What guide(s) are you currently writing?

Beyondthegrave07

7 hours ago, lagoonaris said:

It is my first time writing a guide so I'm not sure how much of a revising it will need. But since I'm used to writing different kind of text forms and getting them reviewed I'm used to rewriting stuff myself. So it would be enough to proofread my English (mostly the right use of vocabulary and some sentence building) and telling me which paragraphs I could rewrite. I always prefer to rewrite my stuff myself since it's the only way of improving :)

Best of luck to you. If you have any questions on how the guide process works, drop the question off here, and I am sure someone will come to help. Many very experienced guide writers follow this topic and keep track of what's going on.

By the way, if anyone sees a game on the list that's already published, please let me know and I'll remove it from the list. Thanks in advance to anyone who volunteers.

• Like 1

Game: Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

Platform: PlayStation 3

Current condition: Awaiting review

Accepting help?: Yes.

I actually started this guide right after joining the site in February 2016 and completely forgot about it when it was knocked back. Today I noticed another thread regarding guides and it suddenly clicked that I need to finish it. It occurred to me it probably isn't very useful since it's a pretty old game but I decided to finish it anyway. I wanted to do a different guide for a game that's more relevant but unfortunately it's the only game I own that doesn't have a guide. 

I'm thinking whether it gets approved or not it's probably worth having a look at the wording most of all, I'm not great with explanations and sometimes have trouble being concise. Although I've used guides, it's the first one I've written so I'm certain someone more experienced could improve it a lot. 

• Like 3

I've been working on a guide for Caladrius Blaze for the past 2 to 3 days. Just submitted it a little while ago. Hopefully things work out with that guide, considering some of the materials took hours to upload and put together ?. Trying to get more bullet hell shooter guides out there since no one really seems to tackle those. Also, while I'm not working on it currently I was wondering if one or two people might want to do a collaboration on Onechanbara Z2: Chaos there's a lot of information and things to keep track of and I don't want to drop it midway.

47 minutes ago, EternalChaos72 said:

Damn, and here i was hoping someone would be writing a Yakuza: Kiwami trophy guide :( 

I STILL haven't finished Yakuza 0 lol. Though a guide with that much depth and that time consuming is most likely at the very least going to take a month or two to get out.

• Like 3

The guide for Caladrius Blaze was accepted, just to let you know. ? Had a lot of fun putting that together. Also I noticed that someone already did a guide for Onechanbara Z2:Chaos, but its for a different region. If someone wants to do a guide in a different region, does that count as a second guide for that game? I mean they do share different pages, but the content of the trophies are identical and how you go about acquiring them aren't different. Does anybody know?

• Like 1

Game: Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection

Platform: PlayStation 3

Current condition: Published - LINK

Accepting help?: Yes.

Sega Mega Drive Ultimate Collection can be removed from the list, it was published several hours ago. As I said it's my first guide so if anyone wants to have a look and suggest potential improvements feel free to leave a comment or tag me in a reply in this thread. I've left the link under the current condition heading. Also I'll be around less over the next few weeks, my holiday from work ends on Tuesday (19th September) and I may be slow to implement changes so if anyone wants to be added as a collaborator let me know.

Edited by FarSideOfSaturn
  • Like 4

Well, the WWE2K17 trophy guide just got published so you can cross that one of the list. I'm going to work on creating two guides for my next run:

Game: Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink

Platform: PS4

Current condition: Just started

Looking for help: No

Game: Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink walkthrough guide

Platform: PS4

Current condition: Just started

Looking for help: No

The actual trophy guide shouldn't be too much of an issue. The majority of the work will go towards the walkthrough guide.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, lagoonaris said:

Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning got published today. So you can cross that off the list. (Yay, succesfully wrote a guide the first time ^.^)

I'll probably try myself on the KoA:R DLCs next, namely "Teeth of Naros" and "Legend of Dead Kel". Will probably do the latter first since I like that one more.

Congrats on the first guide.

• Like 2

Hi all, 

Im not new to guide writing, but I would be on this site, just a few questions please:

What is the guide format like, is it easy to use and is there a good selection of formatting features? 

I see some games with multiple posted guides, what are the rulesvsurrounding this? 

Platinum Walkthroughs, i know some of these exist fot teeny weeny games, but does the site accept these for all games because content would vary greatly? 

Just looking for this info as O may post some guides here in the future, 

Thank you ;)

2 hours ago, optimusmart said:

Hi all, 

Im not new to guide writing, but I would be on this site, just a few questions please:

What is the guide format like, is it easy to use and is there a good selection of formatting features? 

I see some games with multiple posted guides, what are the rulesvsurrounding this? 

Platinum Walkthroughs, i know some of these exist fot teeny weeny games, but does the site accept these for all games because content would vary greatly? 

