Have you been looked down upon because of trophies?

Quin-Lann

nopers, my friends are alright with me talking trophy hunting, in fact I started to convert some into it because all my friends are former xbox players so they feel like they lost everything after switching from Xbox 360 to PS4, so they also started to hunt trophies to make up for all time they lost in switching.

• Like 1

Usually when I'm in a party chat and other peoples friends join and they look at my profile they usually say "WHAT THE FUCK, you got more gold trophies then I got overall trophies" Lol.

Yes all the time, friends ask "what you been up to?" if I reply with "just got a really difficult trophy on a game" they say "what a sad b*****d" or "get a life" so now I just respond with "not much" lol

Nice friends you got there xD

Of cause you shouldn't care about other's opinion. As long as you are doing something that you think is fun, then it doesn't matter that some might think it is weird. As ant1th3s1s said:

I guess you could say the same of any hobby. I think pimping your car, collecting comics, flying remote-control helicopters, reading romance novels, buying sports paraphernalia or cramming more shoes in your closet than you'll wear in three lifetimes is a waste of time and money. Different strokes, different folks...

As long as it makes you happy, it doesn't matter what anyone else thinks.

people have different hobbies that are just as "weird". 
But what I don't get is that 
Many says that they are repellent to talk about trophies in public, because they get such mixed answers, like will-guy-bebe:

Yes all the time, friends ask "what you been up to?" if I reply with "just got a really difficult trophy on a game" they say "what a sad b*****d" or "get a life" so now I just respond with "not much" lol

This is not fair if you ask me. Is it because trophy hunting is new to some people? You are afraid of something you don't know?
it is like talking to a person has and will never play video games. To them it is childish and not something that is not worth spending time on. And hunting is even more hardcore gaming than playing normally, so it becomes even more extreme to admit that "I'm not just gaming, I'm also trophy hunting". It becomes some sort of guilty pleasure, don't you think? 

• Like 1

it is like talking to a person has and will never play video games. To them it is childish and not something that is not worth spending time on. And hunting is even more hardcore gaming than playing normally, so it becomes even more extreme to admit that "I'm not just gaming, I'm also trophy hunting". It becomes some sort of guilty pleasure, don't you think?

I see it as a natural extension of what we enjoy doing. It's like fantasy leagues for football, baseball, basketball...whatever. I have no understanding nor any real interest in that hobby, nor can I relate to it, so it's easy to dismiss it as "stupid" or "pointless" or "childish".

It's the same thing with car nuts, or film buffs, or gym junkies, or fashionistas, or book worms...it just means we / they are more serious about our hobbies than the casual fan and we set ourselves goals to add value to it.

I can't say that I wear my trophy card as a badge of honour as it provides nothing more than a sense of personal achievement. It's not something I'll bring up in everyday conversion with a non-gamer because I know that a ) they don't care or b ) they don't get it. But equally, it's nothing to be ashamed of. If my hobby weirds some people out, so be it. I like to think they're closet trannies, furries or bronies, which makes my 'fetish' tame my comparison.

Edited by ant1th3s1s
  • Like 2

Have you ever had a bad experience with someone who wasn't trophy hunting, did not get the concept or thought it was waste of time?

This sums up the majority of my other friends who are into gaming but I wouldn't go so far as to say that they look down on me for being into trophies.

When you start questioning things you realize there's no point to anything we do in life when you consider that you will die and the world will come to an end it will be like before life nothing ever existed.  

You ok, man?

27285798.jpg

wanted to like this picture  but ive reached my daily limit which is ridiculous lol but loving the reply. I think people are seeing my view on it as a bit depressing which was not my aim my point was not everything you do has to have a point or be worthwhile if you enjoy doing something even if its a waste of time then doing it for the sake of enjoyment is a good enough reason. Majority of things with do in everyday life and pointless but we all do for that fill good factor

• Like 3

The only thing someone said to me that it was a waste of time, I understand what he meant, but most of my friends are trophy hunters ;p. and the ones that are not came from the game Modnation Racers and WipEout HD, or close friends irl. I find if you like something don't be afraid or ashamed because of it. It's just in the same league as collecting comics or action figures.

• Like 1

It is good to hear that so many of you have good experiences with this "issue".

My closest friends have it the same way

One thing I don't get however is that one of the key elements in the "feel good" factor is the acceptance of who you are in a social context, but if what you do to feel good, e.g. hunting trophies or collecting stamps, is something no one in your social circle really understands, it must be hard to get the feeling of acceptance. 

Have any of you gone so far as to lose a friend because of hunting or some other hobby they just didn't understand? I'm not trying to make a sorrowful thread, I just think the subject is interesting and sort of taboo  :rolleyes:

Sometimes, I told a few friends a while back about Hunting and they went off on this insanely long dialogue about how what I was doing was a waste of time and that I couldn't enjoy a game that way. Jokes on them though, I have more plats than they do. :D

• Like 2

I usually get a few messages when i play 4/5 year old games for trophies of friends but i just laugh. It's something that the majority won't or don't understand what we do, happily sitting up all night with your headphones on eating pizza & playing the shit out of a game :D

• Like 2