Retron 5 Discussion (It Finally Has A Release Date!)

Parker

As someone who loves retro gaming the Retron 5 is intriguing. After having been delayed very close to release and then getting a $40 price increase, we finally have a release date for the system and it is tomorrow, May 22nd, 2014. 

Hyperkin will start shipping the Retron 5 console tomorrow, May 22, for $140 USD.

The Retron 5 is a retro games console that uses HDMI output to display games from 10 old-school systems: NES, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Famicom, Game Boy, Game Boy Color, Game Boy Advance and Master System (though this requires an additional converter). The Retron 5 features a menu system with video settings, letting users decide to show scanlines, for example, with a maximum resolution output of 720p.

Along with a wireless Bluetooth controller, the Retron 5 includes controller ports for the retro consoles, so players can plug in an NES or Genesis controller. Hyperkin also promises save and load states for each game plus screenshot capture and Game Genie functionality with the Retron 5. Last but not least, Hyperkin says the Retron 5 supports PAL and NTSC versions of games.

The Retron 5 isn't the only retro console on the block, though, as Analogue Interactive is taking pre-orders for its Analogue NT, which plays NES and Famicom games. The Analogue NT costs $500 USD.

Source: IGN  

So, is anyone else looking forward to this console? If so, what color do you plan on purchasing?

Black

hyperkin-retron-5.jpg

Or Gray

Super-Retron-5.jpg

I'm getting the black one personally. I like how the gray looks a little like the SNES (which I assume is what they were going for) but it looks a little cheap and all my other consoles are black so it will fit in better. 

For those that don't know what the Retron 5 can do, it plays most of the Nintendo and Sega games from the 8 and 16-bit era. It can plays cartridges from the NES, Famicom, SNES, Super Famicom, Genesis, Mega Drive, Game Boy, Game Boy Color and Game Boy Advance. It connects via an HDMI cable so you can play all your retro games on your new television without it looking like garbage. You can also hook up your original controllers to the system so you aren't stuck with the Retron 5 controller which looks pretty awful to me. 

As long as the reviews are decent and there isn't a bunch of input lag, I'll be picking one up as soon as possible. 

Parker

Cool.  Been wondering when this would release.  So I guess I'd get the $100 price tag over the $140 through Amazon's preorder price thing? Cause that would be awesome.

Also I'm getting Black as well.  

Hooking this up instead of my SNES, because there's no way I'm unhooking my Genesis/CD, and my SNES cart batteries have a bad habit of dying quite often.

Edited by Lilith

Thanks for the post Parker! (as always, for all retro and alike ask Mr Parker  B) )

I was this close in posting another topic about Retron 5 *thanks search engine.

With that in mind, Am glad this machine is seeing the dawn of light.

I couldn't even be more happier that it's 10-in-1  :yay: 

In which you will here with those NES days.

I'll be getting the Black Edition too.

The Grey one is eye catching due to its Super famicom looks.

But like you've said, lets try to keep things much organize and classy.

As all my consoles in the entertainment area are in BLACK.

Really appreciate the post, Parker!  B)  :pimp: 

Cheers!

-Razgriz

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Ugh...8 bit classics is STILL processing my order, and even if I had ordered at the actual Hyperkin site, that's STILL locking me out with their lame "user requires moderation" bs.  Who DOES that, especially for weeks on end? I want my Retron 5 already.  Sigh.