What's the biggest mistake you've made in Gaming?

Kazeh54

On 21/02/2016 at 6:37 AM, Paige-ID said:

Though perhaps the oldest and most heated console war of all time (Sony vs Xbox is nothing compared to Nintendo/Genesis circa 90's), it was also the time where the statement "own both" rang the most true. Though I agree that the SNES was superior, the Genesis was so good that it definitely deserved a spot in your living room. Some of the best games of all time came from it! Also, certain games sucked on Nintendo but were awesome on Genesis (Mortal Kombat, every Disney game, Jurassic Park, etc).

All Genesis Mortal Kombats have tiny characters and awful sound imo, The snes ports are way better if you're interested in an arcade experience, same can be said for Street Fighter on the Gen. The gen excelled with the sonic games and, Sega games ;)

• Like 1

1. Buying Nintendo Wii. Hated it so much that I skipped out on Wii U, which is the first Nintendo console/handheld that I have not owned since Game & Watch days.

2. Selling Dreamcast copy of Samba de Amigo AND Maracas Controller at pennies for dollar. ?

3. Selling Haunting Ground for $10. ??. That game is now worth $100+ these days. 

• Like 1

Getting myself stuck and making progressing impossible in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64). It was not a good idea to use a key to a door in Water Temple, saving the game and then realizing I would have needed the key to another door in order to obtain the Longshot which was needed to progress from that point forward...

Tried to consult several walkthroughs and found no way to remedy the situation. Never finished the game because of my stupid mistake as I didn't feel like replaying from the start. Well, I guess the developers are to blame too to allow for something like that to happen. I wonder if the issue has been fixed in the 3DS version.

• 2 weeks later...

Selling my DS along with Pokemon X only to want to repurchase it  again for Pokemon Sun or Moon.

Consistently buying the overrated Call of Duty franchise, but had the urge not to buy IW which looks like a shower of sh*te.

Spending over £10-£15 pounds on a few games just because they have easy trophies. I do collect them, but only if the games are super cheap or there are AAA titles I want.

Spending over £150's on this years FIFA. I do enjoy football games, but my urge for in-game currency is bit of a addiction.

• Like 1

Thinking that a Game Gear was a good idea as a handheld console

Only to end up on buying a handful of games to play in the same room as my tv because the batteries died in under 30 minutes

Tbh its probably my constant belief in SEGA that they will come back and be great again, after making so many classics for the Dreamcast. Please let the 90s beloved blue hedgehog RIP

On 1/11/2017 at 9:24 PM, ObliviousSenpai said:

Buying games on sale only to have them end up in my backlog for a year and then finding the same games on sale for even less. 

I do this all the time, and arguably worse, buying games only to have them end up free with PS+. I don't really regret that though, since I buy stuff that looks good and I don't mind "losing" money for that. 

My biggest mistake would probably be abandoning consoles after my first and only console until the Wii, the NES. After the early 90's until around 2010, I was a PC gaming snob. Thankfully a friend finally talked me into trying out the Metal Gear Solid and Resident Evil, and both of those franchises had games not on PC. I ended up getting a Wii to play the Gamecube versions of MSG1 and RE1/0. By the time I realized I needed to complete both series, a PS3 became necessary to play MGS3/4, and I would be able to play RE6 months before the PC version came out. Then I started exploring other franchises I missed (lots of PS2 series) and realized how many awesome games I missed out on over the years. Now I'm actually doing the reverse of my prior gaming habits. I no longer play anything on PC due to not even having enough time to play the games I'm interested in on my consoles. 

In summary, I regret never having consoles between the NES and PS3. I can replay those classic games now but I didn't make this profound discovery until I got married. Now that I have a toddler my time is a lot more limited. Sadly, some of the PS1-era games are too dated for me to get into now, so the opportunity to enjoy some of those games has passed. 

In terms of bone-headed mistakes, the earliest one I can remember is back when I was playing DOS games on PC (or maybe Commodore 64, I can't remember), I mailed in a magazine order form to some software distribution company (these don't really exist anymore) and put $100 in cash in the envelope to pay for the games. I of course never received the games, and it was a while before I had enough courage to tell my parents that I had wasted so much money that it took me many months to save up. 

