Do You Play Games You've Already Played Just For The Platinum?

OmriStyle27

Posted (edited)

How often do you play games you've already played in the past on other platforms just to have the platinum trophy?

and does it feel like not the best use of time after you're done?

I'm doing that quite often and sometimes i'm thinking "why im still playing old games i've already played when there are so many new games i haven't played yet?"

but then again , playing a game without trophies and playing a game with trophies is usually totally different experience (for better or worse).

Edited by OmriStyle27
  • Like 3

I do that the whole time, not really for the platinum but I keep going back for older games to replay them for the fun whether if I already platinum them or if they don't even have any trophies.

never really cared if they're old or new, i'll replay them as long as i'm having fun with them.

there's already a couple of games that I plated twice, on the ps3 and on the ps4.

also i'm pretty sure there's already someone made a forum like this.

• Like 1

only if I really like the game, cause that gives me enough reason to play through it again without feeling like it's a waste of time. I did it recently with Alice Madness Returns and RE4 on PS3 (I had already gotten the trophies for them both on other versions). Planning on doing Alien Isolation next cause it's such a gem. If it makes you happy, I don't see why not.

• Like 3

yes ,often ,if it is a good game ,i jump back in it asap on alternate device if the game handle multiple console versions (ps3,4,5 and vita)

or on my us account if the game is really my taste (isaac,etc)

if the game is average i jump back in it later after a period (month,years,never?)

I do still play quite a bit I've already platinumed. Overwatch and Dead by Daylight being the most frequent, but I have the Sims 4 on my PC and play it often. Mods and CC galore. I do get that feeling of 'oh I'm wasting my time, I should be trophy hunting right now' but, eh, as long as I'm having fun that's what matters in the end.

I haven't gotten the platinum for Stardew Valley, Minecraft or X-Com 2, but I play them often on my PC, too without going for achievements, so I'm adding those in, too, because if I had them platinumed I'd still play them.

I will do this if I like the game, for sure. 

Like, I played Trine when it released on PS3, but never played the Enchanted Edition. I just got it on sale for like $3. 

I've played many remasters because they had trophies this time. 

I get that there are many more games to play now, and I agree, but not all of them are games I'm interested in. I often have like, a dead period between new games that I want to play, so revisiting a game I like with a new trophy list is good.

PlayStation is my primary so the Platinum is inevitably first... These days I'll go with the PS5 Version first, regardless of Auto-Pop (I want the superior Resolution/Framerate and if I loved the game I get to play the PS4 Version later and get the Platinum all over again)

I also have an Xbox 360 & Xbox Series X (and Xbone X packed away, just like the PS4 as the current gen plays both of their games... X360 for the massive amount of stuff that isn't BackCompat of course, PS3 also still setup btw) and I'll go over and get the 1000G/1000G if I don't have any PlayStation versions left to get Trophies in 😅

Also have a Nintendo Switch OLED (had the OG since Launch, went to a midnight launch event actually, and I always buy their systems for their games specifically) now if Nintendo actually went ahead and added a Trophy/Achievement type system I'd actually buy a lot more of those Stinky Switch ports 😂

I’ll return to games that I’ve already got a plat in, usually because I’m assisting a friend with trophies. I basically feel like I’m achieving them all over again but through someone else. Trophies are a helluva drug 😅

• Like 1

Yes, the reasoning is different from title to title, though. Main reason is a "I paid for it" situation where a game comes with another system version of itself. Most common secondary reason is a rerelease/other system version is another decent excuse to replay a game I like. That's why I've completed Costume Quest 1/2 several times across different platforms.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Did it a few times, mainly because I wanted to replay these games anyway. Buying it on PS4 instead of playing it the original way either was done because I no longer had the original copy for it, or because it was cheap enough that paying a few euros and getting a plat for it was more convenient than rummaging through my basement to find both the console and the copy in that big old mess of a storage space.

Edited by Dauersack

If you mean remakes, then sometimes but very rarely. Like I played all the KH and FF games in the PS2 days, and replayed FF10, 10-2 and 12 again as the PS4 remakes for the platinums as it has been more than 10 years. But did not for any KH game except BBS because I never finished it on PSP. I thought many times to get the PS4 version of Tales of Vesperia, although I already have the PS3 platinum which was my first plat 10 years ago, but can't bring myself to replay the same game. 

As for games played on PS4 and PS5, no. I only play the PS5 version, I never do auto pop or anything like that.

I get bored easily and am the type who cannot play, do, watch or read anything more than once if the time between is too short unless I completely forgot everything that it feels like a new game.

For example I played Persona 3 portable when it was released, and although reload is a different game it's the same story and characters, and a year gap is too small. I plan on waiting a another few years before i bother with this, as I like to play new stories with new characters. 

I have a couple favorites I like to replay once in a while, if I have some down time or if I'm feeling burnt out, usually go for Bloodborne or the Ratchet and Clank Future Trilogy. Super replayable games.

• Like 1

35 of my platinums are games I had already played on PC, and I had finished almost all of them. It felt good to revisit most of them, and the hunt for trophies even made me discover things I didn't know or hadn't experienced.

On 5/20/2024 at 10:05 AM, DrBloodmoney said:

Not just for the platinum - I wouldn't play one I didn't enjoy again just for the jewellery, but if I do want to play the game again, the trophies are a nice added incentive.

That is pretty much the same for me. When I have played a game on nintendo switch and then see the trophies, I can estimate if I want to go for the platinum or not. I only play those games which I have enjoyed but if I do so I will go for the trophies.