Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga gets a PSN release today

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/05/20/shin-megami-tensei-digital-devil-saga-gets-a-psn-release-today/

digitaldevilsaga-569921-600x450.jpeg

Atlus is releasing another PS2 classic on PSN today, this time Shin Megami Tensei: Digital Devil Saga. The game will cost a mere $9.99.

On the back of the box:

“Enter the world of the Junkyard, where rival tribes fight an endless war vying for supremacy and the right to ascend to Nirvana. Changed forever by mystrious light, Serph and his comrades now have the power to change into powerful demons… But with that power comes a price – an insatiable hunger to devour their enemies.”

Digital Devil Saga joins PSN along with the past Atlus titles that got released: Devil Summoner: Raidou Kuzunoha vs the Soulless ArmyGrowlanser: Heritage of War and  Shin Megami Tensei: Persona 3 FES. So if you are  a SEGA fan that has never played a Atlus title, I suggest you start with Persona 3 FES. It is a really good game and totally worth the $9.99 asking price.

It's pretty cool seeing all these Atlus games getting PSN rereleases.

• Like 1

Never played this. Is it any good? And would you recommend it?

It's terrific.  If you have ever played Nocturne, you'll feel right at home.... although DDS gives you more in the way of flexibility when it comes to character builds and the like.  And if you're into "uber challenging extra bosses", you've got a couple of real humdingers to tangle with here.

Only two reasons why I won't spend the $10 on this.  I have way too much of a backlog to play this again.... and because I still have my PS2 sitting neatly in the closet along with my copies of both DDS1 and DDS2 and my save cartridge.

Nice they are bringing  a million of these oldschools back, but already have it. Not gonna shell out some 9.99 for something already owning. How about we get a whole new "next-generation" SMT eh? I mean that is what the original purpose of the PS4 is for right?

i remember seen this game way back in the 6th generation era, never bother to buy / play it, don't get wrong i heard it's actually one of the good ps2 games, it's just that i used to hate turn based RPG's as i really suck at them back then, i'm more of an action type RPG lover even today, but now i play turn base ones too, though FF12 is the last one i beat so far.

• 2 years later...

It's been two years since this post, which I think helps make the point!  Where is a new Megami Tensei???   Turn based jrpg's are what got me hooked on consoles.  I'll still always love playing games like Civilization or Total war on the PC, but it's games like the Shin Megami's and FF's that kept me coming back to console.  Persona 5 is coming out soon, and there have been a few Atelier's, but it is long overdue for another Megami Tensei in the vein of Digital Devil/Devil Summoner/Raidou on the PS4...it seems so much of the new Megami is coming out for the DS/3DS and, if the rumours are true, also for the Switch!

Morpheus__777.png

I was thinking about this recently. ATLUS was so great in the PS2 era, but left their franchises there, it seems. They certainly had success on the PS3 (Catherine, publishing Demon's Souls in NA, etc.).

I think that, like many, they got lred to handhelds, to their detriment (at least in the West).

On 5/20/2014 at 8:00 PM, xZoneHunter said:

They really should add trophies on ps2 & ps1 classics. I know it's wrong but the only thing holding me back to play this gem is the fact that i won't earn trophies by playing it...

Me too, especially with old games I already finished on their original consoles but liked a lot and would play again