Jump to content

Can see why this game is loved so much


LukeTheGooner

Recommended Posts

up to chapter 5-2 right now so almost finished my first plathrough, this game is very fun and that's even with Ashley being a complete nightmare (she's usless) I'm so happy when she gets caught and I get to play on my own, it's always a pain being reunited with her :)

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Resident Evil 4 is a timeless nightmare that keeps on giving, I'm glad you're enjoying it. It's my most played game ever, I've logged about 500 playthroughs in total. Definitely a standout RE title, with RE2 being a close second.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, LukeTheGooner said:

up to chapter 5-2 right now so almost finished my first plathrough, this game is very fun and that's even with Ashley being a complete nightmare (she's usless) I'm so happy when she gets caught and I get to play on my own, it's always a pain being reunited with her :)

Yeah but at least you can zoom under her skirt with the sniper and she reacts to it. They cutted it out in the remake same as many jokes :( 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

19 minutes ago, Mr_Bandicoot93 said:

" OUH YOU PERVERT " and " Hey where are you lookin at " . One of the moments why I love those old generation games. There are things that gonna never be released today in this way sadly.

 

yeah sadly that kind of stuff would be cut out

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/20/2024 at 9:23 PM, Mr_Bandicoot93 said:

I’m glad you started with the original and not the remake. Many will not have the same opinion but for me nothings beats the original resident evil 4. It is in my opinion way better ( remake still fantastic of course especially Ada dlc was amazing ). Surely played the OG over 50 times at least on ps2,ps3 and ps4 together. Enjoy that masterpiece :) 

 

On 2/20/2024 at 10:49 PM, abhinandhan22 said:

OG is def better than remake and this is from someone who played it for the first time last year before the remake dropped. 

 

What are the chances that both remakes for a classic and iconic survival-horror game that released the same year turned out to not be as great as the original. You guessed it, Dead Space. Besides a few areas, the 2008 release of Dead Space is also better than its 2023 remake. (I haven't actually beaten RE4R, so besides knowing of some censorship and cut content, I can't yet concur with those sentiments for that remake.) Couldn't help but share the same view on not the same game but a similar one within the same genre, especially when that game's biggest inspiration is the one and only original Resident Evil 4 itself. 

Edited by EcoShifter
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, EcoShifter said:

 

 

What are the chances that both remakes for a classic and iconic survival-horror game that released the same year turned out to not be as great as the original. You guessed it, Dead Space. Besides a few areas, the 2008 release of Dead Space is also better than its 2023 remake. (I haven't actually beaten RE4R, so besides knowing of some censorship and cut content, I can't yet concur with those sentiments for that remake.) Couldn't help but share the same view on not the same game but a similar one within the same genre, especially when that game's biggest inspiration is the one and only original Resident Evil 4 itself. 

Yeah dead space I already forgot. I didn’t like what they did to the face of Nicole and almost the whole amazing soundtrack was missing or I was dumb I don’t know. Also the game was wayyyyy to dark. A perfect remake for me is for example Crash Bandicoot and Spyro. Let everything how it was just with better graphics. Don’t change missions or other stuff. On Spyro the best thing was you can choose between the remake soundtrack and the original. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
On 2/24/2024 at 5:24 AM, RedDevil757 said:

I've never been able to see why this game is so popular. I've tried it numerous times too but I just don't think it's very good 😕

 

do you like other Resident Evil games?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played the original RE4 for the first time not that long ago and had the exact same experience. Yeah it’s a bit clunky and outdated compared to modern games, but the atmosphere and experienced are pretty much unmatched. You can see why it is such a beloved classic and how much of an impact it would have had on the industry at the time it came out. I had a really fantastic time with it and enjoyed going for the trophies - all 12 of them or whatever lol. In fact my only gripe with the game really was the lack of a platinum!

 

I only just got a PS5 in February but I’m definitely planning to check out the next gen version of RE4 remake in the near future. It looks really fantastic and the updated controls and combat look amazing, and the fact it has a full trophy list this time around is too much to resist. I have a feeling though that no matter how great the new shiny version is, something about that original version will always stick with me. 

  • Like 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 2/24/2024 at 3:24 PM, RedDevil757 said:

I've never been able to see why this game is so popular. I've tried it numerous times too but I just don't think it's very good 😕

From a technical viewpoint? Or it's just not your cup of tea? Perhaps it's a bit over-rated? Or you just don't like the story?

Edited by TheDarkKratos
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Despite that always toxic dude in this post talking about "censorship" that no one really cares about, I can assure you RE4R is a fantastic game, and you'll enjoy it a lot.

 

Like, I wasn't able to imagine how they were going to improve RE4 considering it's a fairly modern game, but they exceeded my expectations.

 

I still have to finish it, but loved every single minute with the game, one of the best gameplays of the whole franchise, and a great way of playing a classic. Please try it if you haven't yet.

