What's the biggest mistake you've made in Gaming?

Kazeh54

48 minutes ago, HaserPL said:

Getting into trophy hunting.

This. There has been some moments when gaming hasn't felt any fun thanks to trophies. I miss the days when I played on my X360 and didn't care about achievements at all. It was just about enjoying games, nothing more nothing less.

• Like 1

Oh well, recently I bought R&C: Deadlocked HD on sale for 

€5,99. I really wanted it but

€14-15? Too much, so I thought €6 was ok... Then I realized that Deadlocked was also "included" in the digital version R&C Full Frontal Assault for the same price. LOL

Fortunately it's not that bad but I made a mistake anyway 

Edited by Agent_Renegade22

• Bought games on sale only to have them end up in my backlog and then go on sale for less.
  • Loaned a friend my SNES with awesome aftermarket turbo controller only to have the turbo controller broken and friend never admitting it happened.
  • Loaned Parasite Eve and FF7 to my brother then he loaned them to his little brother-in-law and never got them back.
  • Spending money (not much but, still!) on FarmVille.
  • Buying so many of those stupid Skylanders (Original, Giants, Swap Force... I finally came to my senses and skipped the rest).
  • Bought Malicious (Only a buck  in a Flash sale but, I'd rather have the dollar.)

8 hours ago, HaserPL said:

Getting into trophy hunting. And I'm serious about this. Back in 2013 when I wanted to plat games, I was thinking about this in a good way. I had many games, I was playing them with guides and I was getting platinums. It was fun. But when I reached ~80 plats, I had no fun from gaming. Now when I'm retired from trophy hunting, gaming finally brought some enjoyment. I had a blast while playing Witcher 3 without any guides or simply playing B:BC2 MP until platinum. My best decision was to drop out of it and play for fun. I will plat some great games, but now it is for me GAMES>PLATINUM and not PLATINUM>GAME. 

I can attest to this... however I've always been an on and off Nintendo fan, so that does help the situation, as I can only play those games for fun - no trophies involved!

I do find that I probably spend a little less time on those consoles than I do my PlayStation, but that's something I'll have to work on, and I really loved my Switch, so when some solid games come out that I'm really into, I don't think it'll be a problem.

My personal biggest mistake would be making myself stop playing Story of Seasons (3DS) so that I could play some other stuff on my Vita. Now I'm too afraid to go back to Story of Seasons and continue my progress, and I feel I'll just be so lost until I get a handle on it again, that I'd screw everything up that I was doing! Oh well, bring on the new one in October (for EU)!

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
  • Bought an Xbox One on a whim due to peer pressure from a friend when I actually wanted to buy a PS4 for months before that
  • Bought The Division on Launch Day
  • Accidentally overwrote a damn near Final Fantasy Tactics: War of the Lions save file I had been working on for a whole weekend

• 1 year later...

I was completely in love with Metal Gear from back in the days when it was, I think, an 8 bit game on Nintendo.  So not long after I got a PS1, I ran across Metal Gear Solid and of course picked it up.  It was bliss; it was the first game that I ever finished twice.  I loved it so much that everything else paled in comparison.  I tried a few different games in the months afterwards but nothing else compared, so before long I packed up my system and put it away and basically stopped being a gamer until I bought a PS3 (for the blu-ray player, mind you) in June of 2008.

My biggest mistake in gaming?  I basically gave it up for 10 years.

Biggest mistake I made in gaming is buying an xbox one for their "exclusives" Had the system for about 5 years and I only have 7 games for it. And none of them are even THAT great. To put that into perspective I probably buy 50 games a year on playstation. So 7 games for the entire lifespan of a console is just pathetic and seems like a waste. That's just MYYYYYY opinion though. Not trying to start anything with any xbox fans lol

I don't have many that I can remember. But playing Kingdom Hearts Birth by sleep on proud mode in an attempt to see the secret ending. I got very far with Ventus but could barely manage the first world with Aqua's route, so it was such a waste bothering with proud when I should have just done all three on normal and took the long way to the ending or just watched it on youtube.

