What's the biggest mistake you've made in Gaming?

Kazeh54

I don't think I could pinpoint a single big mistake I've made in gaming but I have some for sure.    

- restarting games when I get around the middle for a "fresh start" or with trophies in mind (Skyrim & Fallout games I'm looking at you) ?

- focusing too much on the trophies for a game instead of the game ?

- buying games without looking into them a little first

- playing a games(s) so much to the point that it's stale

- juggling too many games at once

- looking up trophies/guides or walkthroughs before I play or finish the game 

- boosting trophies I could earn myself or grinding for a trophy when it's not fun

- making a new acct (actually 5 ?) in the name of trophies/completion/"fresh start"/etc.

It's actually a lot now that I wrote it but it is things I've learned over the last couple years about myself and how I play my games.  There could be more but that's plenty.  I'm sure there are games I wish I didn't play but hey since I can't remember any off the top of my head, I guess they didn't scar me too much.  I don't do most of those things anymore but I'm still working on a few.

Edited by dienteAzul88
Addition
  • Like 1

20 minutes ago, serialkilla1987 said:

I personally feel like trophy hunting became my biggest mistake. Gaming started to feel more like work rather than fun. About a week ago I started playing games just for fun again, and man does it feel great to not worry about those damn collectibles or difficulty level. Just enjoy the story and have a good time. Life is too short for added stress outside of work.

Maybe I could say the same, sometimes I feel like playing is more work than fun because of trophies, but then I try to play a game in another console without worrying about getting everything (in 80% of games trophies are about doing everything, but there is a 20% with just idiot trophies) and then I miss wanting to get everything, because I always liked to play like that, so maybe my problem wasn't to get to trophies but just getting too much games to get trophies and then you need to play a lot to get all of them to cover all you want to play xD. It sounds stupid but it's like that haha.

My biggest mistake was playing Street fighter IV on my account haha, I never have been good with fighting games (I love them but I'm not good with them) and I wasn't to conscious about trophies, so I started it and got a trophy by just doing Hadokens xD, well after that it has been the only game that I haven't got a plat on my list, I tried my best and could just get to 80%, well at least 80% for a mediocre fighting gamer like me is a proud badge xD. (And even if someday Sony let you to erase games with more than 0% I doubt that I will ever erase it, I would feel dirty if I do that)

Edited by DeepEyes7

Making an additional save at a point in a game that I know I may need to fall back on later if,or when, I fuck up.....coming back to said save and realising I've overwritten it without thinking and having to start the game from scratch.

Or....telling myself I'll have one more crack at the really hard part instead of going to bed....then getting past the hard part and being up too late because of course I had to then reach a check point or save point.

My biggest mistake was buying and playing Star Ocean 3. The game was okay up until a major revelation toward the end. When I saw this 'revelation' in the game, my body went weak, sapped of every ounce of enthusiasm at the thought that a game could be so insulting. Immersion was shattered. It would be like being told on your birthday that there is no Santa Clause, getting slapped in the face, and then being told the cake was a lie.

Edited by SpellbladeKnight

• 1 month later...
On 13/01/2017 at 1:29 AM, RangyRV said:

My biggest mistake was buying a PSP and gifting it for someone I knew on internet, but never met her in person. I always wanted a PSP back then, but when I managed to afford it I gave it to someone else.:facepalm::rolleyes:-_-

What...

• Like 2

Pretty trivial like my previous posts in this thread, but I wish I hadn't hesitated to run for the sword during the boss fight against The Queen in ICO. Waiting instead of making a run for it on her last two cycles definitely cost me the 52 seconds that meant I didn't get the speedrun trophy and the platinum. Ah well, given how bad I am at speedrunning I'm amazed I got that close in the first place so I can't be too disappointed. 

I played Kingdom Hearts on the hardest difficulty on ps3. I was at the last save point when I decided I want to do the other two difficulties to the same point so that the difficulty trophies would unlock shortly after one another. When being at the first save point I save over the other save. ?

I still did it! I just had to do the whole playthrough on proud again! ?

I played the three difficulties simultaniously to platin. ?

• Like 1

On 6/30/2017 at 0:28 AM, rYuKuN said:

To be a trophy hunter.. i guess this is the biggest mistake i've made it in my whole life

DAMN, I totally agree with you

Ugh, same here. Same here. 

Im hoping me starting WRC5 will be enough to deter me from getting games I KNOW I wont have fun with for the sake of an easy plat,

Not making a separate PSN account for my brother before he filled mine with a bunch of trophy lists I have no interest in clearing, leaving me with two choices - either I was left with an "impersonal" account, or I just hid all of his games.

(I chose the latter).

I don't know if it's "in gaming" per se, but my biggest gaming mistake was selling my Super Nintendo and my games back in 1995 or so to trade up to a PS1. While I loved the PS1, the SNES remains my favorite system to this day, and damn if I didn't have a great collection of lost classics on there.

• Like 1

- Playing with a friend to get the trophy where you can't die in Dead Space 3. We were at the last chapter and this nitwit fucked up and killed me with his stasis. And HE blamed me. Lol. Never played with him again.

- Buying DOA Xtreme 3 in full Japanese.

- Buying Amnesia Memories.

- Buying Destiny.

- Having lost all my achievements and saves on Xbox 360 for no reason.

- Trusting Square Enix.

• Like 3

Making a bunch of positive progress in a game, finding many secrets/strong weapons and items... only to fall asleep on the couch, wake up to turn the game off in order to go to bed, and forget to save the game and lost everything I did