Don't sleep on RT Shift boost!

JohzyDeMartin

RT Shift gets your speed back up so it's important to utilize it after slowing down. Remember to press it after using mag-rope or climbing up a building ledge. In a couple of the dashes I was stuck not being able to breakthrough a certain time and then started using that RT and was able to attain those 3s. 

• Like 3
  • Confused 1

On 11/18/2023 at 4:14 PM, JohzyDeMartin said:

RT Shift gets your speed back up so it's important to utilize it after slowing down. Remember to press it after using mag-rope or climbing up a building ledge. In a couple of the dashes I was stuck not being able to breakthrough a certain time and then started using that RT and was able to attain those 3s. 

That's a great tip! Coming straight from Mirror's Edge (PS3), i never remember to use this mechanic

As for Mr Smarty Pants up here, not everyone reads ALL THE GUIDES before playing every game, especially a game with mediocre difficulty and no missables, like this one

• Like 1

I do not feel the difference. It still feels slow, maybe a slight 'nudge' forwards can be seen but I can not seem to get the right formula on how to deal or utilise this :r2: shift mechanic.  There was a video that suggests :l1: + :l2: (jump kick) but even that seems unnecessary and feels like it does absolutely nothing. 

Here Lead Designer Rickard Antroia talks proper bollocks.  There is NOTHING intuitive and fluid with the controls, as usual EA lying to the teeth just to sell a game. 

Whatever happened to the FPS :r3: sprint?  Why change that formula when it works and is not broken?  The button assignments are also very counter intuitive. :cross: has always been associated with jump on the PlayStation... so :l1: why?  Rather than just a boost, :r2: should always give a boost that lasts for as long as there is Focus - like a stamina bar.

Now with the :r2: Shift... so it is like driving a vehicle using a stick and it is the equivalent of shifting gears?  It just does not feel natural to me.

On 11/18/2023 at 9:35 PM, Taliesin_2943 said:

As someone who played the original I liked it but the traversal mechanics was a nightmare you could spend hours just trying to wall run to a simple area and just fall cause it required so many finger snapping button combos that worked all of 25% of the time. I've played about 2 hours or so into catalyst and all that's mostly fixed still has you hitting several buttons they could have just streamlined into 2 buttons but at least I'm not wasting my life just trying to get up a wall lol

This pretty much sums up my frustrations with the game.

Edited by Eispan

2 hours ago, Eispan said:

I do not feel the difference. It still feels slow, maybe a slight 'nudge' forwards can be seen but I can not seem to get the right formula on how to deal or utilise this :r2: shift mechanic.  There was a video that suggests :l1: + :l2: (jump kick) but even that seems unnecessary and feels like it does absolutely nothing. 

Here Lead Designer Rickard Antroia talks proper bollocks.  There is NOTHING intuitive and fluid with the controls, as usual EA lying to the teeth just to sell a game. 

Whatever happened to the FPS :r3: sprint?  Why change that formula when it works and is not broken?  The button assignments are also very counter intuitive. :cross: has always been associated with jump on the PlayStation... so :l1: why?  Rather than just a boost, :r2: should always give a boost that lasts for as long as there is Focus - like a stamina bar.

Now with the :r2: Shift... so it is like driving a vehicle using a stick and it is the equivalent of shifting gears?  It just does not feel natural to me.

This one from what I have played is alot better and improved from the original but I agree it's still way over complicated for what it is

10 hours ago, Tomassi_8000 said:

As for Mr Smarty Pants up here, not everyone reads ALL THE GUIDES before playing every game, especially a game with mediocre difficulty and no missables, like this one

My point is that he presented it like it's a new tip nobody else has discovered when it's not. 

Just seems a bit redundant and unnecessary to me for this to be a thread. Nor do you have to read a guide to figure it out anyway, shift is core concept of the gameplay and keeping speed up, it's only logical you'd have to utilize it in order to get good times in the dashes. It's not like it's some hidden secret you need a guide to tell you about it but it is blasted on every guide regarding this game in case you can't figure it out on your own. 

3 hours ago, Eispan said:

Shift increases your acceleration after being slowed down with a quick burst of speed. Like a subtle nitrous boost. Without using it, it takes slightly longer to get back to full sprint speed which can lead to precious milliseconds lost in the dashes if you don't use it. It definitely does make a pretty significant difference once you start properly using it all the time. 

