Tips for capturing familiars ?

What madbuk said is correct. After a long steak of not capturing one I would turn my console off and re-boot the game and then would capture one quickly. Seemed to help for some reason. Maybe it was a coincidence but it is worth a try. 

When going for familiars, I focused on evolving rather than capturing, it was way faster for me, and you can even do both things at the same time if you put tier-1 familiars in your party while trying to capture a familiar :)

• Like 1

It's random, I got the 200 no problem when I put my mind to it.  Just keep fighting the familiars, they all have an extremely low catch rate, 5-20% is the best you'll ever get for any of them.  Go for the low tier ones, at least 2 of those, then just evolve them into the other 2 familiars.  Avoid leveling up ones like Toko (think that's what he is called) as that one takes forever to evolve despite having a very low level to do it with (the amount of EXP they need is like the equivalent of leveling up nearly any other familiar to Lv 30 odds for 1 level).

• Like 1

well i don't know if it will help you but, what i did for me was mix between evolving and capturing, and surely the best to level up for evolving is beating toko/tokotoko/tokocold etc.

but i was lucky to capture fast more than evolving.

• Like 1

my tips:

- learn how to stealth... <- my first problem in capturing familiars is that I am always over-leveled when I reach new region therefore learning how to stealth and how enemies movement in the map is a must IMO

- capture tier 1(base form) of familiar... it is said that you'll have higher chance of capturing the base form of Familiar than it's later forms

- get familiar with the familiars you have already got so that you'll know what you have already captured... 

- if possible, get at least 2 of the base form of same familiar since almost all of them have 2 forms... you could also have 1 base form then the next form of that monster... 

- if you need specific FAMILIAR or on your way to "capture"/be-friend 200 different familiars/forms, the tablet(forgot the name) dude is there to help you... 

- patience... especially in Darwin's missions... just think that you'll eventually get that FREAKING FAMILIAR.... also if you don't capture the monster, look in the silver lining... there is exp + money + item after each battle ^_^

-if you ran out of patience in capturing familiars in Darwin's mission, you could always skip that first, go with the story or do some mission, then when your patience have come back... try again capturing that FREAKING FAMILIAR

useful Merit Awards:

TIER 1

Jack Be Nimble - for Oliver to move faster in world map... 
Jack in the Box - to stealth easier...

TIER 3 
Jack of Hearts - to increase the chance to capture the Familiar(s)
Edited by jeieem

The easiest and fastest way to do it is get a Dinoceros, fully level and evolve him, then fill every other slot with familiars you've caught and keep them there till they can metamorphose. Just use earsplitter on everything you come across until you catch a few things, it's easier and quicker getting tier 1 familiars and evolving them rather than trying to get their second or third form. The merit awards help but Jack of hearts only adds an extra  20%  onto the original capture rate, so if you've got a 5% capture rate on something it'll be 6% so it's nice to have but if you don't yet there's no real rush to get it. 

How many familiars do you have caught?

Edited by NIALLERMANBUZ
  • Like 1

When going after the trophy for having farmed 250 difference species, keep in mind that the gold versions of familiars are counted as separate from the "vanilla" version.  They won't show up until the postgame, but knowing this ought to help you along a little bit.