Switching completely to the Vita...

Dreakon139

I already know one or two people doing this (selling/getting rid of the PS3 and getting a Vita), anyone around here doing it and want to get into why?

A little part of me is considering this myself.

- The damn thing looks almost PS3-esque in quality.

- I'll be able to get my Uncharted fix and my Little Big Planet fix on it... not to mention other games I'm looking forward to like Final Fantasy X HD coming out for it. Who knows, might even be able to get my NHL 13 or NHL 14 fix on it as well someday.

- If I get a large enough memory card, I'd imagine I could store my music on it as well and it would become my "iPod" (a higher capacity MP3 player, something I've been in need of for the longest time). The $250-300 price tag isn't too far off from what a new iPod Touch would cost me anyways.

- Cross game chat... probably not in too high of demand since it's a WiFi handheld, but it'd still be nice to have. We all know how much I love it lol.

- Finally! I would be able to game and watch TV/hockey/movies on my big screen TV at the same time. No longer would I have to choose between the two.

The thing seems like it hits a lot of the right notes for me. That said, I struggle enough sharing my free time between two games... no less two consoles worth of games. If I got the PS Vita, I'd have to wonder why my PS3 is sitting there collecting dust instead of off buffering my bank account with the little extra cash I get for pawning it off.

Does this sound reasonable, or am I having one of my famous "sell everything" moments like I did the with my first PS3 (that's right, this is my second)? Do you guys think the Vita will eventually have a game catalog that competes with the PS3? Is it silly to think a handheld can replace a full-fledged HD console?

I think your out of your mind! Although the Vita is impressive, the game catalog and quality will never rival that of a console. We have seen this in the past with the PSP... And even on other non-Sony products such as the Nintendo DS.

I'd own both, but never sell of the PS3 to switch entirely to the Vita

I think it's a stupid idea that some people are doing this. The only plausible reason I can see for doing it is for mobility. XGC isn't a big enough addition for a complete change and pretty much every reason you listed I can do already. Of course this is just my situation and others are different, I just don't think it's a good idea overall.

pretty much every reason you listed I can do already. Of course this is just my situation and others are different, I just don't think it's a good idea overall.

Just out of curiosity, how do you propose I bring my PS3 to work and use it as a MP3 player/iPod? And considering I only have one TV, how do you propose I watch TV/movies and play some of my favorite Playstation games? These are relatively sought after features for me and things I could never do with my current setup (my laptop is too weak to game).

I wasn't necessarily trying to convince others, I understand it may not be the best idea for you... but I think these are some valid points, including XGC.

Just out of curiosity, how do you propose I bring my PS3 to work and use it as a MP3 player/iPod? And considering I only have one TV, how do you propose I watch TV/movies and play some of my favorite Playstation games? These are relatively sought after features for me and things I could never do with my current setup (my laptop is too weak to game).

I wasn't necessarily trying to convince others, I understand it may not be the best idea for you... but I think these are some valid points, including XGC.

MP3 Player = I have an iPod.

Tv/Movies = Laptop, however I don't see why you would want to watch and game at the same time.

Basically, I use my laptop, PS3 and TV for everything. Personally I don't really see the point in switching completely, having both is understandable but switching completely? not a fan, the battery life doesn't seem long enough (unless you buy a better battery) and the memory cards, also not a fan of (unless they allow for 3rd party card support).

Like I said, the only plausible reason I can see for switching is the mobility a VITA offers, but this is only in my case. I can see a VITA being more helpful for people who don't have many TV's and a family (Using up the TV). But for those people, buy another TV, it would probably be better and I can't see the VITA library trumping that of the PS3 ever.

Also, I can't see why some people think XGC is a good enough reason to switch or get the VITA, you'd have to hope that your friends get a VITA for that to even be worth it.

• Like 1

MP3 Player = I have an iPod.

Tv/Movies = Laptop, however I don't see why you would want to watch and game at the same time.

Basically, I use my laptop, PS3 and TV for everything. Personally I don't really see the point in switching completely, having both is understandable but switching completely? not a fan, the battery life doesn't seem long enough (unless you buy a better battery) and the memory cards, also not a fan of (unless they allow for 3rd party card support).

Like I said, the only plausible reason I can see for switching is the mobility a VITA offers, but this is only in my case. I can see a VITA being more helpful for people who don't have many TV's and a family (Using up the TV). But for those people, buy another TV, it would probably be better and I can't see the VITA library trumping that of the PS3 ever.

Also, I can't see why some people think XGC is a good enough reason to switch or get the VITA, you'd have to hope that your friends get a VITA for that to even be worth it.

