Overall difficulty compared to Arkham Asylum?

willmill97

189 members have voted

1. 1. Is Arkham City easier or harder than Arkham Asylum?

• Easier
    • Harder

• 2 months later...
  • 7 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Definitely more difficult, one being it's a lot longer to platinum.

Since I just finished getting the Freeflow Gold trophy in Asylum, Arkham City will be a nightmare with the maps and campaigns. Played a bit of New Game Plus and there are definitely some tough spots, even with a slightly overpowered Batman. Good luck to anyone wishing to get 100 percent in Arkham City, because they'll probably need it.

• 5 weeks later...

How the poll ended up being 50-25 in favour of City being more difficult than Asylum is beyond me. :|

City is much easier than Asylum. The timing window for evades and counters is extremely generous now, combos don't drop as quickly or frequently because you can evade more than once in a row without dropping your combo, the distance in which you can engage an enemy is further and you have several newly added ways to stun or dispatch large groups of enemies more efficiently, like Batswarm, new instant takedowns and super slo-mo and you've got a game that's much easier to kick more ass, for longer periods of time, giving you higher scores, more xp, faster upgrades and recouping more health after each fight.

Edited by Stevieboy

How the poll ended up being 50-25 in favour of City being more difficult than Asylum is beyond me. :|

City is much easier than Asylum. The timing window for evades and counters is extremely generous now, combos don't drop as quickly or frequently because you can evade more than once in a row without dropping your combo, the distance in which you can engage an enemy is further and you have several newly added ways to stun or dispatch large groups of enemies more efficiently, like Batswarm, new instant takedowns and super slo-mo and you've got a game that's much easier to kick more ass, for longer periods of time, giving you higher scores, more xp, faster upgrades and recouping more health after each fight.

Yeah, I'm with you. I flew through the challenges in AC but struggled with the extreme combat challenges in AA. Maybe I just got better? Dunno. The only thing difficult about AC are the extreme predator campaign challenges, but even then the hardest ones are in the DLC.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1

Yeah, I'm with you. I flew through the challenges in AC but struggled with the extreme combat challenges in AA. Maybe I just got better? Dunno. The only thing difficult about AC are the extreme predator campaign challenges, but even then the hardest ones are in the DLC.

I totally agree with you and that's something I've always had in the back of my head; that many of us had already played Asylum before City and that more than likely contributed to the perceived ease of City.

On the flip side of that coin, I think that if someone were to play City before Asylum, I still think Asylum would still be more difficult because of the super tight timing window and lack of weapons so, I dunno.

• 3 weeks later...

The game is good overall but because its so different from Arkham Asylum its hard to compare apples to oranges. The Rocksteady crew knew exactly  what they were doing throwing in all that content into this game. The story and side quests feel like a glacier. Even though you're done, your not done.

There may be my personal dislikes with this game but how is one compare to the last game to this one. The last one was damn near perfect. (my main annoyance is the actress who played Quinn, I feel like it was a wrong choice.)

I wouldn't give it a 10/10 for a sequel but for a stand alone it would earn that 10. Try not to think of it to as a squeal rather a new and different adventure.

• 4 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Strong opinion with a fundamental flaw. IF Arkham City was on the whole easier than Arkham Asylum, wouldn't Arkham City have more platinum achievers? As of this post, AA platinum is at 10.69% and the AC platinum is at 5.42%, bordering "ultra rare" status.

I would agree with the posters combat assertions but the breadth and depth of challenges (campaigns were a b!tch) and number of riddler trophies (200 vs 400) give the nod to AC.

Edited by Stevieboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Strong opinion with a fundamental flaw. IF Arkham City was on the whole easier than Arkham Asylum, wouldn't Arkham City have more platinum achievers? As of this post, AA platinum is at 10.69% and the AC platinum is at 5.42%, bordering "ultra rare" status.

I would agree with the posters combat assertions but the breadth and depth of challenges (campaigns were a b!tch) and number of riddler trophies (200 vs 400) give the nod to AC.

Rarity =/= difficulty. If that were the case, Grounded mode from The Last of Us would be one of the easiest trophies on PSN as a whole - which it isn't, even though it's more common than Aabs Animals.

Riddler trophies aren't really that hard (in my experience so far at least). They're just time consuming and incredibly boring to go for.

• Like 1

Eight words:

"Augmented reality training started. Augmented reality training failed."

*breaks controller*

Edited by Stevieboy

I found it pretty simple, but that is because I've never really struggled with any Batman game. City is harder due to the predator challenges, but in terms of combat I found it much, much easier than Asylum. The only drawback in my opinion is the fact you don't get the Ultra Batclaw in Arkham City - that thing was game breaking in Arkham Asylum if you know how to use it. I am not too sure why people find the combat hard in any Batman game as it's very easy to learn. The game encourages practice and allows you unlimited retries if you mess up a combo or challenge. Sure it is nerve racking at first, but what game isn't these days? Practicing and knowing what to use in a combo is up to you and you alone. Personally, I just go with what the situation at the time demands, and call it a day. There is no need to get super fancy with your combos, just use what you need to use and move on with the game.

If you're going for the 100%, then you're in for a treat as the DLC is pretty difficult, especially the campaign variations of each characters challenges. However, I enjoyed it....even if it was repetitive nonsense. Overall, I felt like Arkham City was a solid game and made you "feel" more like Batman more so than Asylum did. Do not get me wrong, Asylum has its moments when it gets awesome, but City takes exploration and gives you a city to play with - you cannot beat that. The game isn't hard and is actually really good if you enjoy Batman as a character or the comics; however, if you're not used to these types of games, practice makes perfect, and you do not have to be a pro player to get the platinum nor the 100% for this game.

