What do you think about these trophy hunter types?

Quin-Lann

I prefer Trophy Slut = Trophy Completist

I'm sure most of us would prefer a slut.  :lol:

J/K fyi, happily married with two kids, just seemed like the obvious response.

Edited by Hemiak

I'd definitely be considered a casual trophy hunter. I never try to earn them on purpose, and as soon as I beat a game's storyline, I immediately move on to the next game in my backlog.

I do stick around if there are extra bosses to fight and areas to explore though.

Okay guys, as I see it now, player types are related to how much you are playing games for the sake of the trophies. I have tried putting it like this:

The further on the right a player type is, the more important are trophies for him/her. 

"I don't care about trophies" <--------------------------------------------------> "Trophies are my life"

1. Non-Trophy players:

(Players who will never and has never, consciously, pursued a trophy)

2. Trophy casuals:

(Players who will only pursue a trophy if they find the game or trophy fun)

3. Trophy hunters:

(Players who will pursue trophies that might not be fun to them)

4. Trophy platinum completists:

(Players who finds it thrilling to get all trophies in order to unlock the platinum)

5. Trophy 100% completists:

(Players who finds it thrilling to get all trophies in a game, including DLC specific trophies)

6. Trophy whores:

(Players who only play games to get trophies)

Of course there are no clear separating line between the types. One player can be more than one type and different games can evoke different types in you.

Either of these types can be using different sorts of cheating methods or not, to accomplish their goals. As I see it the methods used does not alter what type of hunter you are.

I know it is not possible to define people's personalities like this, but I think there might be some truth to it.

What do you think. Can you place yourself in this or am I just talking rubbish?

Edited by Quin-Lann

Okay guys, as I see it now, player types are related to how much you are playing games for the sake of the trophies. I have tried putting it like this:

The further on the right a player type is, the more important are trophies for him/her. 

"I don't care about trophies" <--------------------------------------------------> "Trophies are my life"

1. Non-Trophy players:

2. Trophy casuals:

3. Trophy hunters:

(Players who finds it thrilling to get all trophies in order to unlock the platinum)

(Players who finds it thrilling to get all trophies in a game, including DLC specific trophies)

6. Trophy whores:

Of course there are no clear separating line between the types. One player can be more than one type and different games can evoke different types in you.

Either of these types can be using different sorts of cheating methods or not, to accomplish their goals. As I see it the methods used does not alter what type of hunter you are.

I know it is not possible to define people's personalities like this, but I think there might be some truth to it.

I guess i am far right then, hang on that doesnt sound right ....

I could see these categories summing it up. However, there are a few issues with the descriptions. They don't really cover all gamers.

"Trophy Whore" is commonly included as a 4th category. Basically people that play multiple region plats, instant plats through cloud sync, easy/quick games, etc. Essentially playing anything that will not take much time/effort and increase their trophy count.

I also don't think that you can lump cheaters or hackers into the Trophy Hunters category. IMO, they would either be a separate category or fit more appropriately into the "Trophy Whore" category.

There is also a lot of controversy over the term "cheaters" as well. Some people are more strict in these terms whereby you are considered a cheater if you boost a trophy or use an in-game exploit to earn a trophy easier than it was intended.

I guess after considering all the above, I don't actually agree with those categories :lol:

I prefer Trophy Slut = Trophy Completist

I know the feminine reference is what everyone understands and generally uses. But can it not be replaced by Trophy Gigolo?

Edited by Edunstar84

Oh for the love of Bullshitticus.

I don't care. Just try not to confuse cheaters with hackers.

Hackers use external means (third party software/unbind save files), cheaters use whatever the games allows to (collision bugs, money exploits, take your pick) because if it is in the game, it is fair game.

Taking advantages of a games flaws, isn't cheating. 

If glitching in game is cheating then so is cross saving and multilayer boosting, at that point everyone's a cheater lol.

I'd call all that fair game. 

Hacking and cheating are different, hacking is downloading software that makes a games trophies pop in 30 seconds, that can be used on most games.

Cheating is downloading a save file of a certain game to give, certain and specific trophies.

