Xilla or Symphonia duology

skateak

Xilla or Symphonia duology   

23 members have voted

1. 1. Tales of Xilla or Tales of Symphonia&Dawn of the New World

• Xilla
    • Symphonia&Dawn of the New World

I have had the games for a while now but can't decide what one I want to do first. I beat Symphonia a long time ago when it first came out on Gamecube but never played the sequel. Don't remember a whole lot about it so it would almost be a new game to me. I am going to start the winner after I am done with the PES 2014 platinum. 

Edited by skateak
  • Like 1

My vote is Xillia... having played both Symphonia games as well as Xillia i will say that Xillia has a wonderful story coupled with great gameplay... This isn't to downplay Symphonia because when that game came to the US on the GameCube, it was one of my favorite games... the problem is that it is still an older game and although its in "HD" it still looks like a GameCube game.

Symphonia is widely regarded as the best Tales game, but the plat is way harder than the Xillia plat. You're looking at at least 150 hours for Symphonia, if you don't mess up, and Xillia is only about 60. Also, Dawn of the New World is just awful, so I wouldn't even bother playing it.

If you're eventually going to do both, then I say go for Symphonia first, mainly because it's an earlier entry in the series, and they improved and refined lot of the gameplay mechanics by the time they got to Xillia. So, starting with Xillia and then going to Symphonia might make Symphonia feel more dated and constricting, but if you start with Symphonia you'll avoid that completely and likely get the most enjoyment out of both games.

But if you're only looking to plat one, then go for Xillia. It's way easier and takes way less time.

Edited by Rawrgna
  • Like 1

I voted Xillia, mostly because having got the Plat on my old ID I can tell you that it doesn't take as long as Symphonia probably will, there's not much to miss apart from a few sidequests if I remember rightly and going through it a second time you can easily pick them up.

My run took about 80 hours and the combat feels a lot more fluid than Symphonia.

As much as I love Symphonia, Xillia is definitely the easier Plat. Rawrgna does make a very good point though~

Edited by Lion-Lhasa

Xillia. The platinum is a little Grindy but easy.

You think Xillia is grindy? Don't try Symphonia then :P.

Xillia is faster for :platinum:. You need 2 playthroughs and maybe a partial one to finish up if you don't level up cooking and shops properly. Symphonia requires 4 or 5+ playthroughs depending on how well you manage your relationship levels with all the characters for their various titles. And then there's also the missable events you need for some of those.

Xillia is also much better if you look at graphics (Symphonia is a 10 year old game that's just got a bit of a makeover).

As for story and gameplay I think both games are equally great. Xillia's controls are a bit more evolved, but as I said, Symphonia is quite old.

AS for Symphonia 2... I haven't got around to it yet on PS3. I've played it on the Wii, and it's and alright game. The graphics are a lot better than Symphonia 1 and the story is alright, but Symphonia 1 and Xillia are much better in my opinion.

I voted for Xillia as it's the faster :platinum:. But definetly go for Symphonia after you're done :lol:

Edited by Ric_373
  • Like 1

If you're not going for the Platinum, then by all means, do the Symphonias first, mostly so you don't have to "forget" anything tricks you might have learned if you played Xillia first. (Like Free Running) Once you finish those, then you can head on to Xillia, which will prep you for Xillia 2 which comes out in August. 

If you're not going for the Platinum, then by all means, do the Symphonias first, mostly so you don't have to "forget" anything tricks you might have learned if you played Xillia first. (Like Free Running) Once you finish those, then you can head on to Xillia, which will prep you for Xillia 2 which comes out in August.

Definitely going for the platinum for all 3. Might get Tales of Graces f afterwards. Might be burnt out on JRPG for a lil.