Watermelon Games to publish Elysian Shadows on Dreamcast

Lady Lilith

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/05/27/watermelon-games-to-publish-elysian-shadows-on-dreamcast/

es_channel_art-600x300.png

If you guys haven’t heard, Watermelon Games will be publishing the physical copy of the 16-bit inspired RPG Elysian Shadows on Dreamcast.  In my opinion this is was a great move, since Pier Solar  got great reception due to its attention to detail when it comes to packaging.

When we interviewed Watermelon Video Games President Tulio Goncalves he told us that the goal of Sier Polar was to feel like a SEGA Mega Drive/Genesis RPG. Elysian Shadows is different in the sense that its influenced by SNES titles at the time suck as Chrono Trigger, Secret of Mana, and the ever popular Final Fantasy series.

It will be interesting to play both side by side on our Dreamcast when both titles are finally released. I love 16-bit RPGs and don’t discriminate, the more quality Dreamcast titles the better. Check out more information on the game here.

The game will also be releasing digitally on PC, Mac, Linux, iOS, Android, and Ouya.

:wub:

• 2 weeks later...

http://segabits.com/blog/2014/06/04/elysian-shadows-developers-release-video-update-on-project/

We already posted about how Elysian Shadows is being published (Dreamcast version) by the wonderful guys over at Watermelon Games. That isn’t all it seems, the team recently got private investors so some of the developers can work full time on the game.

The Kickstarter will still be happening on August 1st. Have a question for the team? We will be having the developers on the Swingin’ Report Show tomorrow, so drop any questions you might have.

Absolutely can't wait.  Between this and Pier Solar... :wub:  More JRPG goodness on Dreamcast.

Dreamcast? I know I don't follow the gaming world that closely, but... what?

Yeah... that's what I was thinking. And here I was thinking it was odd that EA Games still releases FIFA on PS2... Guess there's still a market for these consoles

Yeah... that's what I was thinking. And here I was thinking it was odd that EA Games still releases FIFA on PS2... Guess there's still a market for these consoles

It happens, also it's great for budding developer to practice their skills before hitting the big guns (X360-X1/PS3-PSV-PS4/3DS-WiiU).

Dreamcast? I know I don't follow the gaming world that closely, but... what?

There are actually quite a few people who are still making games for the Dreamcast, it has a pretty big homebrewing community. There are people who still make games for just about every system all the way back to the Atari 2600.

Parker

• 3 months later...

How would it differ? Hook up old an DS3 and PC gaming gets way more console-ish, in a good way.

I dunno, I just can never actually seem to play games on the PC.  For me, PCs are used for online activities and chatting, while consoles and handhelds are for gaming.  I'm told I'm really weird for thinking that, though.

I dunno, I just can never actually seem to play games on the PC.  For me, PCs are used for online activities and chatting, while consoles and handhelds are for gaming.  I'm told I'm really weird for thinking that, though.

Well, yeah - you are  :P

Just hook up a controller to your PC and PC to TV with HDMI cable and there's totally no difference to a game console. Especially if you run Steam in Big Picture Mode.

There are actually quite a few people who are still making games for the Dreamcast, it has a pretty big homebrewing community. There are people who still make games for just about every system all the way back to the Atari 2600.

Parker

One of the Atari 2600 games I want to get is Halo 2600, it was made by Ed Fries, former vice president of game publishing at Microsoft, who was involved in Microsoft's acquisition of Bungie, it looks like a pretty good homebrew game.

halo_2600_loose_zpse9561e31.jpg

Edited by TheVader66