PS3 is dead; what now?

lumphy101

Just today I booted up my PS3 for it to keep dying. This has happened before and I was allowing it to live on borrowed time, but today was it's last. The funeral is tomorrow. What should I do next? I haven't synched data in about a month now, but I removed the hard drive so that should be fine. Any cost effective PS3 slims? Or should I upgrade to a PS4? Perhaps I get an XBOX 360 for a while before buying a PS4? Tell me what I should do. And by the way, I do have a Vita but that can only go for so long.

That hard drive doesn't really do you any good. If you try to put it another PS3, it will automatically re-format the drive before it allows you to boot. If you haven't done a full system backup, then all that data is gone except for trophy data or any saved data that you might have uploaded to the cloud. Sad day my friend I feel your pain. Twice, I had 60GB machines fail on me that resulted in complete losses of data. These days I don't mess around. I have a 500GB internal HDD in my slim but I have a backup 320GB HDD that has my Slim data restored (meaning it's plug'n'play backup for my Slim) as well as TWO 1TB external HD's. One is a desktop drive (1TB of FAT32 lol) that I use the "Backup Utility" function for and the other is a portable drive (not formatted to FAT32) and I copy the backup files from the external to that one as an exta backup. I have another 160GB external HD that I use just for save data (PS3 and internal memory cards). I manually copy all save data from the PS3 to that drive and then I copy it from the 160GB external to the 500GB internal HDD that I have on my laptop. I got backups of backups bro! :jaymon:

I'd highly recommend trying to find a cheap PS3 to replace. These are great machines and you'll probably find yourself missing it in the future. :) Good luck kimosabe. If you want the latest console, definitely get a PS4. The XBone is a pos.

Edited by RedEye420

I know that feel, my PS3 died a month ago and i needed to get a new one. I picked up a super slim PS3 and discovered the hard way about the HDD not transferring. I also discovered that if you get a 12 gig super slim, you have to buy a mounting bracket to put in a HDD.

I'd definitely pick up a new PS3 though. You wouldn't want all of your games to go to waste, and PS3s are pretty cheap now too. As for which one to get, the super slim is quiet, but it runs a bit hot. If you have the option, I'd say pick up the original slim PS3. If not, the super slim works fine, you just have to keep it in an open space and keep it in a cool room.

• Like 2

Buy a preowned 12gb slim for cheap and buy a hard drive bracket to because the 12gb doesn't come with one.

I bought a 12gb slim new for a decent price and 1TB hard drive, works like a charm. 

Buying a 360 isn't very cost effective assuming you want to go online with it. 

And you already have PS+ so I'd say stick with playstation and buy a preowned 12GB slim and put your hard drive in it. ;)

This is assuming you're on a budget, if you're not, buy a new ps3 slim or ps4 lol. 

Get a new PS3 if you still have games you want to play.

Get a PS4 if you want to play Infamous, Killzone, and a bunch of indie games.

Get an Xbox 360 if you want to play Halo, Gears, and Forza.

I assume you already have a large collection of games on PS3, so I'd just buy a new one. Unless you don't want to play any of those games again.

• Like 1

I'd say buy a PS3. PS3 games are still coming out and I assume you have a backlog to finish up. 

OR

Sell all your PS3 games and upgrade to a PS4. Order 1886, Batman Arkham Knight, Infamous Second Son, are all great games (we can all agree this is a safe assumption) you'll be able to purchase before the year is over. Plus, I'm sure E3 will have a few PS4 surprises that will be coming in the near future! And let's not forget about PS Now...

PS: Yes, I know second son is already out, but I've played it at a friend's house and I think it is a must have for PS4 owners IMO!

Edited by Beyondthegrave07

I say go Ps4 if you have the brass or simply replace your Ps3 if you still want to enjoy it for just a bit longer.

Pawn shop in my town are selling Ps3's for $150 with multiple controllers its a buyers market if only I waited a few months before replacing my old Ps3 I could've swiped them controllers oh well.