Plenty of games use different control schemes from the norm. Rockstar games you need to tap X to run, Bioshock is triangle to jump, etc. Mirror's Edge definitely has its own feel because of the controls but just because it's not like all the rest doesn't mean it's counter-intuitive. For most other games, the whole game isn't just revolved around parkouring so of course they'll have a more simplified approach to parkour where in most cases, one button does everything. A game like Mirror's Edge is a more traditional parkour game where the parkouring traversal is the sole focus of the gameplay so to spice it up and make it feel different, they went with a more precise and rhythm based control scheme for the movement. Takes a little while to get used to, sure, but once you get the rhythm of the inputs, it becomes automatic and you can start zipping around the map like a ninja. 

• Like 3

37 minutes ago, mega-tallica said:

My point is that he presented it like it's a new tip nobody else has discovered when it's not. 

Just seems a bit redundant and unnecessary to me for this to be a thread. Nor do you have to read a guide to figure it out anyway, shift is core concept of the gameplay and keeping speed up, it's only logical you'd have to utilize it in order to get good times in the dashes. It's not like it's some hidden secret you need a guide to tell you about it but it is blasted on every guide regarding this game in case you can't figure it out on your own. 

How did I present it like it's a new tip when my title reads "Don't sleep on it" ... do you not know this phrase? It's akin to like a "don't forget", not a "eureka I discovered this!".

The reason I even felt compelled to write this thread is because contrary to what you wrote shift is NOT a core mechanic to running in the game. You can play the whole story and never be forced to shift boost on any section to complete a mission (at least that I can remember, excluding any sort of tutorial of the action or whatnot). If it had been something ingrained where the player was forced to boost after every ledge up,  or zipline then yes I'd understand but in my point of view, that is not the case. On the other hand, RT shift combat does come in handy and should be used to quickly get behind the enemies and dispose of them but the boost is not essential for progression. Even doing the deliveries I didn't need to use it. It wasn't till the end game as I've got just a handful of dashes left that I started using it to see if it would help me cut some seconds off. Why is this? Because as @Eispan pointed out "You don't feel the difference!" 

You press RT and there is no definitive animation onscreen where you actually feel a boost of speed, perhaps it's truly minute but my point in all of this is that those millis of boost actually do help you push to achieve a faster finish. Nomads Run and the Donnkey Oven dash I was literally milliseconds off and couldn't break through with the paths I kept running and felt comfortable with. Started using the RT boost and after just a couple of tries, I got the dashes done. In the end was just trying to help other hunters overcome my same obstacle if they happened to get stuck as I did, as always happy hunting! 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, JohzyDeMartin said:

How did I present it like it's a new tip when my title reads "Don't sleep on it" ... do you not know this phrase? It's akin to like a "don't forget", not a "eureka I discovered this!".

The reason I even felt compelled to write this thread is because contrary to what you wrote shift is NOT a core mechanic to running in the game. You can play the whole story and never be forced to shift boost on any section to complete a mission (at least that I can remember, excluding any sort of tutorial of the action or whatnot). If it had been something ingrained where the player was forced to boost after every ledge up,  or zipline then yes I'd understand but in my point of view, that is not the case. On the other hand, RT shift combat does come in handy and should be used to quickly get behind the enemies and dispose of them but the boost is not essential for progression. Even doing the deliveries I didn't need to use it. It wasn't till the end game as I've got just a handful of dashes left that I started using it to see if it would help me cut some seconds off. Why is this? Because as @Eispan pointed out "You don't feel the difference!" 

You press RT and there is no definitive animation onscreen where you actually feel a boost of speed, perhaps it's truly minute but my point in all of this is that those millis of boost actually do help you push to achieve a faster finish. Nomads Run and the Donnkey Oven dash I was literally milliseconds off and couldn't break through with the paths I kept running and felt comfortable with. Started using the RT boost and after just a couple of tries, I got the dashes done. In the end was just trying to help other hunters overcome my same obstacle if they happened to get stuck as I did, as always happy hunting! 