Thank you ;)

Depends on how good you are at knowing what you want and exploring and experimenting. My first guide was fairly recently for Sonic Mania and it got posted no problem, which surprised me honestly. I didn't need to really get coached on learning the system till I made my guide for Ghost Blade HD, the format to me is easy, but understanding the context of how tags work was a difficult thing for me. There are also a few things regarding the format you may want to look out for, like no double spacing between periods or redundant information listed in the trophy, etc etc. Those are just my suggestions, as those are things I struggled with. However you may have some different qualms so just follow this-

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/1-psnprofiles-writing-a-guide

This is the community standard guide on how to write a guide, it should answer the majority of questions and If you don't know how to label something or convert something, either ask around or leave it alone until a staff member reviews it, they usually give helpful feedback. All in all I think it's a pretty self explanatory system, just check how other published guides are done and then see how you can implement the aspects you like into your own.

Also yes all games accept guides unless previously someone had a guide up and it was plagiarized I believe. I've seen that a couple times.

Also in regards to the multiple guides sometimes depending on the content (Basically does it provide something new or a totally different perspective) the site will allow for multiple guides, if you have relatively the same information you're usually encouraged to give the new information to the current guide writer for them to credit you or to partner with them.

Edited by Ghoststorm71
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, optimusmart said:

Hi all, 

Thank you ;)

The guide system here is very easy to use, and you'll get help here from many people. Also for the Platinum Walkthroughs, here is an example of a not so teeny, weeny game.

I think for multiple guides for 1 game, I remember reading that if you think you can write better than you can write one.

8 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

Also for the Platinum Walkthroughs, here is an example of a not so teeny, weeny game.

FYI, my upcoming walkthrough for Clockwork Tales: Of Glass and Ink will look like a pile of crap compared to that guide. Geez ?

To answer @optimusmart query, the guide writing system is really easy to use and you shouldn't have a problem with it. My advice is to do a little research before diving into guide writing. Read the guide writing tutorial @Ghoststorm71 posted for you. Read other guides that have already being published and see how much detail the writer has put into each trophy description. Even if the trophy is pretty easy to unlock, you need to give as much detail as possible. Treat the reader as somebody who knows absolutely nothing about the game.

As for walkthroughs, I don't think the guide team refuse any type of guide regardless of how easy or difficult the game is. As I said, I am writing a walkthrough for Clockwork Tales. Ask anybody who played this game and they will tell you it is pretty easy platinum. And it is. But there are sections in the game where I was wandering around for 20 minutes trying to figure out what to do next. I think a walkthrough is justified to prevent future players from getting stuck at certain puzzles or sections in the game. Feel free to create a walkthrough guide for a game you think deserves one.

Edited by Miles_Warren
  • Like 2

10 hours ago, Ghoststorm71 said:

Depends on how good you are at knowing what you want and exploring and experimenting. My first guide was fairly recently for Sonic Mania and it got posted no problem, which surprised me honestly. I didn't need to really get coached on learning the system till I made my guide for Ghost Blade HD, the format to me is easy, but understanding the context of how tags work was a difficult thing for me. There are also a few things regarding the format you may want to look out for, like no double spacing between periods or redundant information listed in the trophy, etc etc. Those are just my suggestions, as those are things I struggled with. However you may have some different qualms so just follow this-

https://psnprofiles.com/guide/1-psnprofiles-writing-a-guide

This is the community standard guide on how to write a guide, it should answer the majority of questions and If you don't know how to label something or convert something, either ask around or leave it alone until a staff member reviews it, they usually give helpful feedback. All in all I think it's a pretty self explanatory system, just check how other published guides are done and then see how you can implement the aspects you like into your own.

Also yes all games accept guides unless previously someone had a guide up and it was plagiarized I believe. I've seen that a couple times.

Also in regards to the multiple guides sometimes depending on the content (Basically does it provide something new or a totally different perspective) the site will allow for multiple guides, if you have relatively the same information you're usually encouraged to give the new information to the current guide writer for them to credit you or to partner with them.

10 hours ago, Edunstar84 said:

The guide system here is very easy to use, and you'll get help here from many people. Also for the Platinum Walkthroughs, here is an example of a not so teeny, weeny game.

I think for multiple guides for 1 game, I remember reading that if you think you can write better than you can write one.

Thanks guys for your advice, i will bear them all in mind. Ive been looking the the tutorial, seems a very friendly process for guide writers

@Edunstar84

That guide that you linked, although I cant comment on the content of content, it likes awesome, exactly what I had in mind. I do exactly the same thong you see, I have about 7 platinum walkthroughs under my belt so far

I used to write for playstationtrophiesz but ive gone a bit off their guide process, so I then sort of branched to Gamefaqs, thats a good site for guides, its just got a lot of traffic, notuch for trophy hunters

So now im sort of working on my own sort of thing with my guides, but have been looking here quite a bit l8ly, and was thinking maybe i coyld add some guides here in the future depending on how it is for me

Looks very good what im seeing so far, im glad they allow platinum walkthroughs as extensive as that, playstationtrophies hasnt quite got the right format that complements such guides