Glitchers and boosters aren't cheaters imo. They're cheap in the way they go about getting trophies perhaps, but not cheaters.

All my opinion of course.

I think the term trophy whore is down right pathetic is all honesty, that's what butt hurt immature gamers call other gamers who don't fit their personal definition of what a gamer is.

You see it all the time with dummies who try to present their opinion as fact   "oh you're a gamer if you play all different kinds of games for fun" "You're not a gamer if you play for trophies" 

No, you're a gamer if you play video games, regardless of why you play.

If you find it fun playing for trophies, play for trophies, if you hate trophies and just play for the story, play for the damn story! 

Calling someone a trophy whore is just silly. No they're a gamer who likes to collect trophies. They don't need a separate definition.

No one called people who collected pokemon cards because they liked the pokemon creatures, pokewhores.  

They were just known as people who collected pokemon cards lol even if they didn't play the actual card game.

Edited by o_0
  • Like 1

I don't really like being labelled. I'm just a gamer who likes to earn trophies like everyone else here.

:yay: THIS!!! OMG THIS!!!  :yay:

I always hate it so much that people seem to be obsessed with categorizing people and neatly filing them away into groups. Whether it's religion, race, gender, sexual orientation, education, income, political views, background, occupation, etc there is no end to this madness. HUMANS ARE UNIQUE PEOPLE. This idea that we can do a quick study of a small portion of the population and then extrapolate that data to determine how EVERYBODY in the world is, feels, or thinks......do we not understand how utterly absurd this is? 6 billion people on this globe man! 

Whether it's gamers or some other large group of people who share a basic commonality, it's so foolish to me to sit there and say, "here are the types of people in the world, which one are you?" INDIVIDUALS MAN! INDIVIDUALS! We all have different views, thoughts, feelings, beliefs, desires, and struggles. We don't belong to any categories except the category of being human!!

So yeah.....I guess I disagree.  :blush:

Edited by RedEye420
  • Like 1

No, I'd had to add a seperate category. I don't play games solely based on trophies. I play a game, complete it and then I focus on the trophies, and if there is a game that is too hard to platinum i leave it... I guess it is kind of casual, but I do enjoy actually collecting the trophys, so it's kind of a mix between the first 2...

Should be a category called trophy collector. People who like earning trophies but refuse to play games solely for platinums and are not afraid to leave games they don't like.

Glad to see I'm not the only one who plays like this! I love games. Full stop. If I enjoy a game enough I'll go for the plat and get everything I can out of the game. I love earning trophies as well, but I'll never persist if I'm not having fun and enjoying my time gaming and hunting :D

1. Non-Trophy players:

2. Trophy casuals:

3. Trophy hunters:

6. Trophy whores:

I suppose on this I'd probably fit at around the 3; I have been guilty of going for some trophies that were a bit of a grind to get the plat, and I do love plats (i.e. 4), but I'm not willing to do it for every single game if I don't enjoy the game at all

• Like 2

Cheating is downloading a save file of a certain game to give, certain and specific trophies.

No. If I give you one of my saves from any games I own, that save will not work on your profile.

Saves you find online are hacked to remove the "binding" they have to the owner's account.

This is hacking.

No. If I give you one of my saves from any games I own, that save will not work on your profile.

Saves you find online are hacked to remove the "binding" they have to the owner's account.

This is hacking.

The guy who removes the binding is the hacker.

The guy who downloads the hacked saved file and uses it to get trophies, is a cheater. That person didn't hack anything.

They are correct overall. I don't agree with the statement that getting multiple regions of a game is cheating though. But that's not the point.

Either way, labels like those are unnecessary. Trophy hunters should be part of one big group, not a bunch of small ones.

• Like 1

I enjoy to make trophies for a game, but I don't force myself through them, only if I feel like Plat that game or having fun with them. I.e. I got GoW: Ascension to 92% since the game was released on my first playthrough. Until this weekend I wanted to plat this game and so I did.

I can't categorize myself, if I don't like a game, I don't play it anymore, if I want to plat one but feel bored I don't go for it until I want to, and if I LOVED the game, I plat it right away, and sometimes I'm a casual player.