Edited by Jeanolt
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, LukeTheGooner said:

 

do you like other Resident Evil games?

I like the old ones. 1,2,3, code Veronica, remake and zero. The first half of 7 was real good too.

 

I really can't stand 4,5,6. The second half of 7 and most of Village. Wasn't fond of 2remake and skipped 3remake.

 

1 hour ago, TheDarkKratos said:

From a technical viewpoint? Or it's just not your cup of tea? Perhaps it's a bit over-rated? Or you just don't like the story?

Too much ammo. Too many copy and pasted enemies. There's no horror or tension or any survival. Always had enough ammo to take down a small army. 

 

I've purchased it 3 times too lol got it day one on GameCube. Pretty much the most disappointed I've ever been with a game

 

1 hour ago, Jeanolt said:

Despite that always toxic dude in this post talking about "censorship" that no one really cares about,

Censorship is never a good thing.

Edited by RedDevil757
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, RedDevil757 said:

Censorship is never a good thing.

They didn't censor anything lol, it's a "remake", which means made from the ground up, any change they made is a creative decision and there isn't anything that's lacking from the original (that actually adds something to the game). 

 

The original came out in 2004 and anything they change it's because the creators believe it's better that way. Or maybe, some moments would make it feel like a B-series comedy.. (like the part where Leon runs from a giant rock) and it's better without them in a serious remake.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, Jeanolt said:

Like, I wasn't able to imagine how they were going to improve RE4 considering it's a fairly modern game, but they exceeded my expectations.

 

I still have to finish it, but loved every single minute with the game, one of the best gameplays of the whole franchise, and a great way of playing a classic. Please try it if you haven't yet.

 

The remake is certainly worth a play, though I have to disagree with this - it didn't exceed my expectations, in some ways it actually didn't meet my expectations at all (especially since a handful of content was cut from the original release). The original Resident Evil 4 is still the most ideal way to play the game, in my opinion.

 

I'm baffled at the other comments in this thread regarding RE4 being unplayable/not a favoured game in the series considering it's arguably the best addition RE has ever seen, aging fine enough to still have its gameplay (mostly) hold up to this day. I understand that opinions will always differ, it's just surprising as I don't think I've ever seen any pushback on this title before.

 

All in all, the remake is worth a play, especially due to the quality of life improvements it introduces over to the original. But I would highly recommend those who are interested to play the original first as it's the better game.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, RedDevil757 said:

Censorship is never a good thing.

 

I wouldn't say "never". In some cases it's fair enough, especially if it isn't overdone and executed poorly (*cough unlike Chrono Cross cough*).

 

That said, there are more than enough instances in games (an overwhelming amount) where censorship is blatantly ridiculous... As well as does in-fact interfere/ruins a game's atmosphere, worldbuilding, tone, charm, and/or more. A lot of people do in-fact care about this. Most people also just don't know when and what content has been censored to begin with in their copies.

Gonna scrap some lines here...

Censorship is a huge deal—that's undebatable—and has been so at least as early as the SNES decade when Nintendo of America (as one example) especially were well-knowingly strict. It furthermore matters considering [censorship always] restricts artistic freedom, and when numerous (cool) developers themselves care enough to fight against whatever form of censorship on their own games behind the scenes internally. But yeah, collectively, censorship has been pretty damn egregious over the decades, but I digress.

 

Shoutout to the (comical) German release of Half-Life.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 hours ago, ddracarys said:

I'm baffled at the other comments in this thread regarding RE4 being unplayable/not a favoured game in the series considering it's arguably the best addition RE has ever seen, aging fine enough to still have its gameplay (mostly) hold up to this day. I understand that opinions will always differ, it's just surprising as I don't think I've ever seen any pushback on this title before.

For me it near enough killed my favourite game series. I loved the fix camera. It was like the old horror movies. What you can't see is more scary than what you can. I liked the lack of ammo and difficulty when playing the old games for your first playthrough. I was a huge fan of survival horror. Re4 is neither of those things. Maybe I'd have looked at it differently if it was a different series at all.

 

I was working for Game when this came out on GameCube and we had a lot come back and had to heavily discount it, to get rid of the stock. It's weird that the same game releases on PS2 and everyone suddenly loved it

  • Confused 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 3/13/2024 at 12:15 AM, RedDevil757 said:

I loved the fix camera. It was like the old horror movies. What you can't see is more scary than what you can.

 

I'll agree with you on one thing; having an option to switch between perspectives should be a series mainstay from now on, especially after Resident Evil 8 later introduced the option to switch between first and third person perspectives.

 

Regarding why the game didn't sell as well on Game Cube compared to PlayStation 2, I have no explanation for you either than I personally didn't own a Game Cube - sorry. :giggle:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...