Your Opinion On Sonic Generations

Sonic2598

The game is fantastic. It's the best Sonic game they've made since Adventure 2 on the Dreamcast and it has me really excited for some more Sonic games. It seems Sega has seen what the fans really want and hopefully they will continue to deliver the goods. I have a feeling Sonic the Hedgehog 4: Episode 2 is going to be fantastic as well.

Parker

I haven't had the luck to play/own this game, but thank goodness for Youtube walkthoughs.

From the beginning it took what I love most about the sonic series: the sense of speed, clever platforming, and multiple paths.

Then the game started its Post DC/PS2 era and the game seemed to take a turn downhill imho, no longer was Sonic running or jumping but turning into rockets or spikes that could climb walls, not to say this is a bad game, just that it seems to be a very strange turn.

Other than that a great game and one heck of a 20th anniversary, and another thing I <3 about this game or any Sonic game really is... DAT MUSIC. :yay: Sonic ALWAYS has the best music (even if his games aren't the best. :unsure:)

Slight Spoilers sorry.

also MORE BOSSES Y U ONLY GIVE ME 3 SEGA??!

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 6 months later...

It's a great celebration game (way better than 2006's milestone), though my issue is with the controls, which seem to respond only half a second after input.

The 3DS version though, makes them respond immediately after input. Plus, the final boss was way easier in it.

But remember that SEGA was creating the game and the fans of Sonic said they wanted the game fast so they speed up the process of creating the game and then it turned out how it went.

Also I can say was a good Sonic game, last Sonic game I played that was good as Sonic Heroes in my PS2 times (Now I want to play it. Damn you brother for takint the PS with you!!!!!!!!! :angry:  :angry:  :angry: )

• 2 months later...

I love how the game acknowledged Chemical Plant's rising water and how much of a nightmare it was as kids, when Tails pointed out that the "pink water" made him nervous.

And that there's grapes right next to Knuckles at the Sky Sanctuary gate, referencing Sonic & Knuckles' manual that says he loves grapes...at least, I think it's that manual, or Sonic 3. I forget.

• 3 years later...

As a long fan of the Sonic The Hedgehog series, I love this game. I first got it as a birthday present when I was in the 5th grade on my XBOX360. I loved this game. However, I stopped playing my XBOX because there were no other games that I wanted for it. So, just recently I bought this game again for my 3DS. I plan on buying this game later on for my PS3.

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 9 months later...

I've somehow ended up playing a lot of Sonic games recently, even though it was never a favorite series of mine. I mean they're fun, just not among the best games in my opinion.

I'd say this game is better than Sonic Forces, not quite as good as Sonic Mania (I played the other two games on Switch).

• Like 1

• 2 years later...

I honestly thought it was great. Easily one of the best 3D Sonic from the 2010's, as well as my personal favorite. Revisiting all the classic stages remixed was so much fun.

If there's anything I didn't like about the game, it's that they'd really should've added some of the other classic levels as a DLC or such. They don't need a story mode or anything. Just being able to play them would've been enough.

Edited by MrGarland
  • Like 3

• 3 months later...

Everything is great up until the last set of levels, barring Rooftop Run. Crisis City is just disinteresting, and Planet Wisp is gimmicky and mind-numbingly long.

The last two bosses are garbage (especially the final boss), the last part of Silver's fight is BS, the challenges feel tacked on and a few of them just aren't fun whatsoever.

Also, I hope they fired whoever decided it was a good idea for the "start over" option to take away lives because it makes getting certain trophies miserable. lmao

Other than that I enjoyed the game quite a bit, it just seems to fall a tad short when it comes to the endgame and side content sadly.

Edited by Zephrese
  • Like 2

• 1 month later...

I never liked the game. I got it when I broke my left collar bone so I played the entire game one handed and I still managed to finish the entire thing in 6 hours, if that doesn’t show how easy this game is then idk what will. My own hype probably ran away with me but I was a kid, can’t help it. I was expecting more Unleashed gameplay and I didn’t get it. 

You go from Unleashed that had so much content in it as well as looking gorgeous to Colors that had many cutscenes and lots of fun levels to Generations where it looked like they gave up after Chemical Plant. There’s hardly any cutscenes, Classic Tails appears out of nowhere and every level is so disjointed. There’s no commentary or interactions with the Zones themselves after the second. Not to mention that there’s 9 levels and 4 of them are “Urban” themed. Yes they may all look different but for the love of god that’s awful variety. This was an anniversary type game and there’s 10 cutscenes? 06 was more of a milestone than this. That was a grand adventure. This is level hubs on a white background. They used to try yknow, didn’t always succeed, but they tried in the 00s.