• 2 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Batman: Arkham City is much harder, Arkham Asylum doesn't have the campaigns and in the campaigns you need to set yourself with mostly negative disadvantages to yourself such as: no vantage points, detective mode scrambled for the whole thing, proximity mines placed all over the map and so on. Arkham Asylum's combat challenges allow you to make many mistakes and still get the 3 medals, I did Rumble in the Jungle Extreme and Shock and Awe Extreme on the first try and they weren't anywhere close to perfect runs, heck I've seen YouTube videos of people who almost got beat to death during them but still managed to complete them with the required score. Arkham City has more fluid combat and I enjoy the combat on that game more, the combat challenges are easier but Top of the World Extreme and Lost City Extreme are still much harder than anything on Arkham Asylum and that's just their standalone challenges, in the campaigns they can be even worse. If you were to include the difficulty of the entire 100%, Arkham City is much more difficult to 100% as well, Catwoman and Nightwing don't have smoke bombs or a cape, so you can end up pouncing with them and falling in the wrong place, which can alert the guards. Predator challenges in Arkham City give you less of an opportunity to perform the moves that you need for a specific medal, whereas it's much easier to get the enemies in place during Arkham Asylum predator challenges. Enemies on Arkham Asylum don't put mines over the place and there aren't any enemies with the detective mode jammer backpack. If you wanna talk about bullshit combat challenges, then go and play Arkham Knight's Community Challenges DLC, you'll be wishing you were back in Arkham Asylum while trying to get Requiem for a Killer and The Curtain Falls. 

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

When it comes to simply clearing the story I think Arkham City is easier but looking at getting 100% trophies Arkham City is definitely harder because of 440 Riddler challanges,you need to do all side quests again on NG+ and challanges are a bit time consuming since you have 4 chars to finish. Overall I think Batman AA would be 3/10 and Batman AC 5/10 in difficulty.

• 2 years later...

Having gotten 100% (And Platinum) on both, I can safely say: Batman Arkham City is much harder than Asylum. I've also played Asylum way before City, so any perceived difficulty for starting with City first in thrown out of the window for my case, in another words, since I started with Asylum and had already experience with it, City would be easier, but it's not. Arkham City is not only harder, but also much more time-consuming, for a bunch of reasons.

Story: Arkham City doesn't require a playthrough on hard but it requires a NG+ playthrough in which you can't see the counter "sign" and enemies are stronger and faster, basically the hard mode from Arkham Asylum. So it's a tie for the overall difficulty in story, but AC requires double the time AA does. None of the bosses or enemies really struck out to be harder than another counterpart in both games for me, so that still is tie.

Riddler Trophies: With no doubt whatsoever, the riddler trophies and riddles are much harder in AC. Simply put there is riddler trophy in AA that is hard to obtain, but there is plenty of them that requires a great deal of skill in AC.

Sidequests: AA doesn't have them, so AC wins by default. But even if AA had any of them, I really doubt they would compared to Advanced AR training missions, those simply take the cake for being the hardest side-stuff you can do in both games.

Riddler Challenges: This is the most debatable point for most people, but I think City is harder by the end of day. Combat-wise, AC is easier than AA because you have a much bigger time to evade or counter enemies, along many more tools at your disposal such as batswarm and Disarm & Destroy for Batman as an example. That said, you have much more maps to do, 6 regular and 6 extreme versions in AC versus 4 regular and extreme in AA. Truth be told there is only one combat map in AA that is really hard which goes by the name of Shock and Awe (Extreme). Okay, so AA has the edge on combat challenge maps, but that won't be this way for long...Predator challenge maps in AC simply destroy any shred of difficulty AA had in all their challenge maps. The objetives are much harder to achieve in AC and extreme versions of predator maps don't help much either, with objectives like taking no-damage at all while fighting 8 thugs armed to the teeth, the AI is also much more refined, basically making any small mistake to cost you entire run. And then you have...campaigns. Campaigns are basically 3 map in succession, with negative and positive modifiers (Mostly negative). You have 3 chances to retry if somehow fail in one of them...but since predator maps can screw you pretty much anywhere, you really ought to dominate any predator maps before trying these campaigns, or else you're SOL.

So to sum up, you need to get 72 medals in ranked maps and 108 campaign medals with Batman. But on top of that, if want 100%, you need to get these same amounts or slightly more with Catwoman, Nightwing and Robin, totalling over 720 medals easily.

So yeah, Asylum has Shock and Awe (Extreme). City has 6 hard-as-hell Predator maps along with Campaigns. Easy to say which one is harder :).

• 3 weeks later...

The only difficult portion of Arkham Asylum were the Freeflow challenges. Your combo drops quick so you need to be quick, apart from that nothing else is that bad. The Predator challenges are probably the easiest in the whole franchise. 

Arkham City is much more time consuming, you have to do challenges and campaign for all four playable characters, and you have to do all the side quests over again in New Game Plus. 

The only sigh of relief is you don’t have to collect all those Riddler trophies again. But you have to solve his puzzles just like you did before. 

Time consuming and rather annoying at times. There’s a good reason why Batman: Arkham City’s platinum is an ultra rare on the original PS3 version. Less than 1 percent of all players tracked on this website have all the trophies. 

It’s very easy to see which game is more difficult and annoying.