What makes you a a Gamer / Hardcore Gamer?

xKiDooMx

Hey everyone, I am just curious...

Do you consider yourself a gamer (probably), if yes..Do you consider yourself a Hardcore Gamer?

I am confused on this topic, that's why I want to hear your opinions to see what others like me thing about this topic. For example, I do not consider a person who plays Candy Crush or Solitaire a Gamer, but what would make that person a gamer?...As I said, I am confused on this topic, and I want to hear your opinions.

I consider myself a Hardcore Gamer, but am I?...(creepy question). 

What makes a person a Gamer?

What makes a Gamer a Hardcore Gamer?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gamer

Wikipedia has a list of types of gamers. For me, I guess I would categorize myself as a hardcore gamer because most of my life is spent on playing video games and I try to master my games such as trophies or completing feats in game. What I think makes a person a gamer is if they have an interest in gaming. 

• Like 3

for me i consider myself a gamer... i play games i think i'll enjoy and will only buy them if i think i'll like it, i'd say a hardcore gamer is someone who has/plays alot of games they enjoy for hours upon hours and will finish those games fully but theres also a fine line between hardcore gamer and trophy whore... trophy whores will play to finish any game in all regions regardless of whether its rubbish, a kids game, a sports active game etc etc just to get a big haul to show off on the leaderboards- to me they are plastic gamers and sell outs

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

IMO...

Even a person who only plays on mobile is a "gamer". They're playing games! It's part of the "gaming industry".

IMO A hardcore gamer is someone who prefers their games to have some challenge, be it skill or intellectual challenge, or whatever. They typically deride motion controls because they are too inaccurate to allow them to learn or demonstrate a skill acquired in the game. They are contrasted with "casual" gamers who don't seek out a challenge, but find games appealing for other reasons.

• Like 1

I consider myself a "classic" or hardcore gamer. Gaming isn't just something that I casually do when I'm bored. It's a primary hobby that I partake in regularly. I'm pretty versitile in my tastes...I enjoy the simplicity of a 2D platformer to a high end big budget powerhouse like Mass Effect. I'll pretty much play anything because, well, I love gaming. :)

Edited by merciful84

Thank you everyone for your replies. You guys presented some interesting ideas.

But, from what I get...like someone say, I would go in the category of "trophy whore"...hmm..lol.

If you look at my profile, probably it doesn't reflect to that, but when I buy a game, besides seeing some reviews from multiple sources, I look at trophy guides. I see if the platinum of that game is still achievable, if it has trophies at all, and overall trophies information.

For example Heavenly Swords is one game that I really want to play (and that because I'm a God of War fan), but the fact that the game doesn't have trophies, it simply makes me not to buy it, and seriously it's £3 at game.co.uk...so yea.

I don't play a lot in multiplayers (after I platted the game)...and I usually don't play the game anymore after I platted it. However, GoW: Ascension Multiplayer, Minecraft, Journey are some of the games that I will probably never get bored of, games which I invested gigantic amounts of time...

I personally hate the term gamer.

I play games. I don't identify as a gamer tho.

I also watch movies, read comics, read books, write, work, eat, drink, fuck, sleep, laugh etc etc.

I dont identify myself by any single one of those things either - but the term gamer in particular is not a complimentary one in many circles

• Like 1

Thank you everyone for your replies. You guys presented some interesting ideas.

But, from what I get...like someone say, I would go in the category of "trophy whore"...hmm..lol.

If you look at my profile, probably it doesn't reflect to that, but when I buy a game, besides seeing some reviews from multiple sources, I look at trophy guides. I see if the platinum of that game is still achievable, if it has trophies at all, and overall trophies information.

For example Heavenly Swords is one game that I really want to play (and that because I'm a God of War fan), but the fact that the game doesn't have trophies, it simply makes me not to buy it, and seriously it's £3 at game.co.uk...so yea.

I don't play a lot in multiplayers (after I platted the game)...and I usually don't play the game anymore after I platted it. However, GoW: Ascension Multiplayer, Minecraft, Journey are some of the games that I will probably never get bored of, games which I invested gigantic amounts of time...