Speaking for myself, but I was using shift from the start because I realized it was faster, it's not some hidden mechanic at all. And yes, you do see an animation when you do it. It's a very subtle quick lunge forward of the screen after you've been slowed down. If you don't use it, you'll notice you feel slower and once you get to the dashes you can actually see the time differences with and without using shift. I can't agree at all with the opinion that 'you can't feel a difference'. 

Sure, you can get by the entire story not using most of the advanced traversal mechanics but just because the game didn't force you to use one of its mechanics doesn't mean you shouldn't have used it anyway. 

Games don't always have to slap you in the face and tell you exactly what you have to do to complete everything. Leaving some up to the intuitiveness of the player to figure out is part of the fun. But even that is negated now because we have guides and the internet which can figure everything out for you. 

Still playing the game at the moment and I am using :r2: out of habit rather than the thought of it being necessary.  I wish the devs had added a bit of animation like a short blur when using SHIFT.  At least that gives us a sense of boost when using it.  This is probably just psychological now more than anything else.  The use of COIL and SKILL ROLL does show a difference when it comes to shave off a bit of time, versus the normal :l2: hard press just to break the fall.  Their specific animations may add or reduce time how Faith reacts to get up quickly.  This one definitely does make sense - shave of 0.25 of a second per vault or jump and in 8 jumps that is shaving off 2 seconds in the total time.  

:r2: SHIFT does have its pitfalls.  Depending on how we push :l3: for directions, sometimes we end up sidestepping sideways and going off track.  This is also problematic when it comes to combat.  The absence of a 'lock-on' mechanic to K-Sec when engaging them in martial arts is very frustrating.  Thinking about this kind of combat - punching and kicking versus assault rifles, DonTnoD Entertainment's Remember Me comes to mind.  Now these guys did a fantastic job with the combos work in combat.  I wished ME Catalyst did something similar.

Edited by Eispan

6 minutes ago, Eispan said:

Still playing the game at the moment and I am using :r2: out of habit rather than the thought of it being necessary.  I wish the devs had added a bit of animation like a short blur when using SHIFT.  At least that gives us a sense of boost when using it.  This is probably just psychological now more than anything else.  The use of COIL and SKILL ROLL does show a difference when it comes to shave off a bit of time, versus the normal :l2: hard press just to break the fall.  Their specific animations may add or reduce time how Faith reacts to get up quickly.  This one definitely does make sense - shave of 0.25 of a second per vault or jump and in 8 jumps that is shaving off 2 seconds in the total time.  

:r2: SHIFT does have its pitfalls.  Depending on how we push :l3: for directions, sometimes we end up sidestepping sideways and going off track.  This is also problematic when it comes to combat.  The absence of a 'lock-on' mechanic to K-Sec when engaging them in martial arts is very frustrating.  Thinking about this kind of combat - punching and kicking versus assault rifles, DonTnoD Entertainment's Remember Me comes to mind.  Now these guys did a fantastic job with the combos work in combat.  I wished ME Catalyst did something similar.

The shift boost absolutely will shave seconds off your times when you use it correctly. You can feel the difference when you come to a standstill and have to accelerate again. 

On 11/28/2023 at 1:54 AM, ThatMuttGuy said:

You can feel the difference when you come to a standstill and have to accelerate again. 

I think the hand slicing could be an indication.  I now can see a slight boost when shifting after coming from a slide.  I still am a tad short compared to the times posted by my PSN friends... about 2-5 seconds slower.  So far I had three-starred 8 Dash events.  Had to make my own route in most of them, slightly deviated to what we see in guide videos.

On 11/22/2023 at 6:37 PM, Tomassi_8000 said:

That's a great tip! Coming straight from Mirror's Edge (PS3), i never remember to use this mechanic

The original mirror's edge didn't have such a mechanic. People use the sidejump boost there (l1 + strafing and turning your camera 90 degrees towards the direction you want to run), because it gives you max speed instantly. That hidden and kinda abused mechanic was so popular, that the devs implemented something similar (r2) in catalyst.

On 11/23/2023 at 2:30 AM, Eispan said:

I am sorry but nobody wants to jump with x in a game where you have to use the right stick lol. Even in FPS people use custom button mappings or controller with extra buttons. Having to let go of the stick to press x just makes for worse precision. L1 or R1 (in Ghostrunner for example) just make for way better jump buttons. X is only fine in games where you have a fixed camera and don't need the right stick at all.

