What series has only gotton worse?

DrBloodmoney

FIFA went terrible after 13.Far Cry and Gran Turismo have all gone downhill.

Gotta disagree with you on Far Cry in my eyes it has improved immensely. Primal was excellent. Far Cry 3 and 4 although very similar were great. Far Cry 2 was abysmal. The game was the exact the same thing all the time. 1. Drive along 2. Kill blokes chasing you 3. Fix car. Repeat every 15 seconds ad infinium

Edited by Cleggworth

I'm going to have to say Call of Duty as well as Assassin's Creed.

The last good call of duty game was MW2 in my opinion. The story was excellent, the multiplayer was great (as long as you didn't have a n00b tube scavenger pro in the game). Black Ops wasn't terrible since it had zombies but the story was a little lame. Then MW3 came out and they killed off Soap which just completely pissed me off. Then it really went to hell with black ops 2 because all the future shit started getting introduced. I bought Ghosts hoping that it would offer some insight about Simon "Ghost" Riley from MW2 and what I got was a mediocre story and extinction mode. (Basically a ripoff version of zombies with aliens instead. It wasn't too bad and did provide at least some entertainment.) Advanced Warfare......just no. And black ops 3......no thanks. And now we're going to get space battles (Which they already did in Ghosts) Unless I am playing a Star Wars game or using the ray gun from older zombies, I don't want to shoot freaking lasers.

But Assassin's Creed definitely has taken the biggest hit. The first Assassin's Creed was great. It got a bit repetitive at times but still overall a solid game with a unique story. They improved it even further with AC II as soon as Ezio Auditore was brought into the fold. But from there it began to decline rapidly. I enjoyed AC Brotherhood but it still didn't measure up to AC II and then revelations felt like it should have just been a DLC. But then AC III came out and I lost all interest in the franchise. The mechanics weren't as good, and the story was "meh." Recently I tried getting back into the series which AC Rogue wasn't too bad since it offered a new perspective by playing as a templar. But overall the apple has fallen very far from the tree.

Gotta disagree with you on Far Cry in my eyes it has improved immensely. Primal was excellent. Far Cry 3 and 4 although very similar were great. Far Cry 2 was abysmal. The game was the exact the same thing all the time. 1. Drive along 2. Kill blokes chasing you 3. Fix car. Repeat every 15 seconds ad infinium

I haven't  played Far cry Primal  but I heard that the story is really short and boring.Judging by the trophy list its safe to say its a pretty show game thats half assed.Far cry 3 is the best Far Cry.Far cry 4 was good but 3 was better.Haven't plays Far cry 2 either.

rock band peaked at 2

darksiders and red faction had only two games each on ps3, but were heading downward

the F1 (annualized) racing series has been inconsistent and getting worse

Red Faction is weird in the aspect that Red Faction 1 was really good and 2 was really awful, and then Guerilla was really good and Armageddon was really awful.

If the game has a short story then you know the game is half finished.

So the quality of the game is now based on its relative length of the story? A game can still be really good with high replay value even with a short story. You haven't even played the game so how can you claim it is half finished without experiencing it?

• Like 2

If the game has a short story then you know the game is half finished.

You're kidding right? The average length of an Uncharted game (without deaths, and getting through puzzles in one go) is about 7-10 hours. Pretty short when put against other action games like Metal Gear Solid where the average length is 20+ hours. Resident Evil 2 can be beaten in 1 hour 30 minutes and it's one of the most critically acclaimed games in the history of the medium. Every God of War game can be beaten in less than 5 hours.

You don't want to go down this road.

• Like 2

I'm going to say Star Ocean. I've been playing So5 and imo this one has been very poorly made. It's not just the fact that you can walk through people but the story is just terrible as well. I feel no connection with the characters and it just feels cheap.

Batman games, (Arkham Knight was terrible...., Origins was unwanted/i am aware it was a different studio)

Zelda games (yes... Zelda games., Best in series imo: Link To The Past, OoT, Oracle Seasons, Links Awakening DX. Twilight Princess was good, but felt lacking, but is the newest Zelda game i like)

Final Fantasy, (to me the entire series has been either hit or miss, 7 is OVERRATED, 8 is good, 6 is good(game with Kefka), 9 is boring, X is good, X2 is crap, 12 is good imo, 13 was just okay. 13-2 was a step up but still just okay.... never played 14, and 15 looks to be a pretty looking game, while lacking a bit in the gameplay department.)

