U1 would be like 80/100, U2 92/100 and U3 95/100. I played U3 before U2 and I think U3 was slightly better but that may be just my opinion because maybe I havent experienced U2 first.

• Like 1

Similar to what Lucas said. Uncharted is definitely not a series that has gotten better all around each time. Just to name a few areas. U2 had better story telling than U3, U3 had better MP (people have their opinions here but U3 had more content and customization, thus more replayvalue additionally, and the shooting mechanics felt slightly tighter/realistic at least) and combat but weaker story telling and a weaker cast variety wise and role wise (look at Chloe, Elena, Charlie, Syid [typo] {who is among one of ND's most rushed and useless new characters in a game} and so fourth), and I forget between U3 and U2 on which had the better puzzles but one of them is superior and the other inferior, theyre not on par. And I could be ignorant here (since I havent finished yet) but I believe U4 has the weakest puzzles in the entire series, but objectively the weakest MP.

Naughty Dog and all their games but Jak are simply overrated. ALL of their games are good..great but U never did everything better each time. ND consistent improvements/specialities are always with animation, graphics, music. Maybe there's more but I noticed these with their series games, which does not include TLOU.

Edited by Mar

Personally I felt 2 was the weakest of the series. Enjoyment wise, 3 is the least enjoyable because of those fucking DLC trophies, but if we disregard those and look solely at the single player campaign, I feel 2 was just way too biased towards action and combat and fighting. Puzzle solving and/or climbing/platforming didn't really get any chance to shine throughout the game because of the heavy focus on combat.

Golden Abyss is the game that got the balance right (or, at least, the best it has been in the series) imo, although I haven't played 4.

For me it has to be Street Fighter and Prince of Persia. The early Street Fighter games had a fantastic balance of characters and gameplay, but lately the series has only gotten worse, putting more emphasis on money grabbing and less on balanced gameplay and fun characters. As for PoP, I just couldn't get into the games after Two Thrones. They just got.... boring.

Personally I felt 2 was the weakest of the series. Enjoyment wise, 3 is the least enjoyable because of those fucking DLC trophies, but if we disregard those and look solely at the single player campaign, I feel 2 was just way too biased towards action and combat and fighting. Puzzle solving and/or climbing/platforming didn't really get any chance to shine throughout the game because of the heavy focus on combat.

Golden Abyss is the game that got the balance right (or, at least, the best it has been in the series) imo, although I haven't played 4.

You know it's quite funny because didn't U3 focus even slightly more on the combat? The system was not only revamped to have more immersive combat but they introduced hordes, which was not just a feature that you came across 2-3 times. No, actually, yes they did focus more on combat, between what I just said, a lot of the new combat attacks, and the pseudo-mini-boss fights with the 7ft guys. (Yeah let's not include trophies, like seriously... that's not relevant, especially given they're optional AND do not tie into a game's design.) IIRC the action with U3 wasn't as good or improved, which would be why U3 doesn't seem to have that same complaint with U2. Only 1/2 things were actually focused on/improved-- combat. 

Call of Duty. Until MW2 the multiplayer steadily improved until suddenly they lost interest for some reason. Plus most innovations like the dog or the suit made the games worse instead of adding to them anything of worth.

Crash Bandicoot after Naughty Dog went on to other projects. Apart from decent installments on the GBA everything that came after Warped ranged from okay (The Wrath of Cortex) to utter garbage (Mind over Mutants/Whatever the other one was called).