5 hours ago, westersburg said:

I am sorry but nobody wants to jump with x in a game where you have to use the right stick lol.

I am sorry to say this as well but is it not :cross: on Call of Duty for jumping?  If I remember Black Ops III correctly, wall running is :cross: to traverse on walls then :cross: again to disengage. This is what feels natural to me. Battlefield and Overwatch also uses the :cross: button for vaulting and jumping as well.  The same goes for third person games like Ratchet and Clank and Saints Row - so :cross: seems to be the industry standard button for jumping. 

I always have a bit of a struggle adjusting my head with the new button layouts in the first couple of minutes after starting the game, always leaves me a bit lost and confused... and annoyed.  

:r3: and :cross: are literally next to each other and all we need to do is toggle the right thumb between the two buttons.  Just thinking about wall running using :cross: to jump, press :r3: to stick to the walls then :cross: to get off is exciting.  If only this were truly the case.  I would even probably accept swapping the :l1: functions with :r1:.

Spoiler

The generic use of :l1: on ME Catalyst for almost every action is (as what I have said) very unnatural.  You did mention Ghostrunner making use of the :l1: and :r1: triggers - this I would have preferred. Being right handed it is second nature to press :r1: or :r2: to grab or hold on to anything.  I keep on making the same mistake especially when jumping back in after coming from a different game. 

Had DICE given us the option to change the button mappings on the game to something akin to COD, for sure there will be no complaints from anyone else as folks can customise it the way they want to.  The Leftie and Rightie controller options just swaps :l3: and :r3: - no real or big changes there. 

Looking at the Alternative Layout right now, :cross:  is labelled as Up Action and this is what :l1: is called in the Default Layout.  Could this be the layout I have been looking for? This might very well be the one indeed!  Going to try it out.

EDIT: Hot damn... Alternative Controls is the one I have been hoping for. Now this feels more natural. :cross: is now the jump button and :circle: just like in COD is Slide - Coil and Skill Roll hopefully would now be a piece of cake.

I wished they swapped :l1: :l2: functions for combat with :r1: :r2: and this setup would have been perfect.  Nonetheless I am just happy I have got the :cross: jump button back.

Edited by Eispan
... cannot complain about this anymore.

57 minutes ago, Eispan said:

I am sorry to say this as well but is it not :cross: on Call of Duty for jumping?  If I remember Black Ops III correctly, wall running is :cross: to traverse on walls then :cross: again to disengage. This is what feels natural to me. Battlefield and Overwatch also uses the :cross: button for vaulting and jumping as well.  The same goes for third person games like Ratchet and Clank and Saints Row - so :cross: seems to be the industry standard button for jumping. 

I always have a bit of a struggle adjusting my head with the new button layouts in the first couple of minutes after starting the game, always leaves me a bit lost and confused... and annoyed.  

:r3: and :cross: are literally next to each other and all we need to do is toggle the right thumb between the two buttons.  Just thinking about wall running using :cross: to jump, press :r3: to stick to the walls then :cross: to get off is exciting.  If only this were truly the case.  I would even probably accept swapping the :l1: functions with :r1:.

Reveal hidden contents

The generic use of :l1: on ME Catalyst for almost every action is (as what I have said) very unnatural.  You did mention Ghostrunner making use of the :l1: and :r1: triggers - this I would have preferred. Being right handed it is second nature to press :r1: or :r2: to grab or hold on to anything.  I keep on making the same mistake especially when jumping back in after coming from a different game. 

Had DICE given us the option to change the button mappings on the game to something akin to COD, for sure there will be no complaints from anyone else as folks can customise it the way they want to.  The Leftie and Rightie controller options just swaps :l3: and :r3: - no real or big changes there. 

Looking at the Alternative Layout right now, :cross:  is labelled as Up Action and this is what :l1: is called in the Default Layout.  Could this be the layout I have been looking for? This might very well be the one indeed!  Going to try it out.

EDIT: Hot damn... Alternative Controls is the one I have been hoping for. Now this feels more natural. :cross: is now the jump button and :circle: just like in COD is Slide - Coil and Skill Roll hopefully would now be a piece of cake.