Batman games, (Arkham Knight was terrible...., Origins was unwanted/i am aware it was a different studio)

Zelda games (yes... Zelda games., Best in series imo: Link To The Past, OoT, Oracle Seasons, Links Awakening DX. Twilight Princess was good, but felt lacking, but is the newest Zelda game i like)

Final Fantasy, (to me the entire series has been either hit or miss, 7 is OVERRATED, 8 is good, 6 is good(game with Kefka), 9 is boring, X is good, X2 is crap, 12 is good imo, 13 was just okay. 13-2 was a step up but still just okay.... never played 14, and 15 looks to be a pretty looking game, while lacking a bit in the gameplay department.)

Origins was fantastic tbh. If you discount innovation and just focus on quality, it had the best story and its gameplay was pretty refined.

@Rin/Snow. But The Order 1886 mostly gets hated on and rated not so well because of its short length story. (Not arguing against yall btw.)

Its just a hard balancing act, really. 60$ is taxing and no matter how good those 5 hours or whatever may be, a short game with no replayability can leave a bad taste in people's mouths. Balancing pacing, content and the fulfillment of the creator's artistic vision is the biggest challenge in gaming.

So getting this topic back to the point. Not an series but a developer. SUDA51 games has been on a slow decline after Shadows of the Damned, even though I loved every second of Lollipop Chainsaw. Let it Die will be F2P and can't really say about it but tryin out Jaffe's Drawn to Death I can't say I'm waiting to see what happens.

Edited by totallycrushed

Halo without a doubt, Halo was a series I grew up on and people will tell you that Halo Reach killed Halo and they are incorrect. Halo 4 and 5  "casualized" Halo into a space Cod game and put so many modern fps elements into em that they just arent Halo anymore.

I can list more but lets keep this list short.

Star Wars Battlefront (the newest one is fun but doesnt hold a candle towards the older titles)

Call of Duty (lets be honest everyone will list this)

Red Faction (first two were fun and Guerrilla ruled yet you followup Guerrilla with a linear fps experience)

Splinter Cell (shall I say more?)

Elder Scrolls (Skyrim is an overrated pile of shit and that mmo doesnt look interesting)

Edited by TristanTehGamer1

Borderlands

This makes no sense. You dont claim a series has gotten worse with 1/3 games being on the lacking side (trilogy perspective). Unless BL3 isnt too good either then BL shouldnt be here.

First games dont count by default unless the second game, oddly, doesnt surpass it. Once the second game is better, the third being weaker than the second only cancels out what the second and third game could have made the series together if it was better or just as good as the second installment. Because otherwise by this logic, many, many trilogy series would be considered in this topic. Generally, third installment games dont exceed the second installment games.

Edited by Mar

Disagree. You obviously never tried RB3.

RB2 was good during it's prime but it wasn't great.

Rb1 was awful, good setlist but awful calibration system and song selection screen.

Obviously this is from a mostly online-only standpoint (i never RB much Local..)

i played rb3, but it just didn't feel the same for me. bought the keyboard too, but that's become a paperweight and forgettable. the game overall just felt very average, even tedious at times.

Halo without a doubt, Halo was a series I grew up on and people will tell you that Halo Reach killed Halo and they are incorrect. Halo 4 and 5  "casualized" Halo into a space Cod game and put so many modern fps elements into em that they just arent Halo anymore.

I can list more but lets keep this list short.

Star Wars Battlefront (the newest one is fun but doesnt hold a candle towards the older titles)

Call of Duty (lets be honest everyone will list this)

Red Faction (first two were fun and Guerrilla ruled yet you followup Guerrilla with a linear fps experience)

Splinter Cell (shall I say more?)

Elder Scrolls (Skyrim is an overrated pile of shit and that mmo doesnt look interesting)

I have to disagree with Halo. The first game is still the best for both singleplayer and multiplayer, but Halo Wars has my second favourite SP in the series, while Halo 5 has my second favourite MP in the series. I thought ODST and Reach were both excellent for SP as well, and Reach's MP after the title update was also pretty great. Halo 2 had a fun SP, but I found the MP to be incredibly unbalanced and riddled with glitches that ruined the fun for me. The enemy encounters in the SP also felt more like a chore, and I often found myself skipping past them. Halo 3 might as well not even had a SP with how forgettable and lackluster it was, and the weapons felt and sounded like toys. This, and the awful FOV and aim acceleration, also ruined the MP for me.

• Like 1