PS3 YLOD Save Data

Big Puto

I have a fat PS3 that is not turning on because of the YLOD. On that ps3 I have several game saves that I really want to recover so I can transfer them to my new ps3 slim. Is there any way I can fix my fat ps3 and recover the game saves? When I went to sony they said that if they fix it than all of the game saves will be deleted. Is there any way I can recover my game saves even if I can't fix my fat ps3? 

There are a few ways to "fix" the YLOD. It seems there is no real way to permanently fix it so your best bet is to get it running again, backup all your saves and transfer them to the Slim. A quick Google search shows quite a few ways but this one seems pretty detailed and easy to follow. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow+Light+of+Death+Repair/3654

Hope that helps,

Parker

There are a few ways to "fix" the YLOD. It seems there is no real way to permanently fix it so your best bet is to get it running again, backup all your saves and transfer them to the Slim. A quick Google search shows quite a few ways but this one seems pretty detailed and easy to follow. 

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Yellow+Light+of+Death+Repair/3654

Hope that helps,

Parker

Alas, you are incorrect sir.  My fatty launch model would be a perfect example of a permanent fix.  Been a year and a half, roughly, since I fixed the YLOD.  Just takes some tenacity.  The following link is how I started.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=ps3+ylod+permanent+fix 

• Like 1

Shouldn't it be possible to simply remove the hard drive from the fat ps3? I thought slim and fat use the same HDDs, so he could simply put the fat HDD in the slim, copy the save files to an usb stick, replace the hDDs again and copy the files back.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, was just a quick idea.

Thanks guys for the responses. The thing is that I don't know anything about repairing and I don't want to farther damage my ps3 by trying to fix it. Is there an easy fix like a hair dryer? or is there anyone who I can give this ps3 to repair it other than Sony, so that my game saves can be recovered? 

Shouldn't it be possible to simply remove the hard drive from the fat ps3? I thought slim and fat use the same HDDs, so he could simply put the fat HDD in the slim, copy the save files to an usb stick, replace the hDDs again and copy the files back.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, was just a quick idea.

You can use the same HDD but as soon as it is placed in a different PS3 it will format when the system boots up which obviously erases all the data that was stored on the drive. So that isn't an option for the OP. It would be nice if it was that easy though. 

Parker 

You can use the same HDD but as soon as it is placed in a different PS3 it will format when the system boots up which obviously erases all the data that was stored on the drive. So that isn't an option for the OP. It would be nice if it was that easy though. 

Parker 

Is it possible to put the HDD in a extern HDD Case and access it with the PC? Never tried it before xD 

My best advice to you is to count your losses and leave it alone. Just totally based on my experience, if you have no idea what you are doing then you can flip a coin to determine your chances of turning your PS3 into a flat out paper weight. As someone in the IT field, I've attempted the reflow method twice to no avail...the second time causing my fat PS3 to not turn back on at all. By nothing short of a miracle, Sony still accepted my PS3 for repair.

You may just have to (and may be better off) just letting go of the data off your HDD and call Playstation support to swap your fat model for another fat model (about $125 all together)...I would NOT advise getting a newer model since that is a collector's item due to the 100% backwards compatibility. However, there is a small chance that they can actually fix your current PS3 thus not having to worry about replacing the HDD.

Somethings to remember if you take my advice:

1. If you have removed the warrenty sticker in an attempt to get inside the PS3...put it back. Hopefully you didn't tear it or anything because Sony will not attempt to repair it or swap it if it appears to have been tampered with

2. Make sure you send it back with the original HDD that the fat model came with. Again, Sony will not attempt to repair it or swap it since they would consider a new HDD a modification.

3. If Sony is actually able to fix the PS3...buy an external HDD (format it to FAT32...I can help you further with that if it comes to it), USB stick, memory card reader or PS+ subscription and back up your saves! Moving forward if you replace the HDD, hold on to the original in the case that something like this happens again.

But yeah, your best bet is to call Sony customer support and let them handle it. I have a replacement fat model and after about a year and a half its still working ok...thankfully I had multiple backups when my first one kicked the bucket.

Edited by merciful84