Can someone please clearly explain how the clear saves work?

dieselmanchild

So the guides on PSNP & PST really aren’t very clear on how to ensure the game tracks all your endings, simply stating you should “save your clear data” after each playthrough. To confuse things further, I did some searching via Google for answers to this question and found many comments contradicting one another. 

My questions:

1) With each new playthrough, are you supposed to overwrite your previous clear save from the last playthrough? Or should you save each clear save in a different slot each time?

2) How does the separate game mode for Maria’s scenario fit into this? Are you supposed to overwrite your main game clear save after finishing Maria’s scenario or keep your data from Maria’s scenario in a completely different slot?

I just want to be absolutely crystal clear on this and make sure the game is tracking all endings properly for the 10-Star run down the line.

Thank you to anyone who can clear this up for me! 🙂

• Like 1

You don’t need to overwrite any saves. In fact id say keep each of your clears saved and separate. The key is that each time you start a new game, you load the LATEST clear save so that everything you’ve done up to that point is included in your new game and stacks. In the end game screen if each new game you’ll see how many endings you have completed.

• Like 2

If I recall correctly, your clear saved data saves cannot be overriden with a normal save (in-game), you can only override it with another clear saved file after you finish the game. After you cleared the game simply go to load game and select the clear saved file (you can override and older clear saved file with a new one after you get another ending).

I don't remember how the maria section saves, but at least your main game cleared saves are safe.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Rebourne07 said:

You don’t need to overwrite any saves. In fact id say keep each of your clears saved and separate. The key is that each time you start a new game, you load the LATEST clear save so that everything you’ve done up to that point is included in your new game and stacks. In the end game screen if each new game you’ll see how many endings you have completed.

Yeah I’m aware that to help the game keep track of your endings you always have to load your most recent clear save before starting NG+.

It’s mainly storing them that is confusing, as it’s not mentioned in the guides and people tend to say completely different things (ie. like you and Deceptrox just did lol) Good news is since you guys both have the platinum I trust that either way works, as long as you’re loading the most recent one each time.

My first instinct was to simply overwrite my last clear save with the new one after each run, but I saw a few comments on different forums of people claiming this screwed things up for them. Since most of the discourse on this game is from 10 years ago it’s hard to be sure. 🤷‍♂️

Appreciate the quick response!

4 minutes ago, Deceptrox said:

If I recall correctly, your clear saved data saves cannot be overriden with a normal save (in-game), you can only override it with another clear saved file after you finish the game. After you cleared the game simply go to load game and select the clear saved file (you can override and older clear saved file with a new one after you get another ending).

I don't remember how the maria section saves, but at least your main game cleared saves are safe.

Yeah that’s precisely what I meant, overriding a clear save with a newer clear save after achieving each ending.

I think maybe I’ll play Maria’s scenario sooner than later to test out whether it starts showing on my results screen in the main game. I heard it’s super short so it shouldn’t be the end of the world if I have to replay it.

Thanks a lot. 

• Like 1

Just an update for anyone who has this question in the future:

Im on my 4th run at the moment and so far I’ve saved each Clear Save on a separate file and it’s all worked correctly. As long as you load the previous file each time the game will chain them correctly. Just make sure to verify at the end results screen each time to be sure.

Maria

The same rule applies for Maria’s scenario (“Born From A Wish” campaign). You can load the Clear Save from your Maria’s scenario before starting an NG+ in the main campaign again and it will keep the chain going and add the sub-scenario to your end results.

You can verify it’s working correctly if you find the Blue Gem in the bathroom immediately after starting a new game, as this item only shows up if you’re in NG+ AND have beaten Born From A Wish.

• Like 1

• 3 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 3/18/2024 at 4:26 PM, NottsRetroClub said:

So essentially, with each new ending attempt, load the most recent prior to attempting? 

Yes, you need to keep the “chain” going so each new game remembers what you’ve done in your previous playthroughs.