YouTube To Acquire Videogame-Streaming Service Twitch For $1 Billion

Goro

Google’s YouTube has reached a deal to buy Twitch, a popular videogame-streaming company, for more than $1 billion, according to sources familiar with the pact.

The deal, in an all-cash offer, is expected to be announced imminently, sources said. If completed the acquisition would be the most significant in the history of YouTube, which Google acquired in 2006 for $1.65 billion. The impending acquisition comes after longtime Google ad exec Susan Wojcicki was named CEO of YouTube earlier this year.

Reps for YouTube and Twitch declined to comment.

Source

Edited by Goro

It's ridiculous the amount of money companies are throwing around for social media these days. For the amount of money they spend, they could use it for something that actually benefits humanity, like making sure everyone has clean drinking water.

Couldn't agree with you more. It has me puzzled lol.

It's ridiculous the amount of money companies are throwing around for social media these days. For the amount of money they spend, they could use it for something that actually benefits humanity, like making sure everyone has clean drinking water.

Unfortunately, people in positions of power and wealth are almost always incredibly greedy. There are exceptions, but they're very few and far between. Anyway, that greed is generally what drives them to become wealthy in the first place. They don't care about bettering humanity, only themselves. If it was profitable to make sure everyone had food, water, and shelter, no one would ever go hungry or be homeless ever again, but it's not, so these will always be problems. It's sad, but that's how the world works, and it's all thanks to capitalism. In all honesty, communism is the best idea when it comes to an equal society, but it will never really become a reality, because of people's greed. Just looking at the established and past communist states it's apparent it doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

On topic, I'm betting the only reason Google suddenly wants Twitch is because of the built in streaming functions of the new systems. They're really trying to corner the market on user generated content in every way they can. The only odd thing will be how licensing will work. Youtube content creators get in trouble for using copyrighted material all the time, especially when it comes to games. That's literally all Twitch is, so I'm wondering how that's going to affect the service, for those that are "partners" and make money from their streams. I imagine that only certain games will be stream-able, or possibly, it will turn into only console games. At least for those that want to make ad money. I'm sure you'll always be able to stream any game, as long as only Google is making money from the ads.

I'm mixed on this rumor.  From a business standpoint, it is a great move for Google because they can incorporate their YouTube with Twitch live streaming service.  The gaming community is a gold mine in generating revenue from ads and viewership.  Sure people might argue that Google should spend their money more on humanitarian activities, they are a tech company and they doing their job in their field.  From a live caster perspective, any merger/acquirement of a company would change some of their infrastructure and policies.  In addition, it might push out less known casters and leaving a smaller group of well-known casters in the short term. If this acquirement occurs, you got to wait awhile to determine whether it was benefit for both parties.  

Where were all the cries of woe and greed when Sony bought Gaikai for $380 million? Surely Sony could've fed some kids for that amount of money so how can any of you support the PlayStation brand after that?

On topic, this is good for Twitch in my opinion. Google is one of the biggest companies in the world so I think they'll be able to support users in a positive manner. Sure they had a misstep with YouTube with the copyright mishaps, but other than that I think YouTube is the best it has ever been and I expect Twitch will just get better too. 

Parker

Unfortunately, people in positions of power and wealth are almost always incredibly greedy. There are exceptions, but they're very few and far between. Anyway, that greed is generally what drives them to become wealthy in the first place. They don't care about bettering humanity, only themselves. If it was profitable to make sure everyone had food, water, and shelter, no one would ever go hungry or be homeless ever again, but it's not, so these will always be problems. It's sad, but that's how the world works, and it's all thanks to capitalism. In all honesty, communism is the best idea when it comes to an equal society, but it will never really become a reality, because of people's greed. Just looking at the established and past communist states it's apparent it doesn't work the way it's supposed to.

I appreciate the good will of sharing and all though its a little out of context here. Accumulate all the money in the world and divide it equally over 7 billion people and we would all be starving like people in third world countries. When you put it like that communism doesn't seem that appealing anymore. Its not just influencial people who are greedy, the problem is we are all hypocrites.

This takeover is a good move on Google's end, a billion dollars is a lot of money but its a nice addition to Youtube's user market

I appreciate the good will of sharing and all though its a little out of context here. Accumulate all the money in the world and divide it equally over 7 billion people and we would all be starving like people in third world countries. When you put it like that communism doesn't seem that appealing anymore. Its not just influencial people who are greedy, the problem is we are all hypocrites.

This takeover is a good move on Google's end, a billion dollars is a lot of money but its a nice addition to Youtube's user market

Communism isn't supposed to have a money system. So, that problem wouldn't exist.

Communism is supposed to be a classless, moneyless, stateless society where everyone does a job and just gets the things they need for free because nothing is really owned by any one person. Everything is shared. Current and past communist countries aren't really communist, certain people just used communist ideals to rise to power.

It's not their faults.  If we don't feed the trolls, the trolls will eventually disappear.  If people don't do drugs, the drug dealers would be out of business.  If we all stop watching youtube, youtube would eventually disappear.   There are a lot that we all can do to help humanity.  For example, be nicer to other drivers sharing our roads, don't feed the trolls, don't do drugs, etc.