Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
the_daddy2009

Any Older Gamers Here?

136 posts in this topic

39 here...soon to be 40. Just got back into gaming shortly after my 36th birthday, so I have a lot of catching up to do still, lol. I kinda prefer gaming with people my age because we have been around long enough to know what's important in life! I work with teenagers, and they always seem shocked that I'm into gaming :)

Edit: Not moving onto PS4 anytime soon I'm afraid. I have well over 17K unearned trophies on my PS3 (Don't even get me started on my 360) Unfortunately I really don't have much time to game...so that backlog should last me until all servers and such are shut down, haha. Honestly, If I could get 1/2 of those in my lifetime I'd be pretty stoked. I don't do the long grinds, or stress over ultra hard difficulties. I do have trouble letting go of collectables however...

Edited by Floorkiller74

I don't really see a reason why one would stop doing what they like just because they age. Sure someone with lesser reaction time might not really get to enjoy fast-paced shooters that much, but there's lots and lots of games that don't require such.

There's no reason for your reaction time to slow if you've gamed consistently for decades. My favourite shooters are twitch-based, like Unreal Tournament, Counter-strike and Bulletstorm. What does decline is the time you have available to play games, so MP-based shooters like Call of Duty, Battlefield and Titanfall see us at a disadvantage because of a lack of familiarity with the maps, not a decline in skill.

Your 30s are your prime and your 40s aren't far behind. My oldest child is 4, so I'll be playing well into my 50s and 60s.

I was thinking more as life gets more and more busy, and I've got a family to take care of, more jobs to do around the house, work, etc. At the moment, although I'm busy with uni, I can still find time to game when I want. As I will be becoming a Surgeon (hopefully - I'm doing Medicine, and that's my goal), I can imagine that I will be quite busy.

I definitely see what you mean though; I'll be sure to not give up on this hobby I love so much just because I'm getting older!

Having kids impacts your free time the most, but I still have at least 3 hours every night at my disposal to watch TV, read books, play games...whatever.

By the way, many a surgeon can attribute their steady hand to video gaming as a youth ;)

Edited by ant1th3s1s

Let's just say I'm well over 18. ;) I've been gaming in one form or another my whole life, and I fully intend to keep up the habit. My only concern is that someday I'll be too arthritic to hold a controller, but maybe by then we'll have moved on to thought-controlled games or something. :D

I'm 31 and with having a full time job and 3 kids I just don't get to game anywhere as much as I want to.

All this talk about reactions slowing is bullocks I reckon.

Thanks for all the replies, great to see that there are so many gamers my age out there, hope you don't mind me adding you all?

:)

I'm 34, nice to know i'm not the only one here who can remember the 80s :)

just think... if it wasnt for all the older gamers outthere who continued to support gamin by fundin it with software sales and stuck with it through the ages, gamin might not be what it is today... the biggest sales driver in entertainment and the biggest form of entertainment

also gotta give credit to younger gamers for actually embracin games/home software from yesteryear, my youngest cousin is 13 and enjoys playin the snes... gonna be fun to see where gamin takes us years from now if it carries on... 1024bit, 2048bit, 4096bit... unreal

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

I guess I qualify as a older gamer myself. I'm 39 and will be 40 in October. Don't plan on quitting anytime soon. Been gameing since the mid to late 80's.

I did get away from gameing a little bit in the middle of the Ps2 life and picked back up in 2010 when i got my ps3.

just think... if it wasnt for all the older gamers outthere who continued to support gamin by fundin it with software sales and stuck with it through the ages, gamin might not be what it is today... the biggest sales driver in entertainment and the biggest form of entertainment

also gotta give credit to younger gamers for actually embracin games/home software from yesteryear, my youngest cousin is 13 and enjoys playin the snes... gonna be fun to see where gamin takes us years from now if it carries on... 1024bit, 2048bit, 4096bit... unreal

Kids today are so lucky, I remember getting home from school and putting a game to load in my Commodore C64, an hour later I would be lucky if it had completed loading. 

Newly 34 in late may.  I just recently (7 months) got over my one company video game bias I have had since NES ( NES,SNES, 64, xbox, PS3.  Yes I jumped around a lot) Bought me a Wii-U, X1, and a PS4.  Play mostly PS4+3 but want the others for occasional games. Definitely not slowing down.

Edited by dodgedoors

lol the daddy, shadow of the beast used to take an age to load for me... all that waitin just to get killed by the first boss 5mins into the game

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

Hitting 34 a little later this year.  Started gaming on a Commadore 16 +4, been throygh every generation of Playstation had a 3 and a 2 die on me, still gaming strong.

Im 41 this year and still playing as much as in my early 20s , if not more . The only thing different is i like easier games more nowadays . I used to get pissed if a game was too easy to complete , i would feel cheated , i would search for games that were tough tough challenges ....Now ? I like it easier ,dont want to spend hours and hours on one level etc.

35 here, 2 kids, wife of 9 years and full time job.  I only buy used games and probably won't get a ps4 for about 2 years.  I love the classic games but truly feel as if gaming is only getting better. 

I'm 29, however Playstation till I die :-) Death to Microsoft :-0

i take offense old. nah theres a group gaming over 30 u might want check out. im 32

33 here and going strong. Been gaming since the Atari, took a break on my early twenties because of college/work/other interests and got back to it full force from 26-27 on, when I also started collecting older and new video games. Recently got into trophy hunting and it's been proving fun and a nice way to play different games from my usual gaming habits.

Hi,

I'm 37 and hardcore gamer and trophy hunter :) I do own a PS4 ^_^ I play since i'm very young! I started with atari and never stopped playing!

*cheers*

Hello guys,

I am 36 and love gaming, I got my PS3 two and a half years ago and been playing regularly since...before that I made a big break from this, skipped all era with PS2, college...work and other stuff....Now I do not have so much time for gaming but I am trying to use it wisely and to the max! :)

Feel free to add me, fellow old-timers ;)

I am 39. I will turn 40 in August. Obviously I am a trophy hunter, but then I was a trophy hunter before trophies were ever thought about. Have objectives in games is not a new concept, but having a nice shiny to show for it is...lol

Edited by allenbird

Yeah 33 here and have been gaming since the days of the rubber keyed spectrum 48K and Commodore 64 and those horrid loading times on the tapes  :rolleyes:

Don't have the spare time to game like I used to, but I'll be gaming for the rest of my days thats for sure

Obviously I am a trophy hunter, but then I was a trophy hunter before trophies were ever thought about. Have objectives in games is not a new concept, but having a nice shiny to show for it is...lol

That's the spirit: I always was a completionist as well, if there were trophies for all those 16-bit era RPGs I would have a hefty trophy cabinet to show off :rolleyes:

PS: I haven't got one third of the time I used to have to play anymore, naturally, hence the meager completion rate here  :unsure:

Edited by fabmorais_2011

37 here, 38 in September. I've been gaming on and off over the years with these consoles: Atari 2600 (with the lovely wooden trim), ZX Spectrum 128, Sega Megadrive, PlayStaton, PS2, PS3, Xbox 360 and the PS4. Over the last couple of years, I've become a bit of a trophy hunter at the cost of several controllers (I have a short temper :angel:) but I don't think I'll be stopping any time soon.