Official 2014 Major League Baseball Discussion Thread

DanielVT

bayer_logos.pngred-sox-world-champions.png

As titled, this is the official 2014 MLB discussion thread. With the Red Sox as defending World Series champs, will they repeat? If not, who will dethrone them? Have fun, and keep it friendly! :D 

Edited by DanielVT

Seeing as 3/4 of the team had career years and the rest had above average years.  No, they will not repeat.  Mix in the loss of 1/3 of their starting lineup, replaced with 2 rookies and a 38 year old Catcher and it all adds up great.

Then again, not like any other AL team looks that great.

Too soon to tell anything, but I doubt more than the division winner from the East makes the playoffs.  Being able to play the Astros 19 times will certainly help the teams out west.

Then we have the Tigers, who are obviously twice as good as anyone in their division and have been for years, and yet they always seem to finish with a very slim lead over 2nd... Barely limping to a division title.

i am a redsox fan too,i don't care whether redsox will defend its title as long as yanks fail to enter playoffs

Same. Nothing would make me happier to see the Yanks go on an insane spending spree and miss the playoffs. Red Sox look like they are FINALLY starting to heat up. They only had to stay close during this semi-slump, and they remain just 1.5 games back. As good as the starting pitching has been, I'm fairly optimistic to say the least.

• 1 month later...

Typical Red Sox fans.   "I don't care how my team does (when we're doing shitty) As long as the Yankees lose"

Lol, worry about your own team.  Especially when they spent a good part of May/June behind the Astros in the standings.

As for the Yankees, they're just not a very good team.  I know this, and yet... The rest of the division isn't good either, so theres hope nevertheless. 

I'll just soak in the last year of a first ballot HOF career and be happy.

• 2 months later...

Seems like this thread has died a little bit but since we're getting close to playoff time maybe it'll get busy again.

I'm a Dodgers fan so obviously rooting for them but I gotta admit i'm a little worried. There are days when the Dodgers look like the most dominant team in all of baseball and other days when the look like the Bad News Bears. Hopefully their consistency will work itself out in the playoffs. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Not sure if there's an "official MLB thread" so I'm gonna necro this one and try to get a mod to change the title to the MLB thread so us baseball fans (if there are anymore) can have a place to talk.

Anyways, I'm a long-suffering Mariners fan who is daring to be excited about what they're currently putting on the field and expecting the annual disaster any time now.  Anyone else out there got a team they wanna talk about?

1 hour ago, skidmarkgn said:

Anyways, I'm a long-suffering Mariners fan who is daring to be excited about what they're currently putting on the field and expecting the annual disaster any time now.  Anyone else out there got a team they wanna talk about?

M's are all offense. Pretty big season for the management. Fingers crossed. Edwin Diaz tho :holy:

7 hours ago, Green said:

M's are all offense. Pretty big season for the management. Fingers crossed. Edwin Diaz tho :holy:

Funny how Gordon was kind of acquired as an afterthought when the goal of the trade was getting more international $$$ to spend on Ohtani.  Him and Haniger might be the steals of the century.

That lineup though, when does a pitcher ever get a chance to relax.

• Like 1

Dude, don't get me started on Ohtani xD That dude wanted to play with no one else but Trout, no matter what other teams would offer. Wasted a lot of peoples time. But I'm glad it worked out this way, so when the Mariners finish ahead of the Angels I can give him a big "up yours".