Bold #1: My entire gaming career has been behind a video game screen and a TV screen. I multi-task like crazy. That's typically why I gamed on the PC for the longest time (before keeping it marginally up-to-date became more of a strain on my pocketbook than I was willing to continue with). Having the hockey game on the background, or some TV in general is very nice. If I want to focus on the TV more, I do. If I want to focus on my game more, I do. This recent console phase of my life has me missing the good ol' days where I can pull that off and watching stuff on the PC really isn't the same... especially when it comes to my hockey because online streams generally suck and it's only played on local channels.

Also I tend to IM with people while I game at night, so with the VITA the TV would be free for watchin' and the PC would be free for chattin'. ;)

Bold #2: Somehow spending $300+ on another TV just seems silly to me. At least with the VITA plan I make some of that spent money back with whatever I get for the PS3/accessories/games.

Bold #3: Most of my real-life friends either don't game or don't have PS3's. My PSN friends largely consist of people from this site and/or other sites, and people I meet in my travels online. I don't think it'd be particularly difficult to find folks to chat with and XGC is significantly better than any currently existing voice chat solution outside of wheeling a PC into the living room and swapping Skype information with anyone I want to chat with.

We're clearly on two different wavelengths lol.

NEVER SELL YOUR PS3!!!! The Vita to me is a portable PS3 but it never replaces the PS3. Just think of all the games that are only for the PS3 that you would miss out on!!! I'm getting the Vita as a complement to the PS3. It's another venue to pile the trophies on to my profile, and it also offers entries into my favorite franchises that are not availiable on another system. The best part to me is that I can play the Vita anytime and not have to share the families 60 inch when I play PS3. With this said, do not sell your PS3, after you play the Vita into the ground, you will want your PS3 back!

If you think you're having the same quality experience on the Vita as you do on your PS3, I see no reason why you should keep your PS3. For me, however, I find it very hard to believe that I will have an experience that matches my console experience, so I wouldn't think for a second to sell my PS3. If I were you, I would wait a little while to see what the library looks like, and if you think it's good enough to sell your PS3, go for it. Gran Tursimo will never be as good on a handheld as it is on console. B)

Parker

If you're on the go often, it definitely makes sense to have a handheld system like the Vita. For me personally, I would always rather a normal console though. I have good eyes, but I still much prefer playing games on a big screen. The battery life is always too low on handhelds, too. The PSP seemed to have a ton of RPGs though, especially compared to the PS3. If possible, I would just try to have both.

• Like 1

Sony Walkman 8GB- $60. Supports video, radio, pictures, and music. You'll need more than $60 to downgrade to the Vita from the PS3

Also, we have no idea how many problems the Vita will have at launch. Some of those feature may not work. Remember the Vita only has a 3.5-4 hour battery life. Also, there are still more of each series on PS3 than Vita. Also, if you have few friends on a 5 year old console, how many will have a brand new handheld?

Also, a new 20" TV for actual TV watching would be just $100 or so at HH Gregg, Best Buy, or comparable dealer now that it's after Christmas.

8 GB isn't enough to hold my music, no less any videos or pictures. Though I wouldn't use it for videos and pictures.

I don't think that worrying about whether or not games or music (the two things I would use most on the Vita) works is a very valid thing to hold against it. Not only do they seem to be working in Japan, but the month or two spent in Japan will hopefully help in working the kinks out... also I seriously doubt there will be any bugs that render the Vita completely unable to play games or music. If so, I'll betcha they fix them relatively quick.

I'm not horribly concerned about battery life. When I'm home, I would probably just plug it in when I play. Considering I work at an office, there are outlets all over my work area... I could easily plug the thing in while listening to music. It also wouldn't shock me if that battery life gets a bit higher when you aren't gaming. Also, you never know... future third-party battery packs and firmware updates could improve it as well.

The gaming catalog on the PS3 is probably the only reason I wouldn't do this... now that I'm thinking about it. Though I think Uncharted: Golden Abyss, LittleBigPlanet Vita and Final Fantasy X HD alone could probably entertain me for quite a while.

I only need one friend for XGC to be useful. I think I can manage.

Working another TV into my living room is not only a huge change in dynamic that no one but myself would appreciate, it isn't very practical either. I'm not sure if anyone around here would understand it, since I seem to be the only person that multi-tasks while gaming to this extent... but doing this works a lot better than the game screen is closer to me and the TV screen is in the background. Setting them up next to eachother, or trying to place one TV closer to me and another off against a wall would make for a very unpleasant experience and a very dysfunctional living room setup. First world problems, eh? :P

Get theirs, call restricted.

You seem intent on paying $250+ to talk to people. You might as well get an iPhone for that money

Well, first of all, I'm not intent on anything yet. The Vita isn't even out here yet. Some folks around here are just intent on telling me why I shouldn't. Which is cool I guess, that's partially why I posted this... but no need to get too frisky about it.