More recently I ended up messing up my Ratchet and Clank PS4 trophy attempt. I started my Challenge Mode (New Game Plus) run without planning ahead, and I missed at least one missable enemy at the beginning of the game that I needed to use the Groovitron on. I didn't catch my mistake until my savegame uploaded to cloud storage, so I had no backup to go back to, and the game required a full playthrough to start ANOTHER Challenge Mode run. That second run was a true speedrun; besides consulting an Groovitron guide I didn't worry about anything else. I don't regret it too much though, because it gave me more time to level up my weapons, and I enjoyed the game so much that another playthrough was actually fun. 

• Like 1

Not finishing multiplayer before servers shut down...

On 12/31/2016 at 2:49 AM, Eyjabria said:

Getting myself stuck and making progressing impossible in The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time (N64). It was not a good idea to use a key to a door in Water Temple, saving the game and then realizing I would have needed the key to another door in order to obtain the Longshot which was needed to progress from that point forward...

Tried to consult several walkthroughs and found no way to remedy the situation. Never finished the game because of my stupid mistake as I didn't feel like replaying from the start. Well, I guess the developers are to blame too to allow for something like that to happen. I wonder if the issue has been fixed in the 3DS version.

There's absolutely no way to lock yourself out.  You just didn't try hard enough to find the keys. 

The dungeons are specifically designed so that you can't permanently get stuck in them by doing something like unlocking the "wrong" door. The water temple definitely isn't an exception to that. Some keys are particularly tricky to find though.

Edited by DARKB1KE

Lending my friend about 10 PS2 games, only to have him sell all of them for guitar money without permission.

Final Fantasy X, Kingdom Hearts, Ratchet and Clank 3... even Crash Twinsanity. I used to let anyone borrow my shit but now it's a select few.

Oh, and the Wii U. That was also a mistake (had the most fun with Black Ops 2 of all things on the Wii U).

On 4/27/2014 at 0:20 AM, Kazeh54 said:

Now and then we all make that 1 mistake in a game which just makes you feel like an idiot.

My experience was in 2 games:
Darksiders 2
- Played the game on my Xbox ages ago so when I got it for the PS3 I started on the hardest difficulty (Just to make my 2nd playthrough a breeze). I got to the end of the game where all that remained was the last boss and to beat The Crucible. I struggled with The Crucible and remembered you can change the difficulty to easy and just blitz it. I completely forgot that you could do The Crucible after beating the Final Boss. So instead I switched down to easy and then realised I screwed up my Hard playthrough. Started up my game and my save file was corrupt....so couldn't go for the 2nd Playthrough. Had to start a new game and do another 2 playthroughs of the damn thing.

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning (Xbox)

- Again I started on the Hardest difficulty. I was on some quest and was up against a boss and some minions. For ages this boss gave me trouble and I got fed up of the menu so just tapped the accept button over and over each time to respawn. After so many deaths, the game suggests to you to lower the difficulty. Yes is the Default Option.... So in my frustration of losing again I tapped away. It lowered the difficulty and that made the Hardest Difficulty Trophy invalid.

So, What has been your biggest gaming mistake?

Buying Bulletstorm Limited Edition before finding out the servers are shut down. It's still sealed at least, but far past refund date.

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

It's probably either one of two things:

Becoming obsessed with achievements. I became a hunter, buying bad/boring games for the completions, and lost my interest in gaming. Started over on the PlayStation side and I enjoy gaming a lot more again these days.

Selling Conker's Bad Fur Day for a couple of euros while it goes for €100+. Then again the store I sold it to didn't know either and sold it for a few euros, and the person I bought it from didn't know either and sold it to me for a few euros.

On 30/12/2016 at 7:11 AM, BIazkowicz said:

play killzone shadow , olliolii 2, metal gear 2 psvita .  these games are almost imposible to complete 100%

Olliolli is not an easy plat, but absolutely not 'almost impossible' :-)

On 31/12/2016 at 10:49 AM, Eyjabria said:

I'm 100% sure that it is not possible to be stuck l'île what you describe in Zelda OOT. maybe you missed à chest (in the water temple, with the height of water that can change, it is really easy), but it is not possible to be stuck.