Mario Kart 8 General Discussion (200cc Mode Announced!)

Parker

There was a Nintendo Direct dedicated just to Mario Kart 8 today so I figured now is as good a time as any for a thread on the game. 

Anyone else picking the game up? It is my most anticipated Wii U game this year (which really isn't saying much, to be honest) and so far it look fantastic. I can't wait to boot it up for the first time. 

Also, there will be a Mario Kart 8 Wii U bundle which includes a 32GB Wii U, Mario Kart 8, a red wheel (which I'm assuming is a plastic hunk of junk) and a download code for a digital copy of either Pikmin 3, New Super Mario Brothers U, The Wind Waker HD or Wii Party U. More details here

If you're planning picking the game up make sure you visit the Nintendo Network thread to share your ID so we can play online with each other. 

Parker

For me, the main draw of console Mario Kart games is the local co op.  Family, friends...Online would be cool if it doesn't suck like most of the Wii games did.  I didn't even bother with Mario Kart 7 because of the lack of local multiplayer.

looks amazing who says the Wii U is not powerful

No one is saying the Wii U isn't powerful, we're saying it is extremely underpowered compared to the PS4 and Xbone. It is also much easier to make a cartoon-y game like Mario Kart to look good than it is to make a realistic looking game. 

Parker

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm actually pretty surprised that Mario Kart has incorporated some characters from their other popular games. I don't think Pikachu or Kibry would be out of place in Mario Kart even if they aren't in the Mario universe. 

Parker

Apparently the Mario Kart director is open to other Nintendo characters joining the Mario Kart roster. 

Mario_kart_8_6.0_cinema_960.0.jpg

STAY CONNECTED. FOLLOW POLYGON NOW! 

Future Mario Kart games could go the way of the Super Smash Bros. series in terms of its roster of playable characters, Mario Kart 8 director Kosuke Yabuki told Nintendo Life.

According to Yabuki, adding non-Mario universe characters to the kart racing game is possible, though beefing up the roster alone doesn't necessarily improve the game.

"We’re always considering ways to make the Mario Kart games more appealing, but I don’t think that just increasing the number of characters would make the game better," he said. "Of course, I’m not ruling out the possibility of such an approach in the future though."

Yabuki added that he had to have series newcomers the Koopalings — Bowser's seven rambunctious minions — all appear together in Mario Kart 8; splitting them all up and only including a few was not an option. The director noted their inclusion was because of their "superb individuality" and unique expressions. These seven have replaced a handful of previously-included characters — Bowser Jr., Dry Bones, King Boo and Diddy Kong — for which Yabuki apologized to their fans.

Mario Kart 8 — in development with the same core team as Mario Kart 7 — includes a major new feature allowing players to defy gravity and drive up-side down. Yabuki said this mechanic evolved from the team's desire to include more underwater and outer space levels like in Mario Kart 7, both areas in which gravity behaves differently than it does on the ground. From there, the team decided to tinker with the overall way gravity works in the game to offer players something fresh.

"In Mario Kart 7, we introduced dynamic gravity to handle sequences underwater or on the moon for example," Yabuki said. "As the idea developed, it led us on to rethink how we handle gravity in the first place and we eventually came up with the anti-gravity feature of Mario Kart 8."

Source: Polygon

A Pokemon or Zelda themed course could be awesome and I'm really surprised that Nintendo hasn't already done this. I'm sure most fans would rather see more Nintendo characters instead of re-skinned models like the 7 Koopalings. 

Parker

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2014/05/29/nintendo-forms-unusual-partnership-with-mercedes-for-mario-kart-8-dlc/

A few weeks ago when Nintendo was sharing their vision for the future after adisappointing fiscal year, they mentioned that they were going to be open to “new licensing opportunities” with their characters. Specifics weren’t discussed, but it appears we may be seeing the first bizarre iteration of that idea in action.

Nintendo is partnering with Mercedes to promote the automaker’s new GLA crossover. The car will actually make its way into Mario Kart 8 as a bit of free DLC in Japan, resulting in the rather unsettling image you can see below.

On the surface, this whole thing sounds like an Onion article, but the deal is very much real. Obviously Nintendo is far from the first video game company to integrate product promotion in their games, but it’s beyond strange to see the normally tranquil and brand-free Mario universe invaded by a real-world car like this.

mario-mercedes.jpg

Obviously Nintendo needs to do whatever it takes to right their ship and stop losing money, and perhaps increased cross-promotion is a part of that. Still, this is pretty gauche for them, and just doesn’t seem like it fits with their brand. What’s next? Starfox promoting United Airlines? Kirby selling Oreck vacuums? Donkey Kong eating Chiquita brand bananas? There’s something about Nintendo’s kid-friendly cartoon universe that doesn’t mesh well with blatant advertising for luxury goods. Yes, Nintendo is not the only company to use beloved cartoon characters to sell products, but this isn’t Link on a cereal box, it’s a Mercedes GLA in a Mario Kart game. It’s just…odd.

I’m not looking for another opportunity to jump on Nintendo here, but this is too strange to let pass without comment. At least the DLC is free and optional, I suppose. Though this is currently a Japan-only plan right now, Nintendo says they’ll announce plans for the digital Mercedes GLA outside of the region shortly.

The partnership also produced this 30 second commercial spot featuring both an 8-bit GLA and a real-life Mario. It’s exactly as weird as you might expect a Japanese Mario-themed Mercedes commercial to be.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_AkgJZGspCM

Nintendo is obviously within their rights to cross-promote with whoever they please, but it’s just hard to look at that official image above and not be a bit creeped out.

Last line is so true.  It looks pretty weird seeing Mario in a Mercedes.

So if Nintendo is willing to have a real life car in Mario Kart surely that means they'll be okay with putting other Nintendo characters in the game too. I honestly wouldn't be surprised if we saw Pikachu or Toon Link as DLC now, and they would be infinitely more awesome than a Mercedes kart. 

Parker

This whole thing reminds me of Danica Patrick in Sonic All Stars Racing Transformed.

Ugh, don't remind me about that...

Can't wait for tomorrow. I'm just about to leave for work and I get off at 7:30 AM. As soon as I get off I'll be heading to GameStop and picking up MK8, not even gonna stop by my house first and change out of my uniform. 

Parker