Tank build ideas.

KiNg_PK

So I haven't played Dark Souls 2 in a while and I wanted to get back into so that I can finish up the trophies, problem is that i've lost all my data and need to restart. So I have decided to build a tank to go back through it and just eat damage and help other along the way. 

So this is where i'm not sure what i'm going to do. I want to have a few faith spells but i'm so bad at allocating points to the stats I need. (last time I tried to build a character from scratch, I used up all my life vessels and was stuck with a mess of a character that couldn't do but 100+ damage).

Now this is where you guys come in, I want some help with the build, I need ideas, weapons, armor, stats and spells that sorta thing. I've also seen a few people that need help with some other bosses, so once I get the character up and ready i'd be more than happy to help you out too!

One more thing, would anyone like to run through the game from start to finish with me? We could do this with another character later on, and do some challenge runs together. I think that'd be pretty fun to do.

I usually start out with a knight.  Magic is useless at the first stage of the game.  Beside, we can easily alter the stats later using the Soul Vessel (one can be found in Majula).   Here are the order of businesses for my new build:

1.  Pick up the dagger at the first fog gate in the tutorial area.  Don't under estimate the power of a fully upgraded dagger.  It may come in handy some times.

2.  Buy a Silver Eagle shield from Maughlin in Majula, talk the the lady to get the Flask.  Also pick up the binoculara by the cliff.

3.  To Forest of the Falling Giant to pick up summon stone.  On the way there, kill the Heide knight and pick up his sword, very good starter weapon.  Summon two phatoms to help take down the Pursuer, he will drop the Blade ring, very good starter ring.  Also pick up the Chloranthy ring (hint: quickly get the key to the mansion to pick up a Pharros Lockstone in Majula, then use it to get the ring).  Also get the fire long sword too, pretty good backup weapon.  If you are having trouble killing the last giant, summon Pate and another phatom to help.  Pate is like a tank.  Also pickup the Drangleic set (with Sword and shield), very good shield and armor. 

4.  Open the blacksmith door in Majula, get the short bow and buy some wooden arrows.

5.  Head to the Heide's Tower Of Flame so that we can get  Licia to open the path to Iron Keep, next.  While we are in the neighborhood, head over to the Wharf to get the Ring of Life Protection, cystal lizzard, may well take care of the Flixile Sentry; with Lucatiel help, it's a piece of cake (hint, you can safely pick out enemies with the short bow).

6.  Light the bonfire at Lost Bastille, then head back to Majula.  Level up, and upgrade weapons.  Give 2000 souls to Licia (the one we just meet at Tower of Flame) to open the path to Iron Keep.

7.  Quickly get to Iron Keep and kill everything on our direct path.   I'm trying to keep my soul memory low so that I don't have to deal with invaders at this early stage (because most invaders have better weapons and armors at this point).   Also join the Sun covenant along the way.  We need to get to iron keep quickly because we need that Flame Ember, asap.

8.  Get the Flame (Dull) Ember in Iron Keep.  At this point, most of the time, I buy a claymore from a merchant in the misty forest and Jester armor in Iron Keep.  Now, we are going to have fun in Lost Bastille becaue now we have McDuff working for us.  Most importantly, we can acquire unlimited Large Shard for weapon and armor upgrade.  To get the chunks, just join the Bell Keeper covenant and have fun protecting the bell (get a chunk for every win as a gray phantom).

9.  I usually join the Blood covenant and practice PvP.  Sometimes, I join the Blue Sentinels for fun too.  I never use the Cracked Red Eye Orb (why commit sins when I don't have to).  Just go down to the Grave of Saint to get the free Token of Spite because it's needed for joining the Blood covenant.  May well, get the forgotten key while down there, and harvey armor, great lightning spear, etc.  Oh yeah, I almost forget.  We can safely farm for large shard and even chunk down in the Gutter.  Just shoot a fire arrow to those oil holes (or throw fire bomb if we don't have fire arrow) and watch our enemies burn to oblivion.

That's it.  That's how I quickly advanced my new build and get good weapons and armors.

