PS4 Rail-shooter. Your thoughts?

Beyondthegrave07

This game comes out Tues. for the PS4 and it's a rail shooter, where you hold the controller like a gun and aim at the screen and shoot. What do you think of this? Would you like to see more out of the-box-ideas like this? When it comes out, a demo is also being released. Play it and post your thoughts here too!

• Like 2

A Rail shooter where you shoot by aiming a controller at the screen? That's not out-of-the-box, I was playing rail shooters with the Nintendo light gun when I was 8 years old and I'm 34 now. That might be nostalgic for some people, I'm just a little incredulous that they're still making rail shooters in this day and age.

• Like 1

A Rail shooter where you shoot by aiming a controller at the screen? That's not out-of-the-box, I was playing rail shooters with the Nintendo light gun when I was 8 years old and I'm 34 now. That might be nostalgic for some people, I'm just a little incredulous that they're still making rail shooters in this day and age.

That's what I mean! When's the last time we saw a rail shooter? Better yet, when's the last time a game like this came out for a SONY console? It's strange. I'd expect something like this from a Nintendo console.

• Like 1

That's what I mean! When's the last time we saw a rail shooter? Better yet, when's the last time a game like this came out for a SONY console? It's strange. I'd expect something like this from a Nintendo console.

Resident Evil Chronicles and House of the Dead ports?

Edited by Lady Lilith

I wish they ported more rail shooters on PS3. Stuff like Castlevania The Arcade, Sega Golden Gun, Let's Go Jungle/Island, and Deadstorm Pirates Special Edition.

I forgot about the Time Crisis rail shooters.  I loved Deadstorm Pirates.  Original Resident Evil level cheese.

There's been one game that I've been dying for them to port to the PS3 and that's Time Crisis 3. What a phenomenal rail shooter. All that content. It's just a shame it's on the PS2 and needs a Guncon.

I'll have to look into this game because I love me some rail shooters. BIIIIIIG part of my childhood. Going to putt-putt golf places and playing things like HoTD, Area 51, Terminator and the like. World needs more rail shooters. =)

Mind letting me know which rail shooters you played on the NES? You say 'light gun', so I'm assuming you mean the Zapper, which was with the original NES. I, too, played NES, and I'm older now as well, but the only game I can recall that would be even remotely close to a rail shooter is Duck Hunt, and that's not remotely close to being a rail shooter.

Perhaps you meant Super Scope for the Super NES? In which case your comment is still valid (it's been a while since rail shooters have been around), just less so.

It probably was the Super Scope, I remember looking at the library for the Zapper and thinking that none of these games are rail shooters but not being arsed enough to change my comment. The gist of my point still stands that rail shooters aren't outside the box and have been around forever, though.

They have been around forever, you're right.

One (potentially) redeeming quality this game has is it uses the light bar on the PS4, which is fairly new. Many rail shooters have come out recently, but they've all been rehashes, ports or uninspired sequels (House of the Dead: Overkill, Time Crisis, etc.) Having a new game, especially for only $15, is well worth the price for what may be a fun game.

I hardly see it becoming a long-talked about IP, but the camera + light bar functionality has still gone pretty unused for the PS4, aside from minor things like flashing when you're about to die (Tomb Raider Definitive), so it could be fun.