PS3 is dead; what now?

lumphy101

If you've still got a heap of PS3 games that you know you will play in the future (either PS+ or physical copies), I would definitely buy another PS3. You may be able to contact Sony for a replacement, otherwise you can buy them for around $250 in most places now anyway (I know you can in Australia, anyway).

If not, I would just buy a PS4. Most of the new games released now are cross-fen anyway so you're not missing out on many new 'PS3 exclusives'.

thats a shame dude... the hdd is useless now unless you already upgraded it but its always handy to have a spare, also you typed that you didnt sync anythin for abit?... if you didnt have a constant internet connection goin then anythin you got may have been lost...

as for the bright room post... lol make sure to keep ur system well watered durin the day

its a well known fact that light sources and natural sunlight can damage most materials given enough exposure especially plastic... not only addin to heat damage but subtle stress fracture damage and slight remoldin of surface materials is the risk so a slightly darkened room and/or well vented area underneath a desk is the best option...

Derp

Usually, I don't respond to any animal lower in intelligence than my German shepherd, and I'm sure I'll regret doing it this time, however, here it goes...

Where in my post did I say I was a PC gamer?  Nowhere.  Where in my post did I say that when you build a brand new computer that CPUs and GPUs separate from their MB?  Nowhere.  Where is the comparison to the graphics possibilities of a PC vs a PS3?  Nowhere.  

I suppose I can go on pointing out how asinine anything and everything that you have typed on this page is.  

It cost me $25, and that's including the cost of the heat gun, to REFLOW, not do a complete reballing, of the PS3's GPU and CPU.  I did that 2 years ago and my PS3 has never had an issue since.  Also, if PCs don't have GPU on the graphics card and CPU on the MB issues, why have  commercial reflow stations been sold to professional PC repair shops since before PS1 was a thing?  

Think twice before you open that useless hole of yours.

Usually, I don't respond to any animal lower in intelligence than my German shepherd, and I'm sure I'll regret doing it this time, however, here it goes...

Where in my post did I say I was a PC gamer?  Nowhere.  Where in my post did I say that when you build a brand new computer that CPUs and GPUs separate from their MB?  Nowhere.  Where is the comparison to the graphics possibilities of a PC vs a PS3?  Nowhere.  

I suppose I can go on pointing out how asinine anything and everything that you have typed on this page is.  

It cost me $25, and that's including the cost of the heat gun, to REFLOW, not do a complete reballing, of the PS3's GPU and CPU.  I did that 2 years ago and my PS3 has never had an issue since.  Also, if PCs don't have GPU on the graphics card and CPU on the MB issues, why have  commercial reflow stations been sold to professional PC repair shops since before PS1 was a thing?  

Think twice before you open that useless hole of yours.

lol...Well, atleast we know you don't talk to yourself. 

I'm not really recalling where i called you any of that. I was quoting a post you made about the "pc has the same problems as the ps3" remember that? I guess one of little iq can't remember what he said. Instead quote's stuff that ppl didn't say. 

So, where in the post did i say you was a pc gamer? Can't find it.

It's topics like this that make PC gamers feel uber superior to console gamers.  If they have a video card issue, do you think a PC gamer is just going to throw out the PC?  You do know that the issue the PS3 has with GPU and CPU separating from the motherboard has been happening to PCs for ages, right?  

Yea, screw the information age anyway.  Wouldn't want to educate yourself and learn something new...nooooooooo.  That would take...you know...effort and work.  God forbid.....

Where in your post did you say a brand new computer seperates? Well you didn't say new.... But here you go "You do know that the issue the PS3 has with GPU and CPU separating from the motherboard has been happening to PCs for ages, right?"  

Lol i'm not gonna continue answering your dumb questions. It's funny though when someone  points out some stupid references a guy made and they get offended they call the other person stupid. I seem to remember someone else on this site doing the same. Started with Dr..... Oh yea i remember that one too. 

So please mr, brilliant. Post about how ignorant i am. Especially when you say the pc has had the same problems for ages that the ps3 does.

LOL.. 2 times you've indicated you are smarter than most of us. Once in your original post, then again in your 2nd post. 

Yet you can't read. Interesting. 

Let me make sure i got this right by looking up on the internet before i open my useless hole again. LMAO. I'm gonna put that in my sig ok. It's alright with you? I'm gonna put your name too. That way you know, i atleast used your name once in something i said. 

I bet your other user name is the one that said PS3 requires direct sunlight too. LOLOLOL

Edit: Grabbing some popcorn....

Edited by TalynnStrike

I'd say get a PS3 if you want to play PS3 games still, or if you just want to sync data just borrow a friends.  

If you want to play some 360 exclusives, 360s are very very cheap these days.

Or just wait for PS4 if you really just don't care about last gen anymore.

My say, just get another PS3, pretty easy to get them around $100 or less used.  I find myself going back to my PS3 pretty often to play last gen games even with a 360 and PS4.  