Another is buying Tales of Zestiria on PS3. It was a rubbish game and even then, should have at least waited for the ps4 version but saw the ps3 version for 500 yen (£4) in Japan second hand. It doesn't have cross save so never bothered getting the ps4 version, but wasted a lot of time on the ps3 one 

This harkens back to the PS2 days.

I was playing through Shin Megami Tensei: Nocturne, one of my favorite RPGs of all time. I already had put some 100+ hours on it and was going father and farther into the optional dungeon, Labyrinth of Amala, while progressing the story at the same time. Then I entered the final story dungeon. Played around that for some time, saved the game and decided it was time to go back and finish the optional dungeon before finishing the story. When I got back there, though, I realized that the next kalpa (as the floors are called in-game) was locked. Locked. I had no idea that entering the final dungeon would prevent me from continuing to explore the Labyrinth of Amala. Although I love the game, I rarely replay lenghty RPGs, so I'm not sure if I'll ever see the Labyrinth of Amala through (although simply typing this made me want to play Nocturne all over again).

Dbzfighterz, gameplay was okay, but people blow it out of water, it also has that cancerous stuff about locking behind a paywall characters that all fighting games  have, even worse they announced a second season pass. Nah this stuff is spiralling out of control in fighting games. Plot was also a copypaste of Persona 4 arena, with troubled waifubait marysue and the usual evil clones but yeah I get it, plot doesn't exist in fighting games, but good lord try at least, I shed a tear in Tekken 7 when you know what happens.

Edited by scemopagliaccioh

Allowing my Xbox gamertag to be deleted by Microsoft for 5 years of inactivity. I was so into trophy hunting, and JRPGs are my main gaming love, so I thought Sony would serve me well enough from here on. Unfortunately they have wrecked their company with a new, insulting, puritanical, censorship policy. I'm now faced with having to start from scratch with zero achievements.

• wasting 50h in DA:Inquisition just to acknowledge I was hating the game and lacked the drift to continue
  • buying Disgaea 3,4 & 5 and HD Neptunia the 1st,2nd and 3rd because I thought I was gonna love them. I realized I hate these franchises.
  • this is a trend, and I'm surfing on it. I've several hundreds of games on Steam that I don't even want to touch
  • I bought too many discounted digital games on ps3 and vita, from all kind of regions. I don't think i can even play a third of their campaigns, ever.
Edited by Ekir
update

Spending most of my entire first year of college gaming, instead of socializing and focusing on school. I spent most of my time gaming instead of going to classes and socializing. i lived in residence and spent most of my time in my room. Because of that I didnt go to many of my classes and didnt have the college experience i would have wanted. I eventually leared to use gaming as a way to unwind, instead of making it my primary focus. Because of now learning to game responsibly I enjoy it more and appreciate the the games i do play more so because of it. Now I live in the moment and enjoy the real world, rather than escaping to a world that doesnt exist and watching the real world move past me.   

• Like 2

My biggest and dumbest mistake I've ever done was buying a gaming laptop for $3000.. holy freaking shit! The laptop is great and all, but since the day I bought it there was barely any new games that support SLI.. well, at least on launch, but what is really irritating me the most is there's no upgrade kits as msi promised and it was supposed to be upgradeable! Playing Witcher 3 on 1080p/60 fps while everything on max wasn't really worth it.. holy freaking shit! ?

Edited by CQC93

• Buying loads of games that i now sold back with a massive loss without even playing them or seeing the title screen. That's my biggest mistake.
  • Purely looking at one game i accidentally deleted the savefile for Top Spin 4 in which i was literally 2 matches away of getting the longest and grindiest career trophy so i had to start a whole new save to get the platinum.

Wasting 60 euros per game, instead of checking the price timeline on psprices really fucked me up. That site is a game changer, I never pay more than 5-10 euros now per game and they're usually bundles, you just need to have a low time preference and be patient, but you'll save tons of money in the longrun. Also after rereading this post it sounds like they fucking pay me to say this but I just like that site I swear I'm not a shill ?

• Like 1