The level design is bland and too easy. It doesn’t even feel fast. I don’t know what they did but Unleashed felt fast and the game was challenging too, this game feels like they had their entire budget cut. Sky Sanctuary and City Escape for example look ugly; whereas Speed Highway and the early sections of Planet Wisp look lovely. 

You’d probably have to insult the director of the game to get anything less than a B rank in Generations. You can get S ranks without fail by not even trying. It’s a joke. People say this is a game that has the most purely Sonic levels. No??? Did you play Colors? That has like 40 levels and this has 18, which a bunch of crap side missions that are mostly awful, no effort or buggy mirrors. Anything to do with Sonic’s friends are easily the worst side missions. How fitting?

There are way too many 2D sections for Modern Sonic, having some of it is fine but when you have Classic Sonic’s whole gimmick being that it’s 2D, having Modern Sonic have most of the same thing is a bit redundant. Speaking of which, I know there’s more of 3D Sonic games than 2D but after the Egg Robo it just feels like Classic Sonic is thrown to the wayside, not sure what they could have done to circumvent that. 

The game falls apart near the end anyway. The 2D sections of Crisis City modern are by far the worst part about it, Rooftop Run is too short and Planet Wisp is monotonous and bland, seeing as how it mostly takes place in Act 4(?) tower from Colors. It’s 90% in 2D for Modern Sonic??? But the thing is I enjoy that level now because it’s a challenge, unlike the rest of the game. 

The final boss is awful, it’s like they went out of their way to harken back to old Sonic games by having a big monster be the boss, play horribly and never having the side characters shut up. I will forever never have this game 100%, I got it as a gift on Steam and own it on 360, I am not putting myself through the trouble of defeating the Time Eater without being hit. Music is good though. 

Not to mention how BUGGY this game is. I can, without fail, break the game every time in Chemical Plant Modern by going through the wall after the water slide. The camera frequently gets stuck in places it shouldn’t; I’ll fall through the floor; the homing attack won’t, yknow, home in on the energy and all the bosses break on occasion.

It’s fun to play on occasion but I’ll just use the framework on Steam to use the Unleashed mods x

On 28/04/2022 at 8:51 PM, Zephrese said:

Also, I hope they fired whoever decided it was a good idea for the "start over" option to take away lives because it makes getting certain trophies miserable. lmao

What, you mean like how in every Sonic game ever you lose a life after you restart??? You wanna make the game even easier??? Just go buy Lives in the store, they hand out points like candy. 

9 hours ago, Lianco said:

What, you mean like how in every Sonic game ever you lose a life after you restart??? You wanna make the game even easier??? Just go buy Lives in the store, they hand out points like candy. 

Ah, yes, because leaving and returning to a level by going through multiple loading screens is so challenging and anything other than absolutely archaic and tedious design.

And I'm aware that every Sonic game does that, but that wasn't my point. It doesn't make the game more challenging in the slightest, just wastes my time.

Edited by Zephrese

On 11/06/2022 at 7:36 PM, Zephrese said:

Ah, yes, because leaving and returning to a level by going through multiple loading screens is so challenging and anything other than absolutely archaic and tedious design.

And I'm aware that every Sonic game does that, but that wasn't my point. It doesn't make the game more challenging in the slightest, just wastes my time.

The game takes 2 seconds to load, its not that much of an issue. As I said, the game is easy enough, you take out lives and there is literally 0 challenge in this game at all; and with all the points the game gives you, you can stack 99 lives easy. What needs to be fixed is the timer not going back to what it was when you got to a checkpoint which is something theyve been doing since Sonic Colors for some reason. 

This has next to nothing to do with difficulty or lack thereof, just a basic concept that most games have figured out by now and by the time this one came out.

Not sure why you're so persistent on it making the game "easier" when it only does so in the most superficial of ways that removes pointless tedium.

It's not hard to get lives, and it's not hard to leave and return to a level if one misses something. The problem is that I shouldn't have to in a game released in 2011.

And I never said they should've gotten rid of lives altogether either, just that restarting a level shouldn't require any to be taken away.

Edited by Zephrese