It's topics like this that make PC gamers feel uber superior to console gamers.  If they have a video card issue, do you think a PC gamer is just going to throw out the PC?  You do know that the issue the PS3 has with GPU and CPU separating from the motherboard has been happening to PCs for ages, right?  

Yea, screw the information age anyway.  Wouldn't want to educate yourself and learn something new...nooooooooo.  That would take...you know...effort and work.  God forbid.....

Don't go to the dark side....... Stay away from Microsoft....... come back to the light.......

It's topics like this that make PC gamers feel uber superior to console gamers.  If they have a video card issue, do you think a PC gamer is just going to throw out the PC?  You do know that the issue the PS3 has with GPU and CPU separating from the motherboard has been happening to PCs for ages, right?  

Yea, screw the information age anyway.  Wouldn't want to educate yourself and learn something new...nooooooooo.  That would take...you know...effort and work.  God forbid.....

lol..umm.. i build computer's for a living and never once had a cpu seperate from the motherboard. LOL..... Hold on while i quit laughing....  

So anyway, if some idiot wants to feel superior he has a computer that keeps breaking down... I feel sorry for him. 

Also to get a good quality gaming pc it'll cost you 10x times the cost of a ps3. Ya know your post actually was quite stupid. Used PS3, 100 bucks or less. New PS3, depending on bundle 150-300. Or go for the 12 gig system and buy your own HD = 300 bucks roughly. State of the art PC to play most games at highest fps and no lag = 2,000 dollars. 

Now if you had a cpu or gpu fall off of a 2 grand system, dude you better give up gaming and go back to playing barbies. Cause obviously said person don't know anything about building a computer.

OP, what you should do is get a 12 gig system, unless there's like a new bundle that you really must have. Then go buy a western digital Hd. This one, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xwd7500bpvt&_nkw=wd7500bpvt&_sacat=0&_from=R40 

If for some reason that link don't work it's a Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue Mobile Hard Drive - 750GB, 2.5", 5400RPM, 8MB, SATA  Run you about 60-80 bucks on ebay. Make sure you get a new one. 

Don't go to the dark side....... Stay away from Microsoft....... come back to the light.......

lol..umm.. i build computer's for a living and never once had a cpu seperate from the motherboard. LOL..... Hold on while i quit laughing....  

So anyway, if some idiot wants to feel superior he has a computer that keeps breaking down... I feel sorry for him. 

Also to get a good quality gaming pc it'll cost you 10x times the cost of a ps3. Ya know your post actually was quite stupid. Used PS3, 100 bucks or less. New PS3, depending on bundle 150-300. Or go for the 12 gig system and buy your own HD = 300 bucks roughly. State of the art PC to play most games at highest fps and no lag = 2,000 dollars. 

Now if you had a cpu or gpu fall off of a 2 grand system, dude you better give up gaming and go back to playing barbies. Cause obviously said person don't know anything about building a computer.

OP, what you should do is get a 12 gig system, unless there's like a new bundle that you really must have. Then go buy a western digital Hd. This one, http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_trksid=p2053587.m570.l1313.TR2.TRC1.A0.H0.Xwd7500bpvt&_nkw=wd7500bpvt&_sacat=0&_from=R40

If for some reason that link don't work it's a Western Digital WD7500BPVT Scorpio Blue Mobile Hard Drive - 750GB, 2.5", 5400RPM, 8MB, SATA  Run you about 60-80 bucks on ebay. Make sure you get a new one. 

This post is bad and you should feel bad.

The CPU is connected to the motherboard yes, but it can be removed and replaced like any other component, that was the point that PRARPIN was trying to make. And no a high end PC does not cost $2,000 at all, my PC cost me around £600 ($1,000) to build and it can run pretty much anything I throw at it maxed out. I can easily run Watch Dogs on High and get 60 FPS solid at 1080p, which is much better than what the PS4 is outputting the game at.

