Nungus Among Us

Earth_Defense_Force_Feature.jpg

EDF is a game that most people haven't even heard of so i thought i would post a thread about it to maybe get people interested... hopefully, lol.

PS: the name "Nungus" (as seen in the title of this thread) is a name of one of the weapons and has been a running joke among my group of co-op partners for this game (skidmarkgn and andremal).

This game has a tall order for its platinum and will take many hours (unknown at this point how many)

its one of those games where it just looks "meh" but once you start killing bug after bug it gets very addictive... plus the crazy weapons and stuff... This game wont go in the video game hall of fame or anything but usually everyone who gets there hands on this title gets addicted to killing bugs...

I sort of remember reading about this in GameInformer, I think it was in a section going through all the good recent coop games.

How's the coop in this? (unless I'm mistaken and it has none lol)

you are not mistaken my friend... this game has awesome co-op... you can go through the whole story in co-op if you wanted to

Interesting. I might need to pass this information along to my brother then, he's always looking for a good coop game to play on Friday nights. Is it local coop? If so, how many players at a time?

i don't think there is a local co-op, its online only... at least i don't know how to do a couch co-op because i have never done it, lol

1st EDF was Xbox only, if there was a petition to get it ported I'd sign that sum' bitch twice!! Funny thing is I'm pretty sure the 1st EDF was local co-op only though...

Insect Armageddon's only real flaw in my eyes is a lack of bosses, there's plenty of giant creatures but I only consider one of them an actual boss. When you're fighting giant bugs and robots the potential for epic bosses is through the roof and they didn't really capitalize on it.

Beyond that, it's a budget title ($40 dollars new on day 1) with online co-op that focuses wholesale on fun factor. The trophies come rapid fire at 1st but the plat. requires a hefty amount of time due to having to max out each of the 4 classes (which takes no less than 12 playthroughs) and having to survive 500 waves of enemies in survival. That being said, you could do a lot LOT worse for $40.

1st EDF was Xbox only, if there was a petition to get it ported I'd sign that sum' bitch twice!! Funny thing is I'm pretty sure the 1st EDF was local co-op only though

Well technically the first EDF was actually on PS2 and was called Monster Attack in Europe, then the was Global Defence Force / Global Defence Force Tactics then Earth Defence Force 2017 and now Insect Armageddon

Seriously cannot wait till I get this though, so just hope I can get it before Earth Defence Force 4 releases sometime next year (I'm hoping)

• 5 months later...

I'm bumping this thread in an attempt to gain as much attention for this underappreciated gem as possible. Seriously, if you like games that are all about pure fun give this one a chance!! It's a budget title (albeit a hard to find one) that will easily give you your money's worth in entertainment value. There's 3 player co-op for the campaign and 7 player survival to keep you going for many-an-hour. My buddies and I have been playing it for about a year and we're still having fun.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Iv re-started playing this again. Im very close to reaching rank 8 on my 2nd class. No idea how many hours iv put in so far, but its an awesome game. Shame its been hacked to fuck though as it would be interesting to see how many people actually got the plat legit

• 1 month later...

Iv re-started playing this again. Im very close to reaching rank 8 on my 2nd class. No idea how many hours iv put in so far, but its an awesome game. Shame its been hacked to fuck though as it would be interesting to see how many people actually got the plat legit

I haven't taken the time to actually check but I heard the list is legit now (at least here). I'm getting pretty close to plat and I know Piggie_Pie should be there any day now, we're both only one trophy away. Getting every armor to 8 and the 500 waves of survival take forever but they have NOTHING on buying all the weapons for every armor. So. Much. Grinding.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

EDF is definitely a breath of fresh air in the 3rd-person shooter genre. First of all, it ain't all serious about itself...this ain't no Ghost Recon or standard war killer game. This is campy like a B-grade monster movie...and not the BAD campy either. If you've ever seen the movie Starship Troopers, you know EXACTLY what this game is like...except the weapons are more efficient than that of the movie. The first crawlie that you take on is a horde of ants...and that just made me think of a modern version of "Them!"

You have multiple different armors to use, from the heavy battle suit to the lite flying armor and each one have it's own weapons and each weapon group is upgradeable along with the armor itself.

The ENTIRE environment is destructible (yeah, the invisible wall does make an appearance to keep you restricted within a certain area)...so feel free to level buildings, demolish the landscape, mow down the trees and blow the cars to the heavens

Even the trophy set screams hours and hours of involvement...Ant Farmer (Kill 10000 Ants. Good start!), Fleet Depleter (Destroy 10000 Gunships. Bet you died a lot doing this...), Who Ravages the Ravagers? (Kill 25000 Enemies. Master killer), The Architect (Destroy 500 buildings. Urban renewal, EDF style), Social Dead Butterfly (Get 10000 kills in Survival mode. They got...FRAGGED!)...etc

Once you get past the offline story mode with it's multiple difficulty levels (which also has a Co-Op option), then you have the online Co-Op (I have yet to sample this) and the "Survival" mode which looks like it's just wave after wave of neverending swarms.

The controls are TIGHT, the camera keeps you IN the action and the weapons are just right. Even with a swarm all around you, you don't feel "Overwhelmed" or flustrated and even if you get "downed," your AI team-mates actually come promptly and revive you. There are also Mechs and large mounted weapons scattered across the landscape to use for the really oppressive situations.

All in all, a spectacular experience for under $20. thumbright.gif This is what gaming USED to be about...the fun... platinum.png

Well, I finished the 1st playthru on Normal difficulty...just doing the single player, no co-op or online yet. Also haven't touched the survival mode or the campaign "remix," whatever that is, yet.

Was kinda disappointed it was as short as it was. I really wanted to see more story. Nevertheless I still have 2 more difficulty levels to clear along with all the other stuff.

Even though it's overall campaign length is not impressive, I still stand by my previous statement that this IS the sleeper hit that everybody should try, especially at the reduced sale price.

If you want/need help on your inferno run (you wanna talk about a difficulty spike) feel free to send me a request on PSN. I'd be happy to jump in and start squishing 'dem bugs again.

I will play any time you guys want to play. Just send me a PM saying 'look jackass we are playing EDF now' :)