Oh and please do, i want you to go on the internet and prove everything i said was a load of BS. Please do. I'll be happily awaiting that. 

Although you did say you don't respond to anything lower than your dog's iq. So i don't expect you to be able to. 

people like you annoy me. They spread false rumors or false bs to people. Giving them useless info. While other's try to give right info then useless people like yourself again have to say useless crap. 

Kinda like the guy with the direct sunlight post. 

Anyway, OP hope it all works out for ya and don't put your PS3 in direct sunlight for god's sake. Use a cooling fan if you play your ps3 for long periods of time and the air circulation around it is not good. i've had years and years of experience with electronics. I know what i'm talking about as a few other guys in this post do also.

Edited by TalynnStrike

talynn lol... i've been on some forums and the guy you mentioned is always given his one sided opinion which is always wrong and obnoxious, im guessin its the same person... its best to let these ppl type away tho as any reply to them throws up arguments...

its why he is banned from .org and .com... too self opinionated and brown noses mods

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

talynn lol... i've been on some forums and the guy you mentioned is always given his one sided opinion which is always wrong and obnoxious, im guessin its the same person... its best to let these ppl type away tho as any reply to them throws up arguments...

its why he is banned from .org and .com... too self opinionated and brown noses mods

Yea my wife sometimes wishes i'd stay away from forum's. As i tend to hunt troll idiots like him. But yea sounds like that type of guy. .org don't usually put up with crap either. I know one of them mods are stalking me cause i always tend to call ppl like him idiots over there. 

everyone thats got a ps4 on my friends list are still going back to play there ps3 there are not enough games for the ps4 yet and the first version ps4 isnt gonna be as reliable as there next version going on past experience with the ps3 fat to my super slim ps3.

Just today I booted up my PS3 for it to keep dying. This has happened before and I was allowing it to live on borrowed time, but today was it's last. The funeral is tomorrow. What should I do next? I haven't synched data in about a month now, but I removed the hard drive so that should be fine. Any cost effective PS3 slims? Or should I upgrade to a PS4? Perhaps I get an XBOX 360 for a while before buying a PS4? Tell me what I should do. And by the way, I do have a Vita but that can only go for so long.

I hate to tell you this but removing the internal hard drive doesn't just make everything "fine". PS3s have this really bad habit of auto formatting internal HDDs other than the one native to it once picked up...meaning, putting it into another PS3 is going to wipe it clean. Did you manage to ever use the back utility and save it to an external HDD by chance? Or put any of the data saved on the internal HDD in the PS+ cloud, a USB drive, or memory card (if its a fat model)? That's the only conventional way you can access that data again.

As far as what to do next...a lot matters. Do you have much of a backlog or still have plenty of PS3 games that you want to play? If yes, then buy a super slim model with a 500 GB HDD. If no, then you might as well move on to PS4.

Edited by merciful84

Same thing happened to me a few months ago.  My ps3 slim stopped reading blu-ray.  So, I bought a used PS3 fat replacement for $40.  I figured, it probably will cost me $40 to fix the blu-ray.  Now, I have two PS3 machines.  From what I heard, PS4 is even more noisier than PS3, so no thank you.  I think those engineers at Sony need to have their hearings check.   Come on, it's 2014, computer shouldn't sound like a rocket taking off.  If my 8 core desktop PC is running virtually silent at 98% workload, there is really no excuse for designning a noisy system.  Shame on you, Sony!

Edited by Sara-Rosecult

Even though Playstation Now is just around the corner, and even though PS4 is the newer system, I'd still say go PS3. It may be a long time before the PS4 is better than the PS3 in terms of its accessibility and library of games. The PS4's library is really not that big at the moment, and it probably won't ever be until after 2015 even by the time Arkham Knight and Uncharted are out. Also, it may be awhile until they patched up the basic features of the PS4 enough. Like for me personally, I'm bothered I can't alphabetize my trophy collection yet, and it would also be helpful if they organized the games on the XMB instead of doing recently played or used all the time, few other things. Seriously, only get a PS4 if you're a Killzone or inFAMOUS fan at the moment.

• 4 weeks later...

Id get another ps3 tbh. Yes a month of data loss sucks but its only a month. A ps4 would be second choice but you might end up just getting another ps3 anyway due to backlog and maybe any exclusives still to come.

I dont think the ps4 will really be worthwhile untill end of the year-2015 since most games are x-gen

Dont go to xbox though I made that mistake and just missed plus and the exclusives (forza is fantastic though)

If you really dont want to stick with sony id consider a pc if anything. But still, id get a ps3 in your situation.

• 1 month later...

Even with a huge backlog of PS3 games, i'm finding it hard to get away from my PS4. My vote is to purchase a PS4.

OFF TOPIC:

That's what ebay is for

You are missing a "[" in your signature...  replace the Source with this:

[url="https://psnprofiles.com/beerwego][img]https://card.psnprofiles.com/1/beerwego.png[/IMG][/URL]