Borderlands: Back Online. No, Really.

damon8r351

Servers online? I've been wanting to get this game but i won't get it if i can't even play online on it

Servers were closed 3 days ago and probably won't come back.

I'm sure I read somewhere that Gearbox had planned to "look into migrating the servers" when the GameSpy server shut down was announced. Hopefully that is what they have now done.

That was about PC version only, PS3 version won't be saved.

Edited by alien713

Just checked, once i hit Online Game option, claptrap keeps messing around in background, but menu freezes. It's off.

thank you, hopefully gearbox will revive the servers since i wanna get ready for the pre sequel by getting a platinum in the first game

• 3 weeks later...

If anyone could help me out with the "And They'll Tell Two Friends" Trophy that would be great.

I think we could still get this trophy using a VLAN like XBSlink or Xlink Kai.

Edit: Just saw on the Gearbox Official Forum that there is no way to obtain this trophy in split screen or LAN, you can only earn this trophy by playing in an online game.

Well does anyone know how other people still got this trophy after the servers were shutdown? The last trophy was earned 2 days ago.

Edited by SummerEnds

According to this article it is still possible to get the trophy "And They'll Tell Two Friends"

WARNING: Do not delete your saves as the trophy is tied to at least one of them and not your PSN ID (credit toMsFuruba and stgermain for this info).

Even when the servers are gone, you will still be able to get this trophy using the LAN method below but you must play with someone that got the trophy before the shutdown. Since the Stackable release is less common, it will be that much harder to find someone to setup a LAN with so beware. This trick may mean that this trophy could be considered as an offline one since you don't have to be signed into PSN to use a LAN. Whichever release you have, the trophy will pop during the load screen if you're joining someone or if someone joins you then it will pop moments before they spawn.

There is another way of getting this trophy by setting up a local LAN:

After you click LAN, you have 3 choices:

Join Game
Host Public Game
 (I know it says public but I'm sure the LAN match should have a certain range) (it found nothing when I clicked Join Game)
Select Character (You will default to a level 1 character, if you don't use this) (If the host starts will level 1 char, you will also start the game at beginning)

If you click Join Game it will search and find nothing. After it has tried 1 time it will stay on that screen and give you the option to Host Public Game, you can also back up to the previous menu. You can also press square18x18.png to Refresh List.

Player 1 (bcks007) picked Host Public Game. It brought me to the same exact screen as online mode, where you can jump into your game, i guess before the other person is ready or just wait there.(I waited there)

Player 2 (snowballtheninja) selected Join Game It found bcks007 in about 1-3 seconds, very fast. Trophy popped in the waiting room. I didn't even need to go into the level to earn it.

Credit to bcks007 and snowballtheninja for discovering this.

Note: The description has a typo in it. i.e it says "Played in a co-op game with either an employee of Gearbox or someone who had this trophy", it should say "has".

Confirmed also!

SummerEnds and I worked together and im not exactly sure what did it, but this is everything we had when the trophy popped.

- Two Ps3s

- Two borderlands games

- Lan chords connected to PS3s and modem

- an account that had the trophy

- game save data that had the trophy

- profile data that had the trophy

Trophy popped on the loading screen.

PM me on PSN if you want me to email you the files =)

Just wanted to throw my info into the ring and say that I too am experiencing the same issues that damon8r351 is having.

- When I click "online lobby", the menu freezes and my controller becomes unusable. The music is still fluid and Claptrap is still fully animated but, I can't move the cursor up and down or engage the PS button. If I remain frozen long enough, it signs me out of PSN.

- When I press the PS button to quit the game (on a second controller because I'm now forced to do so due to the first controller freezing), my PS3 freezes.

- Since the PS3 freezes, I have to do a hard reset which, in turn, forces a system restore upon restarting due to the PS3 not being shut off properly.

- When I click "LAN", it goes to the LAN menu but I'm immediately signed out of PSN and am unable to sign back in as long as the game/menu is still loaded.

This is extremely disappointing and frustrating.

if the serveres are still up can someone please help me like effdeegee when i click online the screen flashes black and then everything freezes. Just wondered if anyone had any idea how to stop this and get online working again

if the serveres are still up can someone please help me like effdeegee when i click online the screen flashes black and then everything freezes. Just wondered if anyone had any idea how to stop this and get online working again

The servers are still offline, this is why your PS3 freezes when you try to play online.