Favourite Pokemon Generation (and Game)?

FluffyAssassin64

Pokemon :D  

5 members have voted

1. 1. What's your favourite Pokemon Generation?

• Gen I (Red/Blue/Yellow)
    • Gen II (Gold/Silver/Crystal)
    • Gen III (Ruby/Sapphire/Emerald, FireRed/LeafGreen)
    • Gen IV (Diamond/Pearl/Platinum, HeartGold/SoulSilver)
    • Gen V (Black/White 1 and 2)
    • Gen IV (X/Y... Omega Ruby/Alpha Sapphire games released soon)

I've got a confession to make. I'm 19 this year, and I'm a Pokemon tragic.

I've played Pokemon games for pretty much my whole life; all the way from Gen I to the current Gen IV... many of them more than once. For example, I've played:

• Emerald 6 times
  • FireRed 4 times
  • Diamond 3 times
  • White 2 times

I also recently got Pokemon Y (me and my mates played online for a while); but I've kind of pushed it to the side as the console games take centre stage in my life...

ANYWAY, it got me to thinking; which generation is the best? I know there are Gen I purists out there (and there are many, if forum comments on every website known to man are anything to go by), but I'm sure there are also people who prefer the changes made in newer generations.

For me, Gen III takes the cake; maybe it's nostalgia, but this gen of games really just excite me. I'd have to say FireRed is my favourite overall game as well (non-linear exploration being a highlight; most of the new ones just have you following a path around the outside of the map).

What's your favourite Pokemon Generation and Game? (Note: No poll for the 'game' because you can include spin-offs as well... and this list will be too big)

• Like 1

I would say Gen 1/Gen 2. I think Gen 1 set a great example of how a game should be made but it was lacking in some departments. The pokemon design actually looked like they cared at that time, now it's just really bad if you are an older player. Gen 2 was much better with night and day clocks, this made the player feel like they are on a genuine adventure. The after story of allowing you to go back to Kanto region was a great addition and brought back nice memories.  

I would say I have played every game once and I have all games twice, one opened and one mint copy. 

• Like 1

Gen III for me. 

Played:

Red - once.

Gold - once

Ruby - twice.

Emerald - 4 times.

Sapphire - once.

Fire Red - 5 times.

Leaf Green - Once

Diamond - once.

White 1 - once.

Yet to play X or Y, but I guess I need to buy a 3DS for that.

And I love III Gen just because I get Wailords there <3

I would say Gen IV is the best generation so far in Pokemon. It not only has among the best starters and variety of Pokemon to train (Gen III comes a close second in this regard) but it also reintroduced the day/night time feature and made it better. The best aspect was the separation between physical and special attacks, thus making Pokemon like Weavile more useful in battle. The Pokemon designs for this generation were great as Game Freak put a lot of detail in the Pokemon without going overboard, which Gen V sadly faced this problem.

The better games of the generation were SoulSilver/HeartGold. All 16 Gym Leaders of Kanto and Johto had their own little versus screen, which did make the battles feel more exciting. The remix of the classic music from Silver was pleasant to listen to without being burdened by nostalgia. The one feature I do miss from SoulSilver is that of Pokemon following you. It was nice having your Pokemon follow you from behind as I felt more attached to my team. I hope OmegaRuby reintroduces this feature as I would love having my Espurr follow me.

I'm 21 and I've played Pokemon since Yellow, so there's no shame in being a Pokemaniac. I've played every game at least once but I invested over 1k hours in SoulSilver alone. It was fun raising several Pokemon and challenging my highschool friends to battles. There's a good chance I'll get Omega Ruby when it comes out and I know I'll be taking a break from the PS3 when I get my hands on it.

I enjoyed Gen 3 the most.  I missed out on the Sinnoh games, but played the other gens.  

Really like X and Y other than the story being absolute crap compared to the other gens.  Not that I found the stories that great in Pokemon, but X and Y's was downright terrible.

My favorite pokemon games would have to be the Heartgold and Soulsilver.  I'm a sucker for Johto and Kanto regions, and the remakes were fantastic.