Well, for future references, if you ever want to keep your PS3 for a while like I have, you need to place it in a bright lit area, clean the dust off once every two weeks, keep it in a medium temperature room, and don't smoke.

Myth. Bright lit room? Umm why? Most home theater set up's are in dark rooms usually with no windows and last years and years and years. I wanna know where that myth came from so i can laugh at it. I have 28 years experience building home theater set ups. Not once have they went down due to "no sunlight" lol... My ps3 get's zero sunlight and still running after 1 1/2 years. 

Dust, yes it needs to be cleaned off, front, back and sides. You need a can of air and a Micro fiber cloth. Cleaning schedule varies due to amount of ppl in your room. If alot of ppl are in your room i'd do it atleast every 2-3 days. Just you, could go 1-2 weeks possibly.

Smoking, another myth. Ever built a nice home theater system for the richer folk that constantly smoke cigars and the whole room reeks of cigars? No. Ok. It all still works. Infact in my time as a master electrician i have never seen anything fail due to smoking. Infact i smoke around my pretty white ps3 non stop, 2 packs a day. It's a little yellow on the sides where the material is of a different make but that's it. Nothing a light bleaching wouldn't fix. 

Here is something else though. If your ps3's fan get's up in high rpm's alot that means it's getting overheated. You need to go buy a cheap 5-10 dollar fan and place it caddie corner of the ps3 so the fan is not blowing directly into the unit, it needs to be hitting the side of the back of it so it's helping push out the air but not directly affecting it. 

This post is bad and you should feel bad.

The CPU is connected to the motherboard yes, but it can be removed and replaced like any other component, that was the point that PRARPIN was trying to make. And no a high end PC does not cost $2,000 at all, my PC cost me around £600 ($1,000) to build and it can run pretty much anything I throw at it maxed out. I can easily run Watch Dogs on High and get 60 FPS solid at 1080p, which is much better than what the PS4 is outputting the game at.

No he said the problem with the ps3 seperating is the same thing the pc has been doing for ages. Simply taking it off and putting it on is different from Seperating. If he was indicating that the pc can be simply taken off and put back on then the post has no relevance to the ps3's issues. 

Watch dogs on high? Urm, isn't max settings on most games Very high or ultra? So again, heh. Not for sure why i should feel bad as i build computers for a living and know what i'm talking about and son i don't believe you one bit where you spent 1 grand on a pc and can run anything. I know what things cost and i know computer components. You built it used if anything. 

So let's call your bs. http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=12896&game=Watch%20Dogs&title=Watch%20Dogs%20Nvidia%20GTX%20650%202GB%20Benchmarks

Low end 100 dollar graphics card. Heh

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=12863&game=Watch%20Dogs&title=Watch%20Dogs%20Benchmarks%20AMD%20Radeon%20HD%206670

Low end 100 dollar graphics cards. Heh

http://www.game-debate.com/news/?news=12880&game=Watch%20Dogs&title=Watch%20Dogs%20Benchmarks%20GeForce%20GTX%20670

400 dollar High end graphics card.That's with an intel i5 processor. Still can't get to High settings with 60 fps. That processor runs 300 bucks. So that's 700 dollars, Not considering sound, case, memory that you need at minimum 6 gigs for high settings more than that. Then cooling for the cpu itself. 

1,000 eh at 60 fps? lololol. Go away. Because i know for 100% certainty a 2 grand system requires a water cooling system. aka liquid cooling. 

Edit: Wouldn't want you to say my post is bad because i left out the Sata HDD that you would for sure would want due to faster speeds and less hassle about defraging your system. More time to play when you don't have to worry about defragging and slow downs. Which you won't find a high capacity sata drive for under 300 dollars. /giggle. 

Oh crude another edit. Here http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2014-watch-dogs-face-off

Scroll down to the 3rd paragraph where they state something special about Watch dogs. Man, you are not a very good liar. 

Edited by TalynnStrike