Secondly, I would be intent on paying $250+ for all the reasons I listed in the OP. The fact you grabbed one of the more minor points and emphasized it doesn't really change that.

- Cross game chat... probably not in too high of demand since it's a WiFi handheld, but it'd still be nice to have. We all know how much I love it lol.

Their exist a 3G version of PS Vita.

I would not sell my PS3, since their is so many good titles on PS3, that don't exist on Vita yet! and I neither need to factory Reset my PS3 each time I need to buy a game from US PSN

Their exist a 3G version of PS Vita.

Yeah, but who wants to pay monthly for something I would intend to primarily game on. :)

Odds are I won't be doing this, mainly because I'll be kicking myself once GTA V comes out... but I can see why people would. Something about having a console almost as strong as the PS3 (if not stronger in some ways) in the palm of my hands is appealing enough that it would make me consider giving up the PS3 as a whole. So that's saying something. :P

back when i first got my psp, i thought it could replace my ps2.... but nah, i still played ps2 more.. so yeah, i dont think you should do that.

Mobile technology has come a long way though.

The only void the Vita wouldn't be able to fill for me would be certain games that will never find their way on there (GTA and Skyrim are the only games I'd really regret losing). The rest of my games I could either take or leave, or I've completely played out. It's got some Uncharted, LittleBigPlanet, there's a Yakuza game in development for it... I would be kind of surprised to see my precious NHL games not get a Vita port somewhere along the line as well. Final Fantasy X HD. Even get my trophy hunting fix with it.

There aren't a ton of games I'm looking forward to on the PS3, and one of the two is on the Vita. So what am I losing really?

It all kind of depends on how successful it is. If Vita becomes the wave of the future in the States and Europe, you bet your bottom that developers will clamor to try and make some money off of it. I don't necessarily see that happening between Sony shooting themselves in the foot with certain decisions and the lack of people wanting to spend $300+ for a "Game Boy", which is why I'm easing away from the ledge... but you never know.

• 4 weeks later...

Look, to be honest, it depends on titles. I wont be selling my PS3, Because I collect my consoles, even when un-used. *Cough, Atari*

But lets say every single game comes out on both Vita, and PS3? I'd be buying EVERY game on my PS®Vita; Basically, making a complete switch. However, we all know this isn't going to happen, so chances are I'll be buying 50/50. Increasing my PS3 Collection to 200 within the next couple of weeks, and hopefully I'll have around 50 Vita games at the end of 2012.

Only 55 games planned for this year, a lot less than usual.

First I havent even finished half of the OP (Sorry Dreakon :rolleyes: )

BUT SERIOUSLY...........Iam too pissed to go into the detail, to put it short:

You are NOT a gamer if you DONT have atleast one consule at home. enough said (Portable devices ARE NOT CONSULES)

Have you owned any other handheld?

To answer your question, I draw on my PSP experience. Owning one was a nice convenience whilst on the go, but at no point did it fully satisfy my gaming fix. Vita blows PSP out of the water technically, agreed, but the principle remains the same.

Sorry, but I wouldn't trade gaming on my 42" HDTV for a handheld.

• Like 1

• 6 years later...
On 26/12/2011 at 1:20 AM, Dreakon139 said:

I already know one or two people doing this (selling/getting rid of the PS3 and getting a Vita), anyone around here doing it and want to get into why?

A little part of me is considering this myself.

- The damn thing looks almost PS3-esque in quality.

- I'll be able to get my Uncharted fix and my Little Big Planet fix on it... not to mention other games I'm looking forward to like Final Fantasy X HD coming out for it. Who knows, might even be able to get my NHL 13 or NHL 14 fix on it as well someday.

- If I get a large enough memory card, I'd imagine I could store my music on it as well and it would become my "iPod" (a higher capacity MP3 player, something I've been in need of for the longest time). The $250-300 price tag isn't too far off from what a new iPod Touch would cost me anyways.

- Finally! I would be able to game and watch TV/hockey/movies on my big screen TV at the same time. No longer would I have to choose between the two.

The thing seems like it hits a lot of the right notes for me. That said, I struggle enough sharing my free time between two games... no less two consoles worth of games. If I got the PS Vita, I'd have to wonder why my PS3 is sitting there collecting dust instead of off buffering my bank account with the little extra cash I get for pawning it off.

Does this sound reasonable, or am I having one of my famous "sell everything" moments like I did the with my first PS3 (that's right, this is my second)? Do you guys think the Vita will eventually have a game catalog that competes with the PS3? Is it silly to think a handheld can replace a full-fledged HD console?

Curious, but did you ever sell your ps3 for the vita? How do you feel now?