Help - I'm Obsessed with Metal Gear Solid

HowIPendragon

So, I've owned this game for about 2 years now and after becoming frustrated with the controls within the first hour I threw it to the side.

Now, I just revisited it a couple days ago and even though its tough, it has odd controls, and I'm no good at it, I can't help but love it now and I don't know why. It plays like nothing else out there I've ever experienced and has so much Japanese game quirk and campiness that I have trouble ungluing myself from it. Now I've gone and spent all night watching MGS V gameplay and trailers, and listening to Snake Eater and Sins of the Father on YouTube.

Please help me understand these feelings :D

• Like 4

Its a perfectly rational reaction to the greatness that is MGS. It would be odd for one not to bond with the game...

I just wasn't expecting it to happen right away. I knew it was something special when that guy (Akiba) kept sh***ing his pants and I didn't even care how out of place that felt xP

Well like most things you have to hit rock-bottom before you can get help. I recommend going out and reading some proper literature and hopefully after that you will be cured of your MGS problems ^_^.

I will get on that as soon as I've read as much Metal Gear Wiki content as I can :P

It's a completely natural reaction to the amazingness of Metal Gear Solid, also 4 is a bit of a slog at the start, but does really pick up with the story and emotion put into it. V's gameplay is AMAZING, you should get Ground Zeroes if you haven't yet.

• Like 1

Your not really obsessed with MGS until you:

1. refer to your phone as a codec

2. successfully managed to sneak past someone (friend/work colleague) disguised in a box

3. learned CQC

Come back once the addiction really takes hold  B)

Well I've changed my phone's notification tone to the Codec ring. Er- I mean, my codec's notification tone :P

Is that a good start?  :lol:

It's a completely natural reaction to the amazingness of Metal Gear Solid, also 4 is a bit of a slog at the start, but does really pick up with the story and emotion put into it. V's gameplay is AMAZING, you should get Ground Zeroes if you haven't yet.

It does look fantastic. Dat Fox Engine  B)

I'll probably pick up the Legacy Collection first. I'd rather own that beast on PS4 when I finally get one.

In the meantime my first taste of the Fox Engine will come when Pro Evolution Soccer 2014 is given away this month on PS Plus :P

Edited by rsoto1125

Completely understandable, I caught the bug myself about 2 years ago, and I haven't looked back since.

My first experience was MGS2, and boy did the story shock and intrigue me! The characters are just so awesome as well, and I love those codec conversations haha.

I actually played MG1 and MG2 next (the 25yr old one), and throughly enjoyed them haha. Very different game (in the first one, as long as you're not directly in front of them, the guards can't see you; even if you're standing in that direction right next to them, but a bit to the side haha). It also introduces characters like Gray Fox that are important in later games

Then came MGS3; which to this day is one of my favourite games of all time. I spent upwards of 1 hour at the start of the game just listening to the various codec conversations with each character, and they said something new every time (and it wasn't repeated later, so I suppose I would have missed it otherwise!). Anyway, the story, characters, gameplay and bosses are nearly perfect in this game, in my opinion.

Then MGS1 - the original. Definitely a special game! Bosses and characters were incredible; probably my 2nd favourite MGS after MGS3.

Most recently was MGS4; and I can see what you mean with different controls + slow start (even compared to previous games in the series), but it's a truly special story and finale (?) to the Solid Snake saga, definitely worth a play through to the end.

I'm still to play PW + GZ (I have both, but I've been busy haha), but this is easily my favourite video game series, glad you're enjoying it too! :D

• Like 1

Completely understandable, I caught the bug myself about 2 years ago, and I haven't looked back since.

Yeah I guess part of why I disliked the controls at first was because they were too unique. I went in expecting the controls to be mapped out in what has more or less become the traditional way (switch weapons with :triangle:  or use R2 to frag etc.) and couldn't handle it. But now that I've gotten used to them they're actually pretty simple.

I can't wait to get my copy of MGS Legacy Collection   ^_^

Edited by rsoto1125

I hope I feel the same way whenever I decide to go back to the MGS HD Collection. I quit playing for the exact same reason unfortunately. At first I played literally a few minutes of MGS2, thought the controls were shit and quit. Then like a few weeks later I decided to play Peace Walker. I got through a few levels in that, and quit. Haven't even tried MGS3 yet. 

I'll be sure to give the series the proper attention and patience it needs in the future. I really wanna like it, especially since I payed money for it.  :unsure:

• Like 1

I hope I feel the same way whenever I decide to go back to the MGS HD Collection. I quit playing for the exact same reason unfortunately. At first I played literally a few minutes of MGS2, thought the controls were shit and quit. Then like a few weeks later I decided to play Peace Walker. I got through a few levels in that, and quit. Haven't even tried MGS3 yet. 

I'll be sure to give the series the proper attention and patience it needs in the future. I really wanna like it, especially since I payed money for it.  :unsure:

Patience is definitely key. As is a manual apparently, since MGS 4 has almost no tutorials.

I was having a tough time this second time around but after I pushed my self to complete the first few areas I started to get the hang of it and it grew on me very quickly.

Hope you have a great second experience with it as well  :yay:

Edited by rsoto1125

I love the Metal Gear games series, my absolutetly TOP game series. The controls can take some time to get use to, but once you have mastered them somewhat, then just enjoy the the political themes, the heart poundiing action, the plot twists, the codec conversations, the stealth, the atmosphere and just enjoy the ride while it lasts. The day Hideo Kojima steps away from Metal Gear will be sad, I just hope the guy who takes over will bring the same passion and quirkiness to Metal Gear game series.

It plays like nothing else out there I've ever experienced and has so much Japanese game quirk and campiness

Be prepared for that to change dramatically if you ever get around to Ground Zeroes.

But yeah, I can see how the controls can be a little difficult for newcomers to the series, MGS1 especially. Cool to see you're starting to dig the games though, they're odd, ridiculous, and not exactly for everybody, but a lot of fun once you get into them.

Edited by Incinerator