Deleting (unpublished) guides

Hello everyone.  I really enjoy the trophy guide feature and I think it's a great addition to the site.  However, I feel that it could be improved by giving users the ability to delete their guides while they are in an unpublished (or maybe even published) state.  Twice now I have been writing a guide and literally the day before or the day I complete mine, another guide for the same game is published.  I know there can be multiple guides for a game but I wouldn't mind being able to delete my guides for games that already have another guide published.  If there is a way to do this I haven't been able to find that option.  Thanks for any help.

• Like 3

It would be a neat feature, but you KNOW that even if there were 50 prompts asking "Are you sure?" and even if it asked for your password, there would still be constant topics like, "halp i acident delet gide," and the ever famous someone else did it.

As it stands, leaving it unpublished isn't really doing more than taking up a little bit of space. Maybe instead of giving the option to manually delete a guide, an unpublished guide that hasn't been touched in a certain stretch of time (like 3 months or something) could be automatically deleted to cut down on server space and the over cluttering the pages of the very active guide makers. Since if you're working on a guide, you'll either be editing it sometime in that long of a time frame, or it will be done before then.

• Like 2

Being able to delete a guide would be nice but the only reason I think the feature should be used is if a person plagiarises a guide from another site. In other cases it's fine just to let the guide sit there and edit it when you feel like making it better. A published guide shouldn't be deleted, ever. I'm not even sure if being able to edit a published guide is a good idea; people get butthurt a lot and may sabotage their guide in order to 'get back' at the site.

As for there being multiple guides in circulation: fuck it. If you see that a guide for a game you've been working on has been published shortly before yours is ready to publish then use that as motivation to make your guide better. Put that other guide to shame with the content and information you can put in yours. We don't care if there's more than one guide available; in fact we love it. Not every guide is perfect and many times you will need a second opinion on how to do something - having another guide available right here (it even shows up in "related guides" along the side of the screen) makes it incredibly easy to see alternate strategies.

One guide will no doubt be better than the other and people will definitely compare the two. Competition is good, just make sure you win it ;)

Members should not be able to delete their own guides. Otherwise we'll end up with disgruntled members taking their ball and going home. 

If you want it deleted, alert the authorities and the almighty may take care of it, depending on other priorities.

Perhaps Sly will implement a system whereby unpublished guides are auto-pruned after XX days, which is the more sensible approach.

This is what's great about this site and it's freedom of anyone creating a trophy guide even if there are multiple of the same. Every one of us experience games differently which in deciding to make a trophy guide, our way of helping others will differ. Do not be discouraged and continue making your guides, as closertim and Mumpel mentioned, you'll never know if your guide will be better in helping others if you don't publish it.

Edited by Gay_Angel

Yeah, but Sly don't forget that some people like me might get unlucky and have glitched guides or some real reason they would need to delete their guides.

I know that they can fix this by talking to you, but the question is "do you want to bear this for the rest of your life as this site's owner/manager?"

speak now or forever remain silent xD

• 1 year later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 8 months later...
2 hours ago, Rikilati said:

Hi everyone!
I was trying to write down a guide for Batman Arkham Origins but I lost my will to complete it. It is possible to delete it? How can I do that?

Thank so much for your help!

Deleting guides isn't here quite yet, but it's on the to-do list

• 5 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
9 minutes ago, Pixel-DRAGON- said:

Unfortunately unpublished guides can do very well in the search results of Google: ⬇︎⬇︎⬇︎

3qBdVeT.png

Any way to make an unpublished guide invisible for search results?

Are you sure others can see it in the Google search?

Because these results are Google customized for you. It makes perfect sense you would see it since you are working on it, therefore, visiting the page often.

2 minutes ago, Satoshi Ookami said:

Are you sure others can see it in the Google search?

Because these results are Google customized for you. It makes perfect sense you would see it since you are working on it, therefore, visiting the page often.

I can see the unpublished guide in my search results, too. And it's not like I would care for that game at all. :D The same goes for some unpublished guides by me which i can also see via Google.

• Like 1