The guy who removes the binding is the hacker.

The guy who downloads the hacked saved file and uses it to get trophies, is a cheater. That person didn't hack anything.

Still hacking. You are downloading a third party piece of software.

Doesn't matter if it is a program to deprotect save files, or already deprotected save files.

The result is the same.

And those who use hacked save are banned from this site as hackers.

fully agree with the list except the cheatin/non cheatin part relevance to hunters... im not sure hunters would go that far to finish a game so i'd just list cheats as dirty rotten cheats

the whore part sums up quite a few ppl i've had the misfortune of meetin through forums, its ironic that i get called one myself by these types of players just because i own a few lego games but i only play games i think i'll enjoy... if its not fun i'll play a new game

i dont consider whores/extreme completionists gamers really, i think they're under achievers so use games as a staple to feel good and brag online...

also ppl are postin that hackers and cheaters are two different things, they might be but the end outcome is the same which is to cheat so they are the same...

then some are postin 'why do we need to be pigeon holed'... unfortunately thats the way it works, everyone is their own person but people do all go into categories/types... there is not one individual person on the globe different from everyone else i guarantee it unless its a 6 armed purple skinned chinese australian black man who plays football with a pingpong while dancin to cotton eye joe and is straight but married to a dude... ppl that think they are unique are usually weirdos that want attention...

Edited by DARKSCORPONOXR

I used to be obsessed with trophies and wanted to buy cheap games that give a easy platnuim, but once I reached 1,000 trophies my obsession with trophies faded away. I still like trophies and plan to buy more games obviously, but depending on the platnuim difficulty I won't put myself into a situation where the game becomes so repetitive and I'm not having fun anymore and cursing at the game.

Some interesting discriptions. I used to go for steam achievements so I think I'll fall under somewhere between casual and a platinum hunter. 100%, while impressive, Is not for me since I tend to not buy DLC unless its a GOTY (going by my PC habbits..maybe it will change but I doubt it lol)

So casual Plat hunter here.. One thing I can say for sure is if I want the plat I'll go for it even if its a hard game. But I won't buy Hannah Montana for trophies :awesome:

My opinion.

We can split trophy hunters on the legality of their actions in order to obtain trophies:

1. Legit Hunters (White) - the ones who don't use CFW PS3 in order to unlock trophy.

2. CheatHunters (Black) - the ones who sometimes or all times use CFW PS3 in order to unlock some trophies.

Any of this gamers can be still divided in 4 groups according to their styles of earning trophies:

1. TrashHunters - the ones, who play all what they can just to earn trophies. Multiple trophy lists, japan novels, 6 copies of Sound Shapes, whatever else...

2. Casual Trophy Hunters - the ones, who don't really care about trophies for some reasons (that can be lack of time, lack of skill, lack of wish to do something to earn the trophy while they like the idea). They earn them while they can do that easily. (Even with that it's still trophyhunters and for me it's silly to say that they don't like trophies at all, they just maybe too lazy to do something special tasks).

3. Pro Style Trophy Hunters - their target is to earn hard platinums. They don't think about amounts of their trophies etc. They just play some type of games (Good example is shooters like Resistance 2, Far Cry 2, Killzone 2-3) and they can put much time on the way to the platinums.

4. GamerHunters - the ones who put the game above trophies but prefer to earn platinums. The main idea is that they prefer to play games what they like.

5. Completionists - these group of trophy hunters looks similar to 1 group but they don't play all different shit (xD) just to earn trophies, they just earn 100% in any games what they like and play.

And of course anyone can be categorized not in only 1 group. This is just absolute conditions. For me, I like to earn trophies, I'm completionist, really like to get 100% in all games but I have lack of time to complete all my games and lack of skill to complete battles in injustice (I hadn't played much but I don't have enough time to practice my skills).

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not one for labels. I play games because I love video games, but I also like to get the trophies as a badge of honor for my success in the game. However, they are just electronic trophies. We don't get anything for the trophies except for pride. If I don't like a game or the trophies to get the platinum require hours of grinding and so on, I move on to the next game. Games are for entertainment. They aren't supposed to be work.