The state of cross-buy in 2024

Incognito_D

Hi everyone,

Earlier this week I bought Risk of Rain for my PS4. The store listing is here and you can see it says "Purchasing this content entitles you to both the PS4™ system and “PS Vita” system versions!" which is to be expected since this is clearly a cross-buy game, right?

Anyway, I went to download it for my Vita and found that it has been de-listed from the store. 'No problem', I thought. I'll just get it from the Download List. Anyway, I went into the Download List and the game is nowhere to be found. I checked top to bottom in case that glitch had sent it to the bottom, as it did with some DLC that I purchased for a PS3 game last summer.

So anyway, I got in touch with Sony but they don't care and claim that the mention of Vita functionality is an "error" on the game's page, and that they don't support the Vita any more. I mean... that's fine guys but then why are you specifically still advertising the cross-buy functionality?

Anyway, it looks to me like cross-buy is in bad shape to say the least. I don't have any other recent purchases to compare it to, but I wondered if you guys had any recent experiences of cross-buy on Vita? I am almost tempted to buy another cross-buy indie game to see if it's in the same boat.

Would be curious to hear if anyone else had similar experiences recently with cross-buy Vita games.

13 minutes ago, Incognito_D said:

So anyway, I got in touch with Sony but they don't care and claim that the mention of Vita functionality is an "error" on the game's page, and that they don't support the Vita any more. I mean... that's fine guys but then why are you specifically still advertising the cross-buy functionality?

We're all aware that Sony level 1 support is the least helpful avenue for getting help. Arguing with them is futile.

14 minutes ago, Incognito_D said:

Anyway, it looks to me like cross-buy is in bad shape to say the least. I don't have any other recent purchases to compare it to, but I wondered if you guys had any recent experiences of cross-buy on Vita? I am almost tempted to buy another cross-buy indie game to see if it's in the same boat.

Would be curious to hear if anyone else had similar experiences recently with cross-buy Vita games.

My speculation is this isn't an overall Vita cross-buy thing and more likely down to a title-specific cross-buy thing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Incognito_D said:

Not long ago I bought Salt and sanctuary and the cross-buy was fine, and the same is true about Darkest Dungeon along with the DLCs. However, both these games are still listed in the store, unlike Risk of rain, which is not (and which I also bought on the assumption that it would work on the Vita). So as long as the game can be found in the Vita store, the cross-buy should be fine. However, looking at some of the "discounts" for the cross-buy games on the Vita store, the "reduced" PS+ price is sometimes 2x or 3x higher than the base price 🤣.

2 hours ago, Incognito_D said:

This is frustrating to see @Incognito_D.

Over the last two years, I've been trying to buy as many Cross-Buy games for my Vita as possible – before the Vita Store's eventual closure. And the same goes for PS3.

The giant PlayStation Trophies Cross-Buy thread and Vita Player's Cross-Buy list have been great sources for checking for Cross-Buy games. 

On the whole, the majority of my Cross-Buy purchases have given me access to all the versions listed for the region (EU/UK or US).

However, I have had issues with games that have been delisted (from one, or more, of the PlayStation Stores) or games that have been relisted/reissued.

1. DELISTING

Lumo is one example of a game that was originally Cross-Buy for PS4 and Vita, before both versions were delisted. The PS4 version has been relisted, but the digital Vita version doesn't appear to have been relisted with it, despite it still listing it as "Cross-Buy" in places – I've bought Lumo from the UK and US stores and got zip on my Vita.

2. PARTIAL DELISTINGS

Some games have been delisted for certain regions and PlayStation Stores, but not others. For example, in late 2023, I wanted to pick up Mousecraft (PS3, PS4 Vita). I discovered that the game had been delisted from the UK PlayStation Store across the web, mobile and PS4.

However, Mousecraft was still available on the UK PS3 Store. I purchased it there, and got all three versions.

This game was published by Curve Digital. At least two other games (Rogue Aces and Titan Attacks!) have been delisted from the UK/EU PlayStation Store, but they are currently still listed (and occasionally on sale) on the US PlayStation Store.

3. REISSUES

Finally, I'm seeing games that have been reissued on the PlayStation Store (at least for the UK/EU) having their Cross-Buy benefits broken. I had this happen to me when I bought the reissued listing of Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition (Nov 2022) last spring: at that time, there were still TWO listings for Another World: 20th Anniversary Edition on the UK Store, and the 2022 version only gave me the PS4 version. I emailed Sony, but got no response. Eventually, a fresh sale came around and the old 2014 listing went on sale – buying that version added the PS3 and Vita versions to my account.

But I've had this same issue again with the 2023 reissue of Cel Damage (originally released as Cross-Buy in 2014): 

For anybody who is also buying Cross-Buy games for their Vita or PS3 at this point, I would say be incredibly careful. Check the listings closely and watch out so you can avoid instances like these.

Edited by DK33per
Correcting a typo
  • Like 1

Energy Cycle (EU) is also not available as a cross-buy, even though the PSN listing states that it is.

The bundle will give you Energy Balance & Energy Invasion, but no Energy Cycle.

You can't even pay for it individually on the PSN Vita Store - it has a price, but you can't purchase it.

• 2 weeks later...

Risk of Rain on PS Vita appears to have been completely delisted on the UK/EU PlayStation Store, @Incognito_D. I had a look yesterday and it's gone on the Vita Store.

Only the PS4 version is available on the UK/EU PlayStation Store.

Both of those are good to know, @ConAir and @PHIL_DADDY1.

OTHER TITLES

Recently, I picked up the following Cross-Buy games via the UK PlayStation Store on the web, and the PS4 and Vita versions were included:

- Deadbolt (PS4, PS Vita)

- Velocity 2X (PS4, PS Vita) + 2 DLC packs

- Volume (PS4, PS Vita)

Edited by DK33per
Adding titles to list
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, DK33per said:

Risk of Rain on PS Vita appears to have been completely delisted on the UK/EU PlayStation Store, @Incognito_D. I had a look yesterday and it's gone on the Vita Store.

OTHER TITLES

Recently, I picked up the following Cross-Buy games via the UK PlayStation Store on the web, and the PS4 and Vita versions were included:

- Volume (PS4, PS Vita)

Are you sure Risk of Rain is completely gone from PS Vita? I can still see it in the AUS/EU PlayStation Store (from the App) as being available on Vita. If you purchase on PS4/PS5 or App, it should go to your Download List on your Vita.

9 hours ago, DK33per said:

OTHER TITLES

- Volume (PS4, PS Vita)

Are you sure Risk of Rain is completely gone from PS Vita? I can still see it in the AUS/EU PlayStation Store (from the App) as being available on Vita. If you purchase on PS4/PS5 or App, it should go to your Download List on your Vita.

2 hours ago, PHIL_DADDY1 said:

It's 100% gone from the UK Vita store, because I turned it upside down and inside out but couldn't find this game anywhere :( .

That’s a shame ! I actually bought and played risk of rain on Vita a few months ago, bought it on PS4 and played it on Vita, I’m in Australia. 

There’s the tragic case of Stardew Valley on the Vita in the EU which it’s delisted and cross buy won’t work as others have mentioned. All cross buy games should still work unless they’re been delisted.