I don't take it that far but I do look up trophy information too as part of my research into a game. Its more to create a strategy to get as many trophies as I can get in one playthough rather than making an actual purchasing decision. I tend to use trophy guides as well when playing through games...no shame in that.

I don't take it that far but I do look up trophy information too as part of my research into a game. Its more to create a strategy to get as many trophies as I can get in one playthough rather than making an actual purchasing decision. I tend to use trophy guides as well when playing through games...no shame in that.

Same. I hate to do multiple playthoughts IF there is no reason for it, besides the collectibles in a games. Which some of them are insanely placed.

However, games that I'm a fan of like GoW , Diablo, etc...I do them without any guide at all.

For example just platted GoW 1 (on vita) without any guides. But that's just because I'm a fan of the franchise.

A hardcore gamer is one who is open minded to new games, and one who's collection doesn't just contain Call of Duty or GTA or sports games or at least that's all they play. Well known games like Minecraft also fit into that category, but it's not as common as the GTA or Call of Duty crowd. A hardcore gamer is not afraid of a challenge or they think of gaming as an art. Instead of spending all their time on online multiplayers, they'd seek to play the story mode on the highest difficulty, take the time to appreciate the story for what it is and think beyond the story. Being a trophy hunter is debatable for a hardcore gamer. If you hunt trophies just to hunt trophies to be #1 in the leaderboards, then you may not be a hardcore gamer if you just rush for the platinum, but if you have fun and immerse yourself into every game you play as you attempt to platinum it and you platinum games you have a passion for, then you may still be a hardcore gamer. Also, the biggest insult to hardcore gamers is if you buy games just to hoard up on your collection and never play them. Just because you have money doesn't make you a hardcore gamer, you buy as many games you can manage at one time to play them.

A hardcore gamer is one who is open minded to new games, and one who's collection doesn't just contain Call of Duty or GTA or sports games or at least that's all they play. Well known games like Minecraft also fit into that category, but it's not as common as the GTA or Call of Duty crowd. A hardcore gamer is not afraid of a challenge or they think of gaming as an art. Instead of spending all their time on online multiplayers, they'd seek to play the story mode on the highest difficulty, take the time to appreciate the story for what it is and think beyond the story. Being a trophy hunter is debatable for a hardcore gamer. If you hunt trophies just to hunt trophies to be #1 in the leaderboards, then you may not be a hardcore gamer if you just rush for the platinum, but if you have fun and immerse yourself into every game you play as you attempt to platinum it and you platinum games you have a passion for, then you may still be a hardcore gamer. Also, the biggest insult to hardcore gamers is if you buy games just to hoard up on your collection and never play them. Just because you have money doesn't make you a hardcore gamer, you buy as many games you can manage at one time to play them.

I think that this is a pretty good definition...but having a massive backlog eliminates you from being hardcore?!

But...but...how do you say "no" when you see a bunch of games you want going for dirt cheap for a limited time?

Edited by merciful84

To me a gamer is someone who plays video games not just because their bored.....infact I never try and play video games when i'm bored because I will usually not enjoy them as much since i'm not concentrating...

I think there are different types of gamers and it depends on how important video games are to them, some gamers just enjoy playing a few hours any chance they get, some (like me) have video games as their primary hobby, you have people who enjoy competitive gaming and others who enjoy vast single player experiences...another thing to look for is weither or not the person cares about or follows the industry, I for one love staying on track of the industry!

• Like 1

I really like and totally agree with all that you said. And the "Hardcore Gamer" described by you...totally defines me. So, at the end of the day I'm not a Trophy Whore...yeeey :)

Also a quick fyi to the OP, this is in the wrong section.

Off-topic would be more appropriate.

Initially I wanted to post it in the Off-Topic section, but I thought about the Off Topic section as something that is everything else but trophies/games/playstation. 

I think that this is a pretty good definition...but having a massive backlog eliminates you from being hardcore?!

But...but...how do you say "no" when you see a bunch of games you want going for dirt cheap for a limited time?

Well, I'm pretty sure he did not meant that (about having a lot of games).

I for example LOVE to have all my games "on record" on psnprofiles. That's why if you go on my profile page, you'll see that I have 140 (almost) games and only completed 30% of them. 

Edited by xKiDooMx