I wished they swapped :l1: :l2: functions for combat with :r1: :r2: and this setup would have been perfect.  Nonetheless I am just happy I have got the :cross: jump button back.

it is, and it sucks. Why do you think most competitive players there have either a scuf controller or use bumper jumper (l1 for jump) button preset ingame? It is possible but is annoying since you lose control of your aim in the moment you initiate the jump. In BF it's not such a big deal, since you don't jump or vault as much as you do in jetpack CoDs or Mirror's Edge, but x for jumping in these games is just a legacy control that has been carried forward since the ps1 era. Works fine in some genres, works more or less in the rest, but shoulder buttons are definitely better in a lot of genres for jumping.

Edited by westersburg

Luckily for me ME/C does not have aiming since we have no guns in the game.  So I guess the advantage that you mention with SCUFs and all may not apply for me here.  But one thing I have to say, this Alternative Layout has done good for me.  The Dash events that had me stumped with 2 stars had easily gotten 3 stars.  Just now I had shaved off 7.5 seconds on Heading Home having been stuck at 02:15 for so long now is at 02:07 - not the top best on the leader boards but better.  I am much more hopeful to get this done right now that I was a while ago.

The :r2: Shift as well can be felt.  Funny I should say this now.  I used to wonder how the guide videos have shown the players coiling effortlessly and simultaneously when I could not even pull it off - now I can including the bunny-hop boost!  Just 13 more Dashes to do 3 stars on and I am done with the trophy.

I think my problem was having a slow left hand, reason why I struggle to get things right with the use of :l1: and :l2: for the default controller layout.  Now that :cross: and :circle: are the alternative to that, having faster reflex with the right hand especially with the use of a single right thumb.  Definitely feels more comfortable compared to using the left index :l1: and the middle finger :l2: .  We could say that there is no lag output coming from the brain.

So to anyone struggling with the Default controls - try switching it to the Alternative one. 

Edited by Eispan
Thank heavens we had this conversation... made me look for the alternative. So thanks to you for the engagement!
  • Like 2

3 hours ago, Eispan said:

Reveal hidden contents

Are you wall running, jumping and sliding  in CoD as much as you are expcted to in Mirror's Edge? Also you arent shooting anything in ME so might as well make use of the extra buttons available to you.

That is the thing... though we are not jumping as much in COD like we do in ME/C, it is just something I personally have gotten used to in the decades I have been gaming.  As I have mentioned almost all games uses the :cross: button for jumping, some the alternative would be :square: or :circle: .  But even those alternative buttons would still feel right (at least for me) simply because we only have to focus movement with the right hand (for a right handed person this would indeed feel natural) and with just the thumb.

Spoiler

I think I would probably struggle a bit if the jump button would be assigned to :r1: since that would require another finger (index finger) to deal with. For an old geezer gamer like me, that would add more to my 'biological input lag' - most likely the reason why I struggle on things which most of you guys would not. 

Now that I have the jump button assigned to :cross: I have not been sleeping on the :r2: Shift Boost just as what is originally being discussed in here.  Turns out, all I had to do was change the controller layout from Default to Alternative.  Like I have said previously, getting 3 stars on the Dash events had been much more easier to get - less stupid deaths, less restarts, less stress and more of the enjoyment from playing the game.

Spoiler

I wished I tinkered with the controller setup at the start of the game.  I had never really change the button layouts for a DualShock controller for as far as I can remember, until now.  I did not find Scuf controllers appealing either, nearly bought one before (because I like the idea that it can be disassembled like Lego) but I thought they were unnecessary for me gaming-wise. I do not think we would need to use Scuf for JRPGs, open world games (including ME/C), visual novels or action-adventure games... the games I mostly play.  I am not even a fan of a controller layout that swaps :l3: with the D-pad.

However give me a Scuf or any other custom controller that gives a TURBO boost advantage (just like in the old Nintendo days) on single-player (non-competitive) games then sign me up right now so I can get one! 

So it is all good folks.  No one will hear me complain about anything, now that I have found what I was looking for.  :cross: marks the spot and :r2: finally feels like it truly belongs. Really appreciate all your inputs and I sincerely mean that.

Edited by Eispan
Now it is back to dashing!
  • Like 2