Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Mr_Freaker

How "real" do you want games to be?

25 posts in this topic

How realistic do you want games to be (in the future)?

EDIT: and instead of only discussing graphics, what abot gameplay...?

Edited by Mr_Freaker

Saints Row is perfect. its all about fun, not rules and reality.

Graphics wise, Graphics don't need to be real to be good. You can still have "great" graphics without having them to be "real". Many games these days rely heavily on really nice, photo real graphics. Many of you would probably get some opinions, read some reviews and explore a game's genre, gameplay, and features with graphics being a lower priority. It's (unfortunately) a high selling point for lots of average gamers, At least here in America.

A far as immersion goes; I think VR is becoming a big thing. With VR, I can see an uprising in the horror genre in the near future. Horror movies these days can be predictable. However, with the immersion that VR offers, it would be much scarier than a movie. Think about it, You thought Outlast was scary? Try playing it with the Morpheus. I'd be screaming like a b*tch

Edited by Blue Flare

Depends on the genre. One of my favorite genres of video game is racing simulators and I'd like those to be as realistic as possible since they are trying to replicate the real world. Of course I'd still like arcade racers as well since I enjoy those from time to time too. 

There needs to be a balance of realistic games as well as goofy over the top games because everyone likes something different. Someone might want the most realistic military shooter imaginable where someone else might want a completely arcade shooter. There will never be one game that will satisfy everyone.

Parker

Let's keep it out of Uncanny Valley territory at least. If you're unfamiliar about the Uncanny Valley, it's a hypothesis that states that the closer something looks to authentically human, but does not quite behave and move like a human, the more it causes a sense of revulsion to a real human. For example:

450px-Mori_Uncanny_Valley.svg.png

It shows up all the time in robotics and especially 3d animation. Some good examples in 3d animation would be in the movie Polar Express.

Edited by damon8r351

Depends on the game as people above have stated. Some games revel in the ridiculous, making them far better playing experiences as a result. Other games need to look realistic in order to create immersion. All that matters to me is that the graphics suit the style the devs are aiming for. 

Realism doesn't substitute for gameplay.

I don't care about realism in either graphics or gameplay, the only thing that I want to be realistic is the behaviour of characters (eg: how they react to situations or to eachother,...)

I hope more games use the cutting mechanics from Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance.

Graphics don't really matter to me but i do think some games benefit from looking realistic.

When it comes to realistic by aesthetics, as long as it's aesthetically appealing, I don't care how realistic the graphics look. When it comes to mechanics, I don't think realism really matters. That's what makes games great. You're able to do things on games that you'd never be able to do in real life. As long as the mechanics run smoothly, I could care less how realistic they are.

Even though I don't really care about graphics it is nice to see some realistic looking graphics sometimes. I don't really like when games try to make controls more realistic. Usually the more realistic the controls are the less fun I have with a game

Better graphics are always nice. But it would prefer to keep a controller into my hands.

True gamer does not care about graphics.

Graphics are the last thing I care about in games.

Look these games as example; walking dead, hotline miami, guacamelee, brothers, journey.

Their graphics are not realistic, but story, gameplay.. Thats what makes them special.

Its not about 'how graphics are real', its how characters and story are real. Thats what makes some game 'real'

I definitely agree with this.

Well, depending on the game you might not want to see ultra realistic graphics going on......games like Kingdom Hearts, Disgaea or the Tales of games surely don't need that, I like them having fantastic designs, that show that they're fantasy after all. Now, if we're talking about a verisimilar story in a verisimilar world filled with verisimilar characters (Uncharted, Tomb Raider, GTA) then I'm pro realistic graphics, they really make the experience way more immersive, especially facial expressions-wise. 

Aside from that, I really feel like the gameplay is the one which does the trick. A game can look as bad as it gets and still be fun if the gameplay is catchy and addictive enough.

Also, try some classics like ICO or Journey with realistic graphics and the spark may get lost. They give you this psychological impulse with their mechanics and the feelings they provide, so my point is that graphics are not a key thing in some genres, in some games it's just the icing on the cake and in others it's a more relevant feature :)

I don't want Borderlands to stop looking like a cartoon.  :unsure:

I really don't care how real or none real they look I love the stories and see them improve for example bioshock trilogy the storyline is just amazing <3 but sad what happened I was hoping for another one... Graphics don't matter only the story line and one game can have the worst graphics ever but if the story line is good the game would rock and be badass

Depends, I dont care for how realistic graphics get, but I dont want to play a game with realistic physics. Thats not the reason why I game.

Better graphics are always nice. But it would prefer to keep a controller into my hands.

I DEFINITELY agree with this! When the Wii first came out, I was really apprehensive about getting it cause of the whole motion system thingamajig, I really wasn't feeling it (still got it anyway, though and it wasn't as "futuristic"or bad as I thought)- I am very content with just a controller, it is just plain fun (especially playing with an arcade stick!!! omgggg, I meeellllttt) I don't have to be physically involved in the game or anything unless the console will be able to somehow...actually transport me into the game. lol 

I don't want Borderlands to stop looking like a cartoon.  :unsure:

Borderlands is a good example, too. (that graphics are not important)

I don't know, since I mostly enjoy playing RPGs, I would love to have the sensation of riding a dragon, wielding a sword or play a character that has wings and experience flying that way. I'm not too worried about the graphics, but I guess that depends as well.

Edited by Edunstar84

Depends, if you want to play a platformer, you don't want it / need it to be real.

I prefer an artsy style to a realistic one., Castle of Illusion is a excellent example of this loved the look it was awesome imo.

Plus never want to see games get as realistic as the Daxter idea O_O!

post-96784-0-00692500-1399228078_thumb.jpg

i want to be able to jump into a game in 2030

i want to be able to jump into a game in 2030

Depends on the genre of game I'm playing; some genres yes and others Hell to the No!