PlayStation 4 Is Already Profitable For Sony

Parker

This is awesome news for Sony. If I recall correctly it took until 2010 or so for the PS3 to become profitable (or what that the PlayStation brand as a whole?) so for a company that is in as much financial trouble as Sony, it is great to have the most popular console on the market be profitable instead of selling at a loss.

Console manufacturers often sell hardware at a loss with the plan to make up for that loss with software sales. But that’s not the case with the PlayStation 4. Sony says its new console is already being sold at a profit.

Sony President and CEO Kaz Hirai said at a corporate strategy meeting this week that the PS4 launch has been “hugely successful,” but notes Sony needs to continue growing the install base -- which is currently around 7 million.

“From a profitability perspective, PS4 is also already contributing profit on a hardware unit basis, establishing a very different business framework from that of previous platform businesses," Hirai said.

He also notes that approximately half of PS4 users are subscribed to PlayStation Plus

Source: IGN

Hopefully this will help Sony's finances, it sucks to see such a great compant struggle. 

Parker

Wow, I didn't see this coming! It didn't take as long as it usually does, and that is nothing but great news. The console is selling really good and it being profitable means the investment is worth the money, so any developer who was reluctant to work with the PS4 (if there was any) will have to consider giving it a try, that is, more games for us, and those who are already working on it will aim for more ambitious projects, so the games' quality and variety should increase as well :D

• Like 2

I find it amusing that the most successful console's company is having financial difficulty. I know it's because of their other subsidiaries, but it's still amusing. Anyway, this is great news for Sony. Hopefully they can keep it up.

This is so good to hear :) it would be so Amazing if the Vita had the same impact. Ps4 is awesome and I knew that the first time I saw it.

Hopefully they just gain and gain. Same for other companies and developers. I would love to see every single one achieving their goal, after all we just gain with this. Even if they're not for me

• Like 1

This is so good to hear :) it would be so Amazing if the Vita had the same impact. Ps4 is awesome and I knew that the first time I saw it.

Hopefully they just gain and gain. Same for other companies and developers. I would love to see every single one achieving their goal, after all we just gain with this. Even if they're not for me

If every company profited and everyone was a success the world wouldnt work

You also have to keep in mind that the cost of the PS4 is cheaper than what Sony is selling for.  Of course, they're going to make a profit for each system sold, unlike last gen, when it took Sony a few years for the PS3 to be profitable.

• Like 1

The main difference this time is the lack of new innovative hardware. for the PS3 the Cell Processor was custom built and Sony was pushing new Blu-ray technology. The PS2 was at the forefront of DVD technology. 

With the PS4 the CPU, GPU, are just computer components. Wifi, Bluetooth, Blu-Ray etc, etc, these technologies have already existed for some time and are therefore cheaper to produce. This console gen is marked mainly by changes in the UI, OS and connectivity. So this is great news. I don't even care about seeing a price drop soon, but a profitable console means more money can be put into things like PSN, Playstation Now and development of more first party titles.  

If every company profited and everyone was a success the world wouldnt work

You think so? Well, I think there's enough market for all current companies. Microsoft and Xbox may not be for me but I think competition and actually having a share of the market is good for the overall package l.

Kaz Hirai most recently also stated he thinks the PS4 will become more profitable than the PS2 (not to be confused with selling more consoles). They believe this is possible because of things such as PS+, digital sales, already-profitable hardware, amongst other features brought to the world of PlayStation. Really hope PS4 stays as strong as it has been, because Sony once ruled the gaming world with the release of PS2, and they can do it again!

Not forging their own way with unique hardware seems to be the key.  Sony have always tended to go against the grain, Mini-disc, UMDs the Cell chips and it's generally cost them.  Blu-Ray is their only big win in recent years.

Using common components has got to have kept dev costs down.  I'm sure game developers are grateful as well, developing and porting to the the Cell chip based architecture was reportedly a total nightmare.  Hence any of the PS3 releases on PS4 should be viewed as an achievement if anything.