• Like 1

I usually start out with a knight.  Magic is useless at the first stage of the game.  Beside, we can easily alter the stats later using the Soul Vessel (one can be found in Majula).   Here are the order of businesses for my new build:

1.  Pick up the dagger at the first fog gate in the tutorial area.  Don't under estimate the power of a fully upgraded dagger.  It may come in handy some times.

2.  Buy a Silver Eagle shield from Maughlin in Majula, talk the the lady to get the Flask.  Also pick up the binoculara by the cliff.

3.  To Forest of the Falling Giant to pick up summon stone.  On the way there, kill the Heide knight and pick up his sword, very good starter weapon.  Summon two phatoms to help take down the Pursuer, he will drop the Blade ring, very good starter ring.  Also pick up the Chloranthy ring (hint: quickly get the key to the mansion to pick up a Pharros Lockstone in Majula, then use it to get the ring).  Also get the fire long sword too, pretty good backup weapon.  If you are having trouble killing the last giant, summon Pate and another phatom to help.  Pate is like a tank.  Also pickup the Drangleic set (with Sword and shield), very good shield and armor. 

4.  Open the blacksmith door in Majula, get the short bow and buy some wooden arrows.

5.  Head to the Heide's Tower Of Flame so that we can get  Licia to open the path to Iron Keep, next.  While we are in the neighborhood, head over to the Wharf to get the Ring of Life Protection, cystal lizzard, may well take care of the Flixile Sentry; with Lucatiel help, it's a piece of cake (hint, you can safely pick out enemies with the short bow).

6.  Light the bonfire at Lost Bastille, then head back to Majula.  Level up, and upgrade weapons.  Give 2000 souls to Licia (the one we just meet at Tower of Flame) to open the path to Iron Keep.

7.  Quickly get to Iron Keep and kill everything on our direct path.   I'm trying to keep my soul memory low so that I don't have to deal with invaders at this early stage (because most invaders have better weapons and armors at this point).   Also join the Sun covenant along the way.  We need to get to iron keep quickly because we need that Flame Ember, asap.

8.  Get the Flame (Dull) Ember in Iron Keep.  At this point, most of the time, I buy a claymore from a merchant in the misty forest and Jester armor in Iron Keep.  Now, we are going to have fun in Lost Bastille becaue now we have McDuff working for us.  Most importantly, we can acquire unlimited Large Shard for weapon and armor upgrade.  To get the chunks, just join the Bell Keeper covenant and have fun protecting the bell (get a chunk for every win as a gray phantom).

9.  I usually join the Blood covenant and practice PvP.  Sometimes, I join the Blue Sentinels for fun too.  I never use the Cracked Red Eye Orb (why commit sins when I don't have to).  Just go down to the Grave of Saint to get the free Token of Spite because it's needed for joining the Blood covenant.  May well, get the forgotten key while down there, and harvey armor, great lightning spear, etc.  Oh yeah, I almost forget.  We can safely farm for large shard and even chunk down in the Gutter.  Just shoot a fire arrow to those oil holes (or throw fire bomb if we don't have fire arrow) and watch our enemies burn to oblivion.

That's it.  That's how I quickly advanced my new build and get good weapons and armors.

I like how you said we a lot, I already feel like we're the best of friends.

Since my old ps3 is dying and terribly noisy, I got the p3 super slim as the replacement, yesterday.  Instead of transfering my old saves to this new machine, I'm starting it fresh all over again.  So yes, if any one here want to co-op from the beginning to the end, let me know.   I'm in the US central time zone.

Btw, my new p3 super slim is very quiet.  After two hours of playing dark souls last night, the machine is still cool to the touch and its fan did not sound like a rocket engine.  After all these years, Sony finally got it right.   Since The Last of Us came with my new machine, I probably will put away Darksouls soon.

tank? you can block or evade almost anything in the game....dont need armor at all! a good shield is the way to go!

i would recommend a STR+FAITH build, very strong and easy to play for PVE...55 faith is enough, you can use the best lightning bolt spear and 32~40 STR for a good +10 weapon enchanted with light and another weapon with dark...

with that STR u can use the